• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

rugbyontherange

Frank Nicholson (4)
I find it strange that people are going down the “what the hell is Brad Thorn thinking” path. Why do people think he axed QC (Quade Cooper) as opposed to QC (Quade Cooper) had a dummy spit and walked out.

1. The timing clearly indicates it wasn’t planned.
2. The lack of comment from QC (Quade Cooper)’s Manager/Marketing team, indicates that something is amiss from his end, otherwise they would be shouting from the rooftops – “Poor QC (Quade Cooper)”!
3. The reason the Reds have said no more as professionally, they just don’t.

My theory….. just a theory but …..
Just say QC (Quade Cooper) couldn’t make a training session, because he had to get his hair cut, or didn’t like the color of the new training gear so decided to wear his own hoodie range, (we have all heard the stories)

All the players have been told what the Coach expects, what the standards are and there is no place for dickheads, ego’s or anybody with too many “I’s” in their name.

So BT calls him in and asks him what is going on, where do you see yourself fitting in to this team, the culture we are establishing, the ideals we bringing in to the player group and the standards we are setting as a club.
QC (Quade Cooper) might not have come up with a good answer.
After some discussion, BT might have said well with that attitude, you won’t have a place in the side going forward, that attitude is not going to set the right example and I expect more from a senior player.
QC (Quade Cooper) may have said I don’t agree with your game plan, and I want to do things my way and I don’t train on Saturdays.
BT says that is not going to work or happen.
QC (Quade Cooper) says well you can shove it.

A tight lipped announcement then follows from the Reds that - they had a discussion and QC (Quade Cooper) will be training with his club. Not that he was sacked! To me it reads he has chosen to take the “no other option” to train back in club land as he won’t agree to adhere to the standards, coaching style, game plans, whatever… currently being implemented at the Reds.

Just maybe Quade wasn’t prepared to step up to the demands of excellence that BT is known for ……. And….. the standards us the fans want our team to meet.

BT would have wanted QC (Quade Cooper) to come to the party and show come “Care”, and he would have given him the opportunity to do so.

T

TOCC

Everyone’s entitled to their theories but I’ve heard no qualms about Quades professionalism or training ethic since his return from Europe, certainly early on in his career he was known to cut corners, but i haven’t heard that in recent years, so no I don’t think it was because of a reason like that.

I think Brad saw a player who didn’t fit his mould of what he wants the team to be, I also think that Brad believes he has seen enough of Quade the past 18months whilst coaching the Reds to believe that he can’t change his style and mindset through his own coaching.

Reds new training kits look a little better in 2018, geometric patterns seem to be the fashion trend for 2018. Some new major sponsors on board in 2018 as well by the looks of it. Meriton and Hyundai.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
that's a big theory. now...did we really sign jooste? I feel sorry for the kid getting next to nil out of his time at the brumbies, only to return to a defunct WA, but I can't help think someone like Greene would have been a better option

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
that's a big theory. now.did we really sign jooste? I feel sorry for the kid getting next to nil out of his time at the brumbies, only to return to a defunct WA, but I can't help think someone like Greene would have been a better option
He was injured a lot..

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Yep - big part of why he got next to nil. I wonder if he is a good get for us? Bit of a gamble with not much to look at since mid 2016. But i guess there is noone else around and thorn doesn't want quade. Hopefully isaac Lucas has a good u20 year.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I'd suggest Jooste would be on a pretty minor contract.

I'm not discounting him either. I thought he put a couple of good performances together in the nrc. Looked more a man than the boy I remember him as in previous years.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Is this confirmed? Jooste is at the Reds?
I find it disappointing that Dylan Riley didn’t pick up a contract. Unless they have some magical plan to get Magnay back.
Don’t think Magnay will be back and I heard Riley picked up a contract with Panasonic Wild Knights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sunnyboys

Bob Loudon (25)
Has anyone considered the Cooper thing is ARU driven? National coach has already shown he would select a winger to play 10 ahead of Cooper. The coach went out of his way to make this obvious. He will not be selecting him. So that leaves the ARU paying 2 years of high wage for a guy banished under the current coach. What’s the best way to get out of that arrangement? Have the player ask for a release by demoting him back down to club. Problem solved. QRU and Thorn are doing Chiekas dirty work for him.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Has anyone considered the Cooper thing is ARU driven? National coach has already shown he would select a winger to play 10 ahead of Cooper. The coach went out of his way to make this obvious. He will not be selecting him. So that leaves the ARU paying 2 years of high wage for a guy banished under the current coach. What’s the best way to get out of that arrangement? Have the player ask for a release by demoting him back down to club. Problem solved. QRU and Thorn are doing Chiekas dirty work for him.

Ever heard of Occam's Razor? This lies on a ridiculous bed of assumptions. Usually the simplest answer is the correct answer.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

Apparently you have. I doubt many others would seriously think that.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

IkJJbRY.jpg

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Apparently you have. I doubt many others would seriously think that.

Granted there is fair quotient of 2+2 = 5 in some of the posts here, for me this one is more firmly founded in reality than post #1721 which seems to have avoided the “tin hat” Rubbish.

If Thorn proceeded with his “Quade honesty” chat without having discussed the player with the National HC, I’d add that to the timing matter - on Thorn’s short but impressive list of “stuff ups before you start the job proper”.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Granted there is fair quotient of 2+2 = 5 in some of the posts here, for me this one is more firmly founded in reality than post #1721 which seems to have avoided the “tin hat” Rubbish.

If Thorn proceeded with his “Quade honesty” chat without having discussed the player with the National HC, I’d add that to the timing matter - on Thorn’s short but impressive list of “stuff ups before you start the job proper”.

I'd say they're in the same postcode of likelihood.
I thought Reg's assessment was spot on for that earlier post, so felt no need to add to it.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I received the Reds membership info pack and found it interesting that Quade is no where to be seen. These things take a while to put together and he is one of the most popular players over the last few years. I may be looking to deep into this but I smell something fishy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I received the Reds membership info pack and found it interesting that Quade is no where to be seen. These things take a while to put together and he is one of the most popular players over the last few years. I may be looking to deep into this but I smell something fishy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Has he actually been that popular with Reds fans since he left for Toulon?

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
yep. Fans generally blamed the officials/administrators for his departure, not the man himself. He's hugely popular, particularly with the kids.
I don't think his popularity is disputed... It's the question of why wasn't he front and centre of the marketing if he BTs move wasn't a surprise. No one outside of GAGR knows who perese is.

4 years ago they were giving out ubu (or whatever his brand) gear weren't they??

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I don't think his popularity is disputed. It's the question of why wasn't he front and centre of the marketing if he BTs move wasn't a surprise. No one outside of GAGR knows who perese is.

4 years ago they were giving out ubu (or whatever his brand) gear weren't they??

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

in fact the post immediately prior to mine, the one I was responding to, quite specifically disputed his popularity.

Status
Not open for further replies.