• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

QPRRF

Frank Nicholson (4)
The fucking head scratching elements here are that;
a) Thorn doesn’t run the QRU, he is the Reds head coach. Given the significant negatives to canning QC (Quade Cooper) with 2 years to run and over a million dollars to pay who the fuck at the QRU would approve such a decision after weighing up the risks and benefits? Surely just a word to QC (Quade Cooper) that he is in a damn big fight for his spot, then allow him to seek a release when or if he doesn’t get much game time based on how he responds?
b) What would lead Thorn to make such a concrete, public decision so at such an inopportune time? Could there really be such a night and day difference between how QC (Quade Cooper) presents himself publicly and what really goes on at Ballymore (in terms of cultural influence)? Because literally every impression given since Quade signed to return has been that he really loves playing for Queensland, desperately wants the Reds to succeed and gets on well with his teammates! I know he was a bit of a brat as a young fella but could he possibly be that different in private?!

QPRRF

Frank Nicholson (4)
QRU
Selections are made via committee.Nathan Sharpe is the leader of it Remember him he’s the one who fucked off to the force. QC (Quade Cooper) sacking would not have been a Thorn Decision. Coaches at the Reds don’t make decisions they follow the wankers at the top then have 29% win loss records then get sacked.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Part of me wants to thinks this reported, but not verified, news of QC (Quade Cooper) (Frisby and Vanzati too, but my main concern is Quade) is actually a misinterpretation and that he is just being sent back to clubland to train.

But that can't be true because Souths would barely be training and what's the point? He's better off being with the squad if there's any chance of him playing next year.

So I am prepared to move on from the decision making process and assume he is gone.

My big concern is now who replaces him???

It's just over 10 weeks until the first Reds' Super Rugby game v Melbourne in Melbourne.

Take out about a week for Xmas and then a couple of weeks of trials and that leaves 7 weeks to mold the squad.

Who the hell is our back up 10, 12 and 15? It just can't be a combination of Duncan P and Hunt. That's totally unfeasible.

As it stands now we have no back up 10, no back up 12 and no back up 15.

It may all be a big game of ducks and drakes and we have guys training with the squad already, but I'd love to know who they are. With all due respect to Patty James and Teti Tela, they don't seem Super Rugby quality to me.

For me this is the biggest concern as we enter the new season.

T

TOCC

Andrew Slack on Quade:

"They haven't let him go precisely. He's still contracted and, if Brad decides he wants him at some stage, at this stage he's there," Slack said on Monday.

QPRRF

Frank Nicholson (4)
QPR Rugby leads to reds rugby (Bullshit)
9 / 10 combo from Sunnybank over the last 2 years would have been enough for any super rugby team to jump all over and build a team around. These two have entertained me. The 10 has everything 80% kick for goal huge general play kicking game and he runs the ball. And he can fucking tackle . Top points scorer two years in a row and he’s only 20. He knocked back a Brumbies academy contract to stay here and train with the reds. The reds will fuck that up and he’ll end up at the Brumbies’s. Finzy Alex Evans medal winner 21 years old and rated no 5 in Qld. How fucking embarrassing. He’s training with the Brumbies

QPRRF

Frank Nicholson (4)
Part of me wants to thinks this reported, but not verified, news of QC (Quade Cooper) (Frisby and Vanzati too, but my main concern is Quade) is actually a misinterpretation and that he is just being sent back to clubland to train.

But that can't be true because Souths would barely be training and what's the point? He's better off being with the squad if there's any chance of him playing next year.

So I am prepared to move on from the decision making process and assume he is gone.

My big concern is now who replaces him???

It's just over 10 weeks until the first Reds' Super Rugby game v Melbourne in Melbourne.

Take out about a week for Xmas and then a couple of weeks of trials and that leaves 7 weeks to mold the squad.

Who the hell is our back up 10, 12 and 15? It just can't be a combination of Duncan P and Hunt. That's totally unfeasible.

As it stands now we have no back up 10, no back up 12 and no back up 15.

It may all be a big game of ducks and drakes and we have guys training with the squad already, but I'd love to know who they are. With all due respect to Patty James and Teti Tela, they don't seem Super Rugby quality to me.

For me this is the biggest concern as we enter the new season.

T

TOCC

Shames about Fines-Leleiwasa, I rate him higher then Sorovi and McDermott currently, I thought he should have been the third halfback on the books ahead of those two.

Strachan hanging around makes sense given Quades axing, although it was fairly ominous when he wasn't included in either NRC squad, but he made a few late appearances at fullback and was quite impressive there. From the QPR ranks, I would like to see Patrick James and Jake Strachan brought in as potential depth for fullback.

QPRRF

Frank Nicholson (4)
Shames about Fines-Leleiwasa, I rate him higher then Sorovi and McDermott currently, I thought he should have been the third halfback on the books ahead of those two.

Strachan hanging around makes sense given Quades axing, although it was fairly ominous when he wasn't included in either NRC squad, but he made a few late appearances at fullback and was quite impressive there. From the QPR ranks, I would like to see Patrick James and Jake Strachan brought in as potential depth for fullback.

Strachan’s reasoning for hanging around was to be mentored by Quade. Quade rates this kid highly. Not sure why you would bring a 10 in to cover for 15 . Especially when your stocks are so low at 10. I’ve watched Strachan play since BSHS Through colts and now QPR and he’s as good a ten that I’ve seen. He’s had offers in NZ Brumbies and choose to stay here and crack Super Rugby for Qld. I don’t think you would find a more loyal player than him. I’d say that if QLD had more players that want to play for QLD cause they love the place they might win a couple more games. And he’s only 20.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Quades on field performances have not been consistently good for years.

If he was performing then I'd be the first to scream bloody murder, Fact is he hasn't - end of.

Sure the blokes a real talent and full of potential. For whatever reason he has not lived up to that potential (except for brief moments) in the last several years. Potential doesn't win rugby games.

There may be other issues but they are dwarfed by the performance one.

T

TOCC

Reds are short both at 5/8 and fullback, I meant to say he should be brought in to the squad becauae he can cover both

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Reds are short both at 5/8 and fullback, I meant to say he should be brought in to the squad becauae he can cover both

I think the silence from both the QRU and Cooper suggests negotiations are ongoing, it it also quite possible that Cooper, at his age and experience, doesn't want to be brought into the squad as "cover"

QPRRF

Frank Nicholson (4)
Instead of signing a local. Reds go and sign Gumbie Brumbie Nick Jooste . The signing committee all should be sacked

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think we all just have to accept that the Reds are a very ordinary professional sporting organization. They were lucky at the start of pro rugby to have a very good coach and some of the best talent in the world. Since then it has been a story of mediocrity, where they have picked coaches based on playing records and not on coaching experience. Link being the exception and that was the result of a “perfect storm” where we sacked the coach and he got the ass from Stade. Eddie was another quality coach but seemed to have his eye on other things during his time here.
The reason given for Stiles getting sacked was that the performance of the team was not up to scratch. If that is the case then Thorn is going to have to do better, in terms of winning games. I can’t see this happening with the Queensland Country NRC team plus the retiring Wallabies, who seem to be the players Thron wants.
I am hopeful that the Reds are successful, but I can’t see it happening in the next few years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

I think the silence from both the QRU and Cooper suggests negotiations are ongoing, it it also quite possible that Cooper, at his age and experience, doesn't want to be brought into the squad as "cover"

I wasn’t talking about Cooper, I was talking about Jake Strachan

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
Even though the above was about Strachan, Cooper is not actually a bad option to provide 10/15 cover. He mostly played 15 with Toulon from memory, and his boot is pretty well suited to it. A lot of the time in defence the last couple of years he was basically playing 15 anyway.

But I think the best outcome at this stage would be for him to find a Japanese or Euro contract and for the Reds to mutually agree to a release. Free up some salary cap to sign new players, because his salary is a bloody expensive way to cover 10 and 15... for that sort of money you could get one quality player of each.

T

TOCC

Instead of signing a local. Reds go and sign Gumbie Brumbie Nick Jooste . The signing committee all should be sacked

Is this confirmed? Jooste is at the Reds?
I find it disappointing that Dylan Riley didn’t pick up a contract. Unless they have some magical plan to get Magnay back.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
Jooste is training at the reds but only on a training contract. Players often train with the their super rugby sides, doesn't mean they are signed. He's playing at Norths this year. Liam Moseley is also back in Queensland from the Brumbies. There is a very exciting crop of young playmakers running around in Prem grade next year.

Wests- Liam Moseley (20)/Lachlan Stewart (19)
Norths- Jooste (20?)
Sunnybank- Jake Stratchan (20)/ Isaac Lucas (18)
Souths- Quade Cooper (29)
Easts-?
GPS-?
Bond- Hamish Stewart (19)
UQ- Alex Horan (20)/ ?

Status
Not open for further replies.