• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The only hope I have of him coming back is that Carmichael has left the Reds and Pulver has left the ARU.

Reactions: dru

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I didn't realise that Link had bad blood with the QRU as well, just the ARU. I had always assumed that working at the Reds would mean indirectly working under the ARU and that was what would likely preclude it happening. That, and the tiny matter of having to get over a generally foul taste in his mouth from Rugby in general.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I do wonder how the 2015 team would have gone with Link's 2011 staff. That team had far more talent (personally) than the 2011 side but fell apart due to various other factors.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
I do wonder how the 2015 team would have gone with Link's 2011 staff. That team had far more talent (personally) than the 2011 side but fell apart due to various other factors.
Agreed. Good cattle makes a good coach. Think Robbie Deans, SuperCoach with Crusaders...Wobs not so much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
I know better than to continue arguing with people who believe they are right. Let's just say I'm falling on Brad Thorn's side of the trial match thing. I just can't see the point of letting everyone know what you've got and risking players to injury unnecessarily.
I'm with you on this. I'll add the Tens is an unnecasary risk as well. Mid Feb in Brisbane is a shitty climate for rugby, I can give you the forecast right now; fuckin hot and humid. Bugger all people will go watch it (unlike Sydney this weekend), I think it is a competition without any reason for being. I wonder what the global television licensing is worth...does it financially stack up?

I hope we leave most of our top 30 players in the shed.

Sent from my SM-J710GN using Tapatalk

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
^^^^^^
Agree 100%

We should be fielding a development side but I suppose because it is the Brisbane 10's we will field our best side.

Having said that I think the big players like Higgers Slipper Douglas, Thor, Kerevi, Lance (if fit) won't get too much game time. Plenty of other blokes to chuck into the heat

T

TOCC

No doubt there will also be contractural obligations to have a certain number of the top players in the Brisbane 10s. I think there’s enough fringe talent in the squad to put a decent squad. Focus on the younger brigade like ASY (Angus Scott-Young), Wright, Daugunu, Mafi, Hewat, Korczyk, Sorovi.

Jim Tucker also suggesting that Higgibotham will be the captain in 2018

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Higgers captain in 2018?

That staggers me.

sorry, I completely overlooked his time leading the Rebels, which was probably the best rugby he's played in Australia. So I overreacted. I'm still surprised by the decision. He wouldn't have been in my top 5 options.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I’m not so shocked. It really had to come down to him, Slipper or Kerevi with Paia’aua maybe the only other likely option. Out of those, I think Higgers is a reasonable choice.

The thing that is interesting to me is that, if true, it must be a sign Higgers has really knuckled down. I was concerned from some of the stories I’d heard last year that Higgers was disgruntled at his treatment by Cheika and had basically decided there was no point sticking around.

I am quite far removed though and I have no real idea how good my sources were/are. I can only see Thorn appointing a captain who he believes is setting the benchmark, so either my sources are ordinary or he’s had a change of heart.

T

TOCC

Yes, Toua back with the Reds. Wayne Smith has confirmed it in The Australian. They’re still waiting for clearance from the ARU over the issue which prevented the Brumbies from initially signing him, that is the whole Japanese flexi-contract

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I’m not so shocked. It really had to come down to him, Slipper or Kerevi with Paia’aua maybe the only other likely option. Out of those, I think Higgers is a reasonable choice.

The thing that is interesting to me is that, if true, it must be a sign Higgers has really knuckled down. I was concerned from some of the stories I’d heard last year that Higgers was