• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Top Ten Hints to get Crowds?

1. Play attractive, constructive, and above all, winning rugby.

2. To 10. See Rule 1.

Sure... no one would disagree with this.... but how does Australian Rugby get to the point of playing attractive, constructive and winning rugby???? that is the real question

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
The new finals rules are interesting - this year the three conference winners plus 5 wildcards from any conference - whereas last year , the wildcards were 1 from Africa 1 or 2 and 3 from aust and nz , with the winners of the four conferences - this meant in 2017 nz could only have four teams in the finals regardless of their positioning whereas in 2018 nz could have all five teams in the finals and one more wildcard place for either aust or SA depending on rankings

T

TOCC

Should just be the top ranked teams anyway... shouldn’t be participation prizes.. Brumbies really shouldn’t have been in the finals in 2018 considering the blues finished with more wins and more points.

New Zealand has the Jaguares in their conference which makes things a little bit harder for them, travel burden will be a bit more and they’re certainly a harder proposition then the Sunwolves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
New Zealand has the Jaguares in their conference which makes things a little bit harder for them, travel burden will be a bit more and they’re certainly a harder proposition then the Sunwolves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I think the Jaguares are in the SA conference with their 4 teams (Bulls,Lions, Sharks & Stormers), we have the Sunwolves with our 4 and the Kiwis have 5 teams of their own.

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
We still have the weakest conference - hopefully that will change with the reduction of one and the Sunwolves also should be stronger... I think we will still struggle to get two teams in the finals :(

half

Alan Cameron (40)

2. To 10. See Rule 1.

Did you read the article, http://fcbusiness.co.uk/news/ten-ways-to-increase-attendances-in-2018/ . The article looks at crowd and fan engagement because you cannot always win and play attractive. The article is IMO very close to where Super Rugby finds itself and again my opinion, me thinks its one of the best sports business articles I have read in a long time.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Jeez I read it twice and nowhere can I see 'Shrink to greatness ' by cutting one fifth of your professional teams

So true, what I liked about it was the methods discussed when the winning and the playing style is on the nose how do you keep fans and interest in your team, I guess thats where I am coming from.

Clarence

Stan Wickham (3)

2. To 10. See Rule 1.

NO! God damn!

Obviously winning is a good thing, but it's a single piece of a very large puzzle. Otherwise explain why NFL, EPL, AFL and various other world class sport leagues get zillions into the stadiums regardless of whether the team is first or last. Any beginner level business course will tell you that for an enterprise to be successful it must match consumer demand in each of the four P's:

Product: As a whole, this is the game day experience. Quality of match, quality of the facilities, entertainment factor and of course, your team winning helps.

Place: The game needs to be played somewhere easily accessible by your target market. Further more you want to make sure your product can be consumed by as many avenues as possible (e.g. internet streaming, twitter etc). This is where pay TV is marked as a disadvantage to super rugby, but considering we are talking about crowds I will stay on topic.

Promotion: No one is turning up to your game if no one knows about it. Get on TV, radio and whatever else (anyone else getting thousands of Sydney 7s ads on facebook?) so that people know where to go and what time to be there.

Price: People aren't going to come if they don't believe the game day experience is worth the cost of the ticket. An uncle of mine went to a NY Yankees baseball game last year for $200. He said baseball is the most boring sport, but it's the most entertaining events he's ever been to.

Now these four points can be further broken down into hundreds of sub categories with different levels of applicability depending on what your selling, but ultimately it always comes down to these four. If the business is failing, it's because one or more of these factors is out of place. It's a simple formula that takes a long time to master.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Dear oh dear. A simple formula. Maybe. One thing I would agree with, success in professional sporting competitions does take a long time - not "to master", but "to evolve".

There are no overnight sensations when it comes to the world's successful sporting competitions, they have all taken years, decades, in one or two cases, a century, to get to where they are now.

Come to think of it, none of it matters unless people actually like the sport?

Where does actually liking the sport fit into your four simple categories, and (gasp) hundreds of sub-categories.

I like my simple suggestion a lot better. Attractive, constructive and winning rugby is the only chance to make a newish franchise in a very new competition bring in the crowds.

If our teams could win games, do you dispute that that alone would bring in better crowds? And if they won playing attractive, open rugby, would that alone not bring in even more crowds. Here's a little case study for you. Northern Suburbs now draws pretty good crowds, at a dreadful venue. Why?

T

TOCC

I like my simple suggestion a lot better. Attractive, constructive and winning rugby is the only chance to make a newish franchise in a very new competition bring in the crowds.

If our teams could win games, do you dispute that that alone would bring in better crowds? And if they won playing attractive, open rugby, would that alone not bring in even more crowds.

You're like that person who continually says we should just find more jobs for the unemployed but wont offer a solution as to how, or where these jobs will come from.

Everyone on this site would agree that attractive, constructive and winning rugby would bring in the crowds, but whats your solution to achieve this?

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
Coaching staff that have strategies and understand how the game is played and can connect with , motivate and enthuse young men to join together to achieve goals - instead of short fat men with chips on their shoulders who have axes to grind and punish players for slighting them and promote lacklustre talent who praise thdm

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Everyone on this site would agree that attractive, constructive and winning rugby would bring in the crowds, but whats your solution to achieve this?

Need more agglomeration of talent to bump up that win percentage.

So, all test players move to Sydney and the Wallabies start competing in Soup, Argentina-style. That ought to be good for a 70% win ratio.

The rest stick to Prems/NRC and – by ditching Fiji – an Aussie team also wins 100% of these games.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
You're like that person who continually says we should just find more jobs for the unemployed but wont offer a solution as to how, or where these jobs will come from.

Did you read Clarence's post? He did not agree, and that is what I was commenting on.

There is no simple solution.

Blame me for not having one, if you like. Or just ignore my posts, that would be even better.

T

TOCC

Did you read Clarence's post? He did not agree, and that is what I was commenting on.

There is no simple solution.

Blame me for not having one, if you like..

but it’s not the first time you suggested this solution, and Its not the first time I’ve asked you how they should achieve this solution, you just chose to ignore the last time I asked.

You can’t suggest there is a solution, and then not offer a means of achieving that solution. That’s what this whole thread is about, how the pathways at all levels can by improved or aligned to achieve a desired outcome. You can’t get frustrated because people pushed forward ideas which impact on a level of rugby which you hold dear, there is no level of rugby in Australia which is above being questioned or critiqued, all levels need to be aligned for the greater good of the code.

Right now everyone is stepping on each others dicks

Status
Not open for further replies.