• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

I assume errors\bad decisions will always happen. You can either bemoan errors or look forward and try to not make the same errors again.

Yes well let’s just say that >1 week is still in the threshold of bemoaning poor decisions...as for looking forward and hoping errors don’t occur again, well like the ARU, it’s hard too do that when the people who made the poor decisions are still in charge...

Like I said earlier, this is a systematic failure at multiple levels of the QRU, not just BT

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
If he signs elsewhere but still requires a 200k subsidy, they have still saved 200k pa

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

I know its hypothetical, but if he can, at this stage of the season, sign for $400K for two years with someone it would be close to a miracle. Remember that RA will want half of any saving because they are paying half his salary.

What seems to be lost on some posters is that in the grand scheme of things Australian rugby cannot afford to have another shit season while the QRU sorts its contracts out. The Reds cannot afford to be 8L-2W after 10 rounds; the impact of that on the gate takings is irrepairable and they'll be back to RA with their hand out for another bailout. Already they have lost Moore and probably Smith. Quade was on that sort of money for a reason - he's a top level player.

I can see this quietly going away in January with Quade rejoining the squad after the Christmas break and everyone having to eat a large slice of humble pie. There is no other sensible resolution. Pickle is another matter. They've got good alternatives ready to go and he wasn't costing $400K a season.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I assume errors\bad decisions will always happen. You can either bemoan errors or look forward and try to not make the same errors again. A new boss/coach will always have some aspect of upheaval, Thorn didn't select a load of the squad, there were always going to be winners and losers I think Cooper was worth the punt on his past performance when he was contracted. I think the decision at that time was a decent one, but since his injury hejust hasn't been the same and this decision is also understandable. When was the last time he bossed a game? He now sits too deep, doesn't attack the line and his defense is high arm grabs that either slow someone down or slip up and he spends another 10 minutes in the bin

God I tire of pre-determined sophistry. Trotted out in the middle of highly charged events. In terms of the squad and player selection, dropping Quade is or is not an error depending on your point of view. And even if you don't agree with Thorn, a new coach needs to be given room to set the pace and the environment. Let's assume, for now that Thorn discussed his intentions in the run up to the QRU decission to award him the HC role. (Anyone actually believe that?) It is still an error, a factual error, no "bemoaning" involved, of monumental proportions - with respect to the timing and commercial arrangements. Both for the player as an individual and the QRU and ARU with respect to managing a commercial situation. And very poor with respect to depth at 10 in Australian rugby, especially when the commercial obligation has well and truly been committed. "Bemoaning" is an attempt to belittle the situation. Very consistent though with respect to supporting things as they are and arguing against criticism of any kind. Many Quade fans were unimpressed with the way the Reds handled him the last time round. This is twice. Monumental error. In the mean time, Reds membership has been on a distinct trend, there is nothing in this that helps.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
God I tire of pre-determined sophistry.

I find the other options even more tiring, the incessant negativity at the moment just doesn't help and I refuse to walk around under a rain cloud. I would prefer to be getting excited about the opportunity the young 10 is getting to shine, he looks a great prospect.

T

TOCC

I find the other options even more tiring, the incessant negativity at the moment just doesn't help.

What doesn’t help is the incessantly poor decision making by those running the game in this country... FP don’t blame those who are criticising the shit decisions, blame those who are making the shit decisions. It’s about time they are held accountable for their actions, sitting back and pretending nothing is wrong is accepting this mismanagement.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
What doesn’t help is the incessantly poor decision making by those running the game in this country. FP don’t blame those who are criticising the shit decisions, blame those who are making the shit decisions. It’s about time they are held accountable for their actions, sitting back and pretending nothing is wrong is accepting this mismanagement.

TOCC who specifically are you talking about ? We know Thorn was involved. Who else ? AND who made the decision to sign Moore and Cooper to contracts far more than thy were worth ?

