• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Yeah, exactly. Unless there's a specific mention of playing club rugby when available in ARU/QRU contracts (and there might be).
Is he contracted to the reds or qru?? Other players a la Frisby and ready got sent to play in club land last season. This is no different. Unless Quade had a special contract not allowing him to be dropped.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Sauron

Larry Dwyer (12)
Is he contracted to the reds or qru?? Other players a la Frisby and ready got sent to play in club land last season. This is no different. Unless Quade had a special contract not allowing him to be dropped.

Isn't it both? As in, he has a contract with the QRU that covers his Reds pay, and one from the ARU that covers his top-up. I'm not sure if they're all rolled up into a single contract at some point, but he was signed with the ARU and not a Super team for a while before this most recent contract.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
From a legal prospective he is better off to be looking like the aggrieved worker who wants to work but has been the victim of adverse action in case he needs to take formal actions.

But in reality the Reds have prevented him from being in the workplace so he can't work. Its a fairly simple argument to explain that Prem rugby is amateur and not a workplace like the Reds provided; nor like any other Super Rugby franchise or professional team provides.

It is actually worse than that. If they don't release him or he is unable to find alternate employment due to the extremely late culling then he probably won't play rugby next year at a decent level. This could have a long term impact on his future value as a rugby player and could result in a major lawsuit. It would be different if he had done something that could be an immediate termination or had been clearly playing so bad that he didn't have a role in the team (going from starting 10 to outside the squad is a bit of a stretch). This really isn't what Australian rugby needs at the moment.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
The mob who's silence is so alarming in this saga is RUPA. What kind of a gutless, unrepresentative Muppet apparatchik are they? Are they representing the players (workers) here which is exactly what a union is meant to do. The timing of this action should raise a genuine grievance for RUPA to pursue on behalf of its members.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)

The key is in the wording; sent to. He still need to be provided a workplace. Where the game is played is an extension of his workplace for a short period.

The balance (majority) of time is what is the key issue. The simple questions to be asked are is are they provided access to all facilities and support services as per all the other players and are the being included without discrimination in the workplace with the rest of the organisation?

As for where they play, I think it would be hard to convince a magistrate that a you have a full contracted professional player to play Prem grade rugby on your books and that was the intent of the agreement.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Isn't it both? As in, he has a contract with the QRU that covers his Reds pay, and one from the ARU that covers his top-up. I'm not sure if they're all rolled up into a single contract at some point, but he was signed with the ARU and not a Super team for a while before this most recent contract.

That's the fun part of this. I can see both the QRU and ARU in court and not on the same side depending on how the cards fall. The ARU could blame the QRU and take action as I believe that the ARU have the "header" contact.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
The mob who's silence is so alarming in this saga is RUPA. What kind of a gutless, unrepresentative Muppet apparatchik are they? Are they representing the players (workers) here which is exactly what a union is meant to do. The timing of this action should raise a genuine grievance for RUPA to pursue on behalf of its members.

Whats to say? Has there been anything formally announced? Would you want the ARU and QRU to know what your doing if your in Quade's position? Do you know if RUPA is doing / not doing anything?

Being quiet is exactly what they need to be doing. All the scrutiny is on the QRU and ARU so why would you open your mouth and change that? First advice I would have given both players is to say nothing.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)

"Should" or "could" With what we know/don't know at the moment, I think the "could" is more appropriate.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I thought this was an interesting comment for Greg Martin on the Fox site
"“I would say the defence part of it was the biggest aspect and I think Brad wanted to make sure it was his stamp put on the team, not Quade’s.

“Quade developed a bit of a reputation up here that it had to be his way.”"
I hadn't seen it put like this and coach-ability being an issue

dillyboy

Nev Cottrell (35)
^ Yeah that point was a shock to me too.

Although when Link used to say Quade ran the backline was that code for "it was too hard to get him to do otherwise and hey, we were winning"

Everyone after Link (Super Rugby, national & France) have all had issues or not gotten the best out of him so is it a case of my way or f@ck you with Quade??

(I hope not as he's one of my favourite players)

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
The key is in the wording; sent to. He still need to be provided a workplace. Where the game is played is an extension of his workplace for a short period.

The balance (majority) of time is what is the key issue. The simple questions to be asked are is are they provided access to all facilities and support services as per all the other players and are the being included without discrimination in the workplace with the rest of the organisation?

As for where they play, I think it would be hard to convince a magistrate that a you have a full contracted professional player to play Prem grade rugby on your books and that was the intent of the agreement.
But it's performance based. NRL players get dropped all the time. Remember when Sandow was signed on huge dollars and spent serious time in NSW cup.

Provided Quade has been dealt with fairly, I don't see how there is a legal requirement to play him.

The issue would be ifhe was banned from the squad and training sessions. Which isn't clear.

All these comments are based on 2 sentences from bt

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
So now we are putting stock in the utter shit that comes out of Greg Martin's mouth.

That was one of my biggest concerns in quoting him, but that doesn't make the comment incorrect, just in need of more confirmation

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^ Yeah that point was a shock to me too.

Although when Link used to say Quade ran the backline was that code for "it was too hard to get him to do otherwise and hey, we were winning"

Everyone after Link (Super Rugby, national & France) have all had issues or not gotten the best out of him so is it a case of my way or f@ck you with Quade??

(I hope not as he's one of my favourite players)

One of Link's greatest assets (and tools) was to relate to the player how they liked to be related to. He had a very young team at the Reds and he tried to understand them (social media, pop culture etc). He made a real effort in that area. I don't see Brad as that type of guy. As others have noted Brad seems to go for players that fit his ideology. It's probably one of the limitations of a rookie coach. Sooner or later he's going to have to learn with different players of different mindsets and motivations. It may work short term for him, but I don't think it will long term.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
We are all chewing the fat on this but at the end of the day, what is known is so vague, we just don't have a clue what is going on. I hope it all points to Cooper remaining a Reds and develops a good professional relationship with the new coach. This not being played out in a highly public pissing match gives me a little hope that this is what is happening and why we are not privy to it.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
I thought this was an interesting comment for Greg Martin on the Fox site

I hadn't seen it put like this and coach-ability being an issue

I guess that's one way to look at the situation. On the otherhand, as a player it could come off as Thorn already has made up his mind about his team, the starters and any hard work in pre-training is futile as there's no changing the coaches mind. I understand that this clutching at straws.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I like the way the Reds are getting out and selling the big issue. Good little video on their website front page.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I don't see this as a realistic possibility but what a shock is would be to see quade in blue
https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/opinion/99618071/could-quade-cooper-be-the-answer-for-the-blues-at-no-10

Quite a few Blues fans made comments like this up front with the Thorn press release. Quade may also have a chance at the Sunwolves. I would think that the Blues would be of great interest to him, and I'm guessing that quite a few Reds fans would not miss a Blues game over the next two years. All in all I like it. Possible best option commercially for QRU and ARU too, though I'm guessing they would not be looking forward to a successful Quade returning to Aus during the season. Round 17 may all of a sudden be a home game I might be interested in.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't see this as a realistic possibility but what a shock is would be to see quade in blue
https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/opinion/99618071/could-quade-cooper-be-the-answer-for-the-blues-at-no-10

He'll be taking a huge pay cut if the $A800K I've seen bandied around is even remotely accurate: maximum retainer for a Super Rugby player this side of the ditch is $NZ195K & even if they could get some third-party deal(s) signed off by NZR they still have to work within a salary cap of $NZ4.65Mn which I just can't see NZR allowing anyone to exceed under any circumstances.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...all-New-Zealand-Super-Rugby-sides-start-equal

TLDR: tell Johnstone he's dreamin':)

Status
Not open for further replies.