• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

BaysideBird

Bill Watson (15)
Serious question. Can we dump the RA as our national body? They're a fucking disgrace of an organisation. Perhaps petition WR (World Rugby). I don't know what can be done but this news of Kearns as the frontrunner has descended beyond farce.

The only way I can see it happening is if every club in Australia, or at least the vast majoirty, got together and voted to disaffliate from Rugby Australia, and formed their own governing body, which even then might not work. Only problem being who gets the recognition as the official organisation for Rugby in Australia, with the sponsorships and funding from Gov, SANZAAAAAAR and WR (World Rugby) to go with it. Something tells me if this were to happen, the web of old boy networks would make sure that the money stayed in RA's court. Probably need it to build another Office Block to fit Kearns' head after being made CEO. Jeez, I seem to have developed a bit of dystopian view of Australian Rugby over the last couple of years. Especially being involved in Club Footy and having to deal with governing bodies. I'm in my 20s and losing hair.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
fucken numpty's. they're afraid of upsetting status quo and recruiting a CEO who actually challenges them on a professional scale.

Actually would you not think that there is a significant danger of any outsider doing what happened at the Brumbies? Remember the land deals and questions of money allocated that look like they have now been made "clean" through lack of formal action? Just imagine if an outsider had a look through those "commercial in confidence" matters that formed the complete basis of Clyne and Pulver's evidence to the Senate committee. Then there is the Foxsports angle, the ARU/RA with a Kearns appointment will have a complete dominance on the main commentary avenues and "authoritive voices" with Horan and Gregan having previously held senior ARU roles, Eales & Kafer having current roles and Clarke having a vested interest in his son in not making waves (even though he has a proven record of being unable to offer any genuine critique). This completes their control of the information cycle. Two bases covered with one appointment. Now one could rightly say that I am cynical about the ethical standards of those involved with the ARU (and Foxsport) and you would be totally correct in that, however I would suggest that there is no evidence to suggest that my cynicism is not firmly rooted in a solid factual basis.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Again, I would ask the question: who on earth would take the job on?

Incidentally, if we look around Australian sport, we are not exactly replete with wonderful managers. John Coates? David Gallop? James Sutherland? All pretty bloody mediocre, frankly, if not downright poor, even awful.

Gillon McLachlan is the only one who stands out in a crowd. A man of medium height amongst pygmies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Lessons learned? :
"And as Jones left the room, the [Brumbies] board said 'and that's the last time we get an outsider'". - p.Tah

Let's not rewrite history though......... Jones was responsible for killing memberships - it's something that gets glossed over by the land deal controversy.

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
Kearns might be brighter than he comes across in his Fox Sports role. Let's hope so.
I'm guessing he has to be.
Still for a public role like this how he comes across is probably not the image we need for rugby in Australia.

Just waiting for dismal and Phil kearns tears tomato an appearance on this thread.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Let's not rewrite history though... Jones was responsible for killing memberships - it's something that gets glossed over by the land deal controversy.

That's new. I like the media must have missed that one. Can't seem to find it anywhere in the media. I know about the "loyal" Brumbies fans upset as seats were reclassified to stop the losses so they had a team to watch had a very minor impact for a very short period. I am aware after his departure both membership and crowd numbers hit all time lows and have not yet recovered.

Sadly on this one I have to say your comments is an illustration of the attitude that is being called out.

History will show that the outsider that supposedly is the villain had the last part of the governance changes that he was implementing before being outed finally all implemented late this year. Yes, his work has just been finished. Ironically the last parts at the ACT government instance after their audit.

Turned out the supposedly hated outsider knew what he was doing. First person in nearly a decade that turned the financial in the right direction and with out the knife it would be the second year of good profits. As for his governance changes; pretty much all implemented including requirements around skills and quantification's for Board members.

"Mr Jones was forecasting a $2.6 million turnaround by the end of 2016 to record a $1 million profit." (CBR Times) - It was $800K on Jones payout plus legal and a few other expenses attributed to the Jones knifing that made them make a small loss that year IIRC? Pretty close to the mark and confirmed as correct by the Brumbies chairman when the released the annual report.

Brumbies annual report states that membership that year was over 9000 and they attracted one of the biggest crowds in a long time.

Did you buy that horrible blue Brumbies jersey that was one of the highest selling in the clubs history? You know that one Jones came up with. Twit wasn't he.

I agree with what you opened with; let not rewrite history hey. ;)

fucken numpty's. they're afraid of upsetting status quo and recruiting a CEO who actually challenges them on a professional scale.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I see Raelene Castle has been touted as the other candidates for CEO, I'm not really surprised if she misses out as I suspect she's probably a little too direct & unwilling to put up with boys club bullshit for RA's liking......

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I see Raelene Castle has been touted as the other candidates for CEO, I'm not really surprised if she misses out as I suspect she's probably a little too direct & unwilling to put up with boys club bullshit for RA's liking..
Her role at the Bulldogs was not nearly as complex as the ARU role.
Bulldogs are a mess, she was either no good at her role, or too weak to deal with the chairman, or more likely a combination of the two.

So they'll probably give it to her.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Funny abou that, cos the controversy about the land deal didn't really warrant much attention did it?

I don't recall saying that? Jones did some good things in his tenure, but I don't buy into the persecuted outsider myth. Anyways, I had a much lengthier response for mst....... but I accidentally deleted it because of this broken forum, and I'm too hungover to care.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I had a much lengthier response for mst... but I accidentally deleted it because of this broken forum, and I'm too hungover to care.

Thank goodness!

History already shows that most of what he was slighted with was incorrect and he proved the point that just one outsider with the right business acumen, experience, vision and strength being brought in could change so much so easily. IIRC 13 years of financial struggles and he turned it in a year and completely changed the organisations governance. Ironically its his blueprint they operate by today minus his vision.

The mind boggles when you consider this much maligned outsider steered the Brumbies to a $2.6mil financial turn around in one year and the ARU cut an entire team to save $6.

Slim, lets just agree to disagree on this one and move on.

T

TOCC

The mind boggles when you consider this much maligned outsider steered the Brumbies to a $2.6mil financial turn around in one year and the ARU cut an entire team to save $6.

Well, the extra $1.8million that the ARU gave each team probably had a lot to do with that and isnt really a reflection of the actual organisations performance

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Well, the extra $1.8million that the ARU gave each team probably had a lot to do with that and isnt really a reflection of the actual organisations performance
Agreed its always hard to gauge but the key was the turn around from continuing losses and changes in trading arrangements that helped the financials and still is.

Post Jones the ACT Government have reportedly kicked in more than they ever have in the past .