• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I guess that's one way to look at the situation. On the otherhand, as a player it could come off as Thorn already has made up his mind about his team, the starters and any hard work in pre-training is futile as there's no changing the coaches mind. I understand that this clutching at straws.

Isn't that the reality? Most coaches know exactly who is playing where, it takes the challengers to take their minor chances and smash training to get a decent chance in the trails.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
He'll be taking a huge pay cut if the $A800K I've seen bandied around is even remotely accurate: maximum retainer for a Super Rugby player this side of the ditch is $NZ195K & even if they could get some third-party deal(s) signed off by NZR they still have to work within a salary cap of $NZ4.65Mn which I just can't see NZR allowing anyone to exceed under any circumstances.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...all-New-Zealand-Super-Rugby-sides-start-equal

TLDR: tell Johnstone he's dreamin':)

Good payout from Reds / RA and it will soften the blow nicely. If he ended up over the ditch would Izzy follow?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
He'll be taking a huge pay cut if the $A800K I've seen bandied around is even remotely accurate: maximum retainer for a Super Rugby player this side of the ditch is $NZ195K & even if they could get some third-party deal(s) signed off by NZR they still have to work within a salary cap of $NZ4.65Mn which I just can't see NZR allowing anyone to exceed under any circumstances.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...all-New-Zealand-Super-Rugby-sides-start-equal

TLDR: tell Johnstone he's dreamin':)

They’d have to pay him reasonable market value. If that is < $195k but it’s market it’s fine. QRU and ARU sort the difference with the Quade release.

Everyone is a winner.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^^^ or he can play for Souths & keep letting everyone know he's available for the Reds & Wobs whenever he gets the call & collect his $A800K. I know which option I'd take (even without factoring in the BrisVegas v D'Auckland part of the equation:))

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
I think we are missing a key point here with all the Quade talk. The era of box kicking might finally be over. Started with Sanchez lovingly carried on by Pickle. Now hopefully all that frustration of watching us fight so hard for pill only to kick the fuckin thing back to them is over.

Yay.

Sent from my SM-J710GN using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

I’ve watched Tuttle boxkick his fair share... box kicks can be a positive play when executed well, Reds and Wallabies never do that though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
One of Link's greatest assets (and tools) was to relate to the player how they liked to be related to. He had a very young team at the Reds and he tried to understand them (social media, pop culture etc). He made a real effort in that area. I don't see Brad as that type of guy. As others have noted Brad seems to go for players that fit his ideology. It's probably one of the limitations of a rookie coach. Sooner or later he's going to have to learn with different players of different mindsets and motivations. It may work short term for him, but I don't think it will long term.

Sounds like a certain international level coach... ;)

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
One of Link's greatest assets (and tools) was to relate to the player how they liked to be related to. He had a very young team at the Reds and he tried to understand them (social media, pop culture etc). He made a real effort in that area. I don't see Brad as that type of guy. As others have noted Brad seems to go for players that fit his ideology. It's probably one of the limitations of a rookie coach. Sooner or later he's going to have to learn with different players of different mindsets and motivations. It may work short term for him, but I don't think it will long term.

It is interesting to see how this doesn't appear to be a consideration of other top coaches. I don't remember seeing Hanson, Henry, Gatland, Schmidt or Jones bothering about the kiddies twittering. Whilst I understand the theory, it could appear as much like your geriatric aunt wanting to friend you on facebook

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The social media was just such a small part of it. What I'm saying is that McKenzie acknowledged he had different types of people on the squad and that he needed to relate to them in different ways.

It's possible that Brad has a preference to only want certain types of people in his squad. Which I can understand, but suspect it will be something he has to overcome as his coaching career develops.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
1. Slipper 2. Ready 3. Thor
4. Rodda 5. Tui
6. Timu 8. Higs 7. Wright (assuming gsmith injured)

9. Tuttle 10. Stewart 11. Perese 12. DP 13. Kerevi 14. Nabuli 15. Hunt

16. Mafi 17. Faagase 18. Smith 19. Douglas 20. Korczyk 21. Sorovi 22. Sautia 23. Maranta

.....would sure love to have quade in that 22 jersey at least, pushing sautia to 23.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
1. Slipper 2. Ready 3. Thor
4. Rodda 5. Tui
6. Timu 8. Higs 7. Wright (assuming gsmith injured)

9. Tuttle 10. Stewart 11. Perese 12. DP 13. Kerevi 14. Nabuli 15. Hunt

16. Mafi 17. Faagase 18. Smith 19. Douglas 20. Korczyk 21. Sorovi 22. Sautia 23. Maranta

...would sure love to have quade in that 22 jersey at least, pushing sautia to 23.

^^^^^^^^ Pretty good side that. Reckon Sautia a real chance of starting as well as Douglas, depending on his training performances and "hunger" shown.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
^^^^^^^^ Pretty good side that. Reckon Sautia a real chance of starting as well as Douglas, depending on his training performances and "hunger" shown.

Good for a development team. Down on experience. That slow start - 2 home games in 7 won’t help.

Definitely look towards 2019. Have to admit I look forward to seeing how the players develop. And how Thorn handles Cheikas head spins - DP to 10; Karevi to 12, Rodda to 6, Hunt go anywhere but 15.

OTOH, like everyone here, it’s been tough to be a Reds supporter since Link. I can cope with a development year. Or 2. But if dropping Quade is indicative of an intent to physical but dull rugby - I just don’t know how I will go.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I’ve watched Tuttle boxkick his fair share. box kicks can be a positive play when executed well, Reds and Wallabies never do that though.

Hasn't There been changes to the pillar blocking rules?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

Don’t know, i don’t think there was an issue with the laws the way they were. Box kicks serve their purpose especially when you’re pegged on your own try line and can’t pass back.

There’s enough pressure on the halves through dubious line speed defensive patterns. Making it harder for the half to box kick would only encourage further defensively territorial style game plans.

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
Crowd numbers must be a big worry for the QRU next year, never mind the Reds fans that won't turn up. What about all the kiwi's that go along to boo Quade..

Jerry West

Sydney Middleton (9)
Far too many diapers for my liking. Might be a top side in 2019 or 2020.

The Reds will shock teams a few teams next season but I think they won’t win many games. Competitive side though if Thorn can keep them together for a few seasons. I’m saying that a lot are off contract. 2018 a huge year for retention;

Slipper
Faagase
Mafi
Ready
Thor
Tui
Rodda
Douglas
Smith
Korzyck
Timu
Hewat