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Anyone else thinking that maybe the Reds are going to be wearing maroon for their home jersey in 2018? There maroon jersey they wore against the Tahs this year was very popular, and there's been a lot more use of maroon in the membership promos and general marketing material this time.

I reckon Thorn would prefer them wearing maroon too.

I am probably the only supporter who say no to maroon. Reds is best, I hate when teams have a colour as a name and wear different colour jerseys. We need distinction between Union and League

T

TOCC

TOCC who specifically are you talking about ? We know Thorn was involved. Who else ? AND who made the decision to sign Moore and Cooper to contracts far more than thy were worth ?

Take your pick...
Who is in charge of player recruitment and retention?
Who delayed the decision on making the call on Stiles vs Thorn?
Who recruited Tony McGahan before confirming the head coach for 2018?

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I am probably the only supporter who say no to maroon. Reds is best, I hate when teams have a colour as a name and wear different colour jerseys. We need distinction between Union and League
You do realise that the rugby team was in maroon long before the league team and that the Red colour has only been around for about seven years.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

I do agree with LB that some distinction between league and union is healthy though... despite who wore it first the QRL in essence own the Maroon colour now, in terms of brand recognition they are the ones associated with that. I feel having the vibrant red colour gave them a unique identity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rugger Mate

Allen Oxlade (6)

Let just say the name SAM CORDINGLY. The most overpaid, unprofessional, dictator who has been running the QRU recruitment process for years. Is more protected than the Koalas in Queensland. FFS why the QRU keep him ,nobody knows.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
You do realise that the rugby team was in maroon long before the league team and that the Red colour has only been around for about seven years.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk
actually, isn't the colour supposed to be "cardinal red", not maroon?

(Discovered this on these here forums)

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Cooper is still contracted to the Reds. I don't think we have seen the last of him in a Reds jersey. I think Thorn is laying down a marker here to Cooper. As a player, Cooper has not played with confidence for some years and I think Thorn in a blunt way is indicating that he needs to harden the fuck up. Cooper has always been very engaged with the fans but the raw truth is that he has a habit of self promoting. The Sam Destyari of Australian Rugby so to speak. Absolutely no doubt this would rub Thorn the wrong way. I think that is why Thorn has isolated him from the squad. I don't think it is permanent and the ball is in Coopers court. He has two options, either he earns the respect of the new coach or he cuts and runs. Thorn's first objective is to reform the culture at the Reds and I think this is all about him being part of that plan. I think Cooper is a big part of the Reds moving forward should he buy into the new coaches methods.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Cooper is still contracted to the Reds. I don't think we have seen the last of him in a Reds jersey. I think Thorn is laying down a marker here to Cooper. As a player, Cooper has not played with confidence for some years and I think Thorn in a blunt way is indicating that he needs to harden the fuck up. Cooper has always been very engaged with the fans but the raw truth is that he has a habit of self promoting. The Sam Destyari of Australian Rugby so to speak. Absolutely no doubt this would rub Thorn the wrong way. I think that is why Thorn has isolated him from the squad. I don't think it is permanent and the ball is in Coopers court. He has two options, either he earns the respect of the new coach or he cuts and runs. Thorn's first objective is to reform the culture at the Reds and I think this is all about him being part of that plan. I think Cooper is a big part of the Reds moving forward should he buy into the new coaches methods.

Agree with most but I don't think QC (Quade Cooper) will strive to "earn" the respect of the coach. I don't think he will cut and run. I reckon he'll have the year off super rugby or it's equivalent, play a bit for Souths and then seek a large contract in Japan. Maybe have a couple of bruising contests in the ring. Whichever way it goes I think he is done at the Reds and I wish him all the best for his service to Queensland.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Let just say the name SAM CORDINGLY. The most overpaid, unprofessional, dictator who has been running the QRU recruitment process for years. Is more protected than the Koalas in Queensland. FFS why the QRU keep him ,nobody knows.
It’s a pity you can only like this post once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.