• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Fanfuckintastic - this is the best news Australian Rugby has had for many a day.
Even if she fails it’s a win for rugby because of those ticks.
The bulldogs situation was pretty dire. She left in May. Hasler’s contract had been “renewed” in April. It probably didn’t deserve to be: so there are 2=possible connections between that and her resignation. 1) she thought it was madness; 2) she was the fall guy for the decision.
Now he wants $2m.
I’m hoping 1 is the explanation and it fits better with the known facts.
She’s engaged in an inquiry into the NZ mungo “World Cup” early exit: given the problems there RA should be a cake walk.

She announced she was leaving in May, she left at the end of the season.
Your scenario 1 is unlikely,given she was Haslers biggest fan.
I'd be more bullish on her appointment if she had turned NZ mungo around, and not merely been engaged in an inquiry.
Her results at the Bulldogs were mediocre.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I hope she will come into the job with the best wishes of all true supporters of the game here. She does not have a brilliant CV, but what did we expect?

She does at least know something about rugby, all New Zealanders do. So that is a pretty good start.

As for the rest, let us wait and see. And hope. Frankly, whether or not she succeeds will depend as much on the collective attitudes of the stakeholders of the game as it will on her ability and drive.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I hope she will come into the job with the best wishes of all true supporters of the game here. She does not have a brilliant CV, but what did we expect?

She does at least know something about rugby, all New Zealanders do. So that is a pretty good start.

As for the rest, let us wait and see. And hope. Frankly, whether or not she succeeds will depend as much on the collective attitudes of the stakeholders of the game as it will on her ability and drive.

Yes wanted sports administration pedigree but better sports administration pedigree than what Castle offers (CEO of Netball NZ - not blowing me away - and ok Canterbury RL stint better but not sure what achieved there). But yes take your point what can one expect I suppose for basket case than is Australian Rugby. I personally don't think she is the answer but happy for her to prove me wrong and I will support her if appointed and give her a chance to see what she can do but no easy gig.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
The cynic in me as RA saying ok we will appoint Castle because of her sports administration experience, knowing if she fails they get back less contention for their appointments from the Mosman carpark. A classic win win situation for RA as Castle succeeds RA takes the credit and if she fails they get to go back to their more comfortable choices from the Mosman Carpark and/or Shore Old Boy Reunion dinners

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yes wanted sports administration pedigree but better sports administration pedigree than what Castle offers (CEO of Netball NZ - not blowing me away - and ok Canterbury RL stint better but not sure what achieved there). But yes take your point what can one expect I suppose for basket case than is Australian Rugby. I personally don't think she is the answer but happy for her to prove me wrong and I will support her if appointed and give her a chance to see what she can do but no easy gig.

Surely the only way you're going to get someone with better sports administration pedigree is if you get someone on the way down who has had a fall from grace or you pay way over the odds. Hopefully we've hired someone who is still on the way up as far as her career is concerned.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Surely the only way you're going to get someone with better sports administration pedigree is if you get someone on the way down who has had a fall from grace or you pay way over the odds. Hopefully we've hired someone who is still on the way up as far as her career is concerned.

She is going to need a strong board to protect her from the politics

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

There is no way to get someone "better". As I have said previously, why on earth would somebody on the way up want to take this poisoned chalice on? Anybody with any ability would see that (a) the CEO of the game here has relatively little control over the factors that influence the popularity and thus the profitability of the game and (b) the stakeholders are, by and large, a law unto themselves.

By definition, anybody who takes this role on is not in much position to negotiate better terms. If they were, there are far better options that might pay less in the short term, but which lead to far better career prospects and far greater likelihood of success.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The cynic in me as RA saying ok we will appoint Castle because of her sports administration experience, knowing if she fails they get back less contention for their appointments from the Mosman carpark. A classic win win situation for RA as Castle succeeds RA takes the credit and if she fails they get to go back to their more comfortable choices from the Mosman Carpark and/or Shore Old Boy Reunion dinners

Being a former NZ Sports CEO I wonder what her relationship is with NZRU? It's been one of the reported issues with RA of late - our failing relationship with the NZRU. Perhaps she is a way to help solve that? Not that we have to be best mates with them, but a solid working relationship of mutual respect would be handy.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Would love a NZ perspective of the appointment. What's your opinion?

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Netball isn't my thing but I think most people over here would say she did a good job in terms of setting up a professional, franchise-based comp without decimating the amateur, Club/ Province-based game

Similarly I think she did OK at the 'dogs, the place appears less of a swamp now than when she took over (the Hasler debacle possibly excepted).

Most importantly, though, she's not Phil Kearns :)

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
I hope I am wrong, but seems a very Lightweight appointment.

I am happy for the smashing of the glass ceiling.

But can she possibly have any idea of how this game works, accross all the States & teirs & forms. It is way more complex than 1 X League club.

You really need someone who lives and breaths it, and is so passionate about it. And that can't be someone who is across Netball and League. Has she ever watched a game?

Personally, I would have taken Kearns. He at least knows the game from top to bottom.

Can someone tell me if Brett Papworth was an applicant?

I may be cynical, but an earlier post was close to the mark. They wanted a sports administrator and probably a lady one was an extra bonus. An extra shield of protection against criticism.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
You really need someone who lives and breaths it, and is so passionate about it.

I don't think you do, as other successful sports administrators haven't necessarily had any background in the sports they've governed.......... And I for one am glad we haven't handed the role to another Sydney old mate in the forms of Kearns or, fucking hell...... Papworth.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I think both views are compatible - glad Kearns wasn't appointed, but apprehensive about Castle and her CV.

I wish her all the best, but I'm not punching the air at this appointment. Her record at the Bulldogs was OK, but is that enough to give her the keys to the entire code? Only time will tell.

Agree a board cleanout should be a high priority.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
JNust looking at the budgets of the respective organistations to get a feel for her previous work

NZ netball annual revenue $11m (NZD)
BUlldogs annual revenue $108m (aud) - of which $76m(!) were from poker machines, so $32m from football operations

in comparison,
ARU annual revenue $130m
and one to aim for RFU annual revenue ~$330m AUD

It is a step up in complexity and stakeholders. Only one way to find out if she's up to it. Wish her the very best

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Well just expect a few NRL David Smith type gaffs when you have someone running the show who doesn't have a clue.

Perhaps they can get the big picture to work even if they don't know players names. Time will tell.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
That to me would have been a far more myopic and narrow appointment than Castle (or Kearns). To me the CEO is there to implement the vision, not to come up with it.
The Board undoubtedly approves strategy or vision, but the better CEO's identify opportunities and present these to the board for approval.

There is no perfect candidate, but if I had a say, I would have asked Gallup to apply.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Geez, I wouldn't mind buying Castle at some of the prices you guys are offering and selling her at mine.
NZ has been a successful net balling nation, presumably including under her reign.
I think the Dogs have been riven with factions since old Bullfrog Moore died - and probably before for all I know - so she isn't coming cold into that type of situation.
I hope she represents a permanent break from the Sydney GPS dominated past whether she succeeds or fails and her appointment provides some basis for arguing that a corner has been turned.