• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

If they have a $400k bill that was wasted this season cutting that by a half would be a win meaning $200k could be spent on usable players

It is also freeing up allocated funds is not costing them

That would mean they are paying $200k just to not have a player at the club.... that isn’t a ‘win’ as far as I’m concerned. Reds don’t have the player depth or money to be just throwing it away like this.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Richard Graham, Goromaru, Pickle, Moore and Cooper. They are standing in front of a truckload of cash disappearing into the Red sunset just as someone walks into frame of the Ballymore carpark

you missed out the Connolly cash pay out as well. Almost a season worth of cash gone in that lot of names. Add in the first season of Hunt while he was doing, sorry writing lines for being naughty.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Rugbynutter, it certainly sends a message.

But for all parties involved it would have been better to send this message months ago. QRU wasted months deliberating on who the new coach would be, and then when they did Thorn took a couple of months to cut Quade.

That’s what pisses me off the most about this, the timing of the decision is shocking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I don't understand the couple of months decision Thorn made to cut Quade TOCC ...I actually agree with most that this was a controversial decision and would have taken time to reflect on even by Thorn who may have preconceived views on Quade...including assessing as part of his decisions QC (Quade Cooper)'s performance in NRC and Barbarian's game. Gees I just think Thorn being judged harshly for making the big calls I would have thought you want a coach who backs himself to make. I am not saying he might be wrong or right but made a big call that others may have shied away from.... Prepared to cut him some slack and benefit of the doubt for big decisions like this and see how translates in terms of end of season assessment.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
All this money talk has nothing to do with BT, and I don’t agree with his decision either. The Reds should be getting rid of the recruiter that has been throwing money around left right and center. Sign them young on a 2 year deal with performance clauses. Sign them old on a 1 year deal with options to renew.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
All this money talk has nothing to do with BT, and I don’t agree with his decision either. The Reds should be getting rid of the recruiter that has been throwing money around left right and center. Sign them young on a 2 year deal with performance clauses. Sign them old on a 1 year deal with options to renew.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Easier said than done - I doubt many players or their agents would sign such contracts. Certainly the better ones would just go elsewhere.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Ever the optimist.

Well, at the moment, they might be $400K in the hole per annum, so the least shit option might be the best they can hope for. It doesn't mitigate the process of getting into the crap in the first place.

T

TOCC

I don't understand the couple of months decision Thorn made to cut Quade TOCC .I actually agree with most that this was a controversial decision and would have taken time to reflect on even by Thorn who may have preconceived views on Quade.including assessing as part of his decisions QC (Quade Cooper)'s performance in NRC and Barbarian's game. Gees I just think Thorn being judged harshly for making the big calls I would have thought you want a coach who backs himself to make. I am not saying he might be wrong or right but made a big call that others may have shied away from.. Prepared to cut him some slack and benefit of the doubt for big decisions like this and see how translates in terms of end of season assessment.

This isn’t anger at Brad Thorn, it’s frustration at systematic failure at a multitude of layers in the QRU which have converged at this point.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Need to start the season on fire with only 2 Home Games in the first 7 matches for the Reds next year too.

If they rock into Suncorp for Round 10 at 2 & 5 or worse, QRU could be hitting up Twiggy Forrest for some emergency funding.

Actually, maybe they should suggest "Twiggy Rugby" sign Quade now?
7d3dd5389e4909157c9afb8fb30cf022.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

fo!!ower

Chris McKivat (8)

Anyone else thinking that maybe the Reds are going to be wearing maroon for their home jersey in 2018? There maroon jersey they wore against the Tahs this year was very popular, and there's been a lot more use of maroon in the membership promos and general marketing material this time.

I reckon Thorn would prefer them wearing maroon too.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
^^^^
Might be the best $400K we've ever spent.

To be frank, Quade has done fuckall since he came back to the Reds and I reckon the ire should be directed towards the bloke / s who made the decision in the first place.

I'm as sentimental as the next bloke but comes a time that sentiment doesn't necessarily build team culture and wins rugby games.

Having said that IMO Quade has, in the day, been the most talented and exciting footballer (at times) over the past 10 years in Australian rugby.

T

TOCC

Anyone else thinking that maybe the Reds are going to be wearing maroon for their home jersey in 2018? There maroon jersey they wore against the Tahs this year was very popular, and there's been a lot more use of maroon in the membership promos and general marketing material this time.

I reckon Thorn would prefer them wearing maroon too.

They took a survey last year, and i believe people were overcoming the in fan of the return of maroon, or at least using it more often. I actually like the Red, but see merit to returning to maroon

T

TOCC

It just is down to outlook, at the moment we have 400k wasted

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Spin it however you like FP, but this ain’t a positive outcome for anyone involved. Some may be happy Quade is out, but Australian Rugby potentially wasting $400-$500k money on a player who won’t play in Australia is never a positive outcome. Nor is leaving it until a point so late in the season that it makes it difficult for the players to find a new home for 2018, or at the very least, hinders their ability to extract maximum value and reduce the contractural burden on the QRU. How many other players who have left for OS or current OS have also missed the opportunity to earn a contract because it was left so late to make the decision.

It’s a right clusterfuck

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Spin it however you like FP, but this ain’t a positive outcome for anyone involved. Some may be happy Quade is out, but Australian Rugby potentially wasting $400-$500k money on a player who won’t play in Australia is never a positive outcome. Nor is leaving it until a point so late in the season that it makes it difficult for the players to find a new home for 2018, or at the very least, hinders their ability to extract maximum value and reduce the contractural burden on the QRU. How many other players who have left for OS or current OS have also missed the opportunity to earn a contract because it was left so late to make the decision.

It’s a right clusterfuck

I assume errors\bad decisions will always happen. You can either bemoan errors or look forward and try to not make the same errors again. A new boss/coach will always have some aspect of upheaval, Thorn didn't select a load of the squad, there were always going to be winners and losers I think Cooper was worth the punt on his past performance when he was contracted. I think the decision at that time was a decent one, but since his injury hejust hasn't been the same and this decision is also understandable. When was the last time he bossed a game? He now sits too deep, doesn't attack the line and his defense is high arm grabs that either slow someone down or slip up and he spends another 10 minutes in the bin

Status
Not open for further replies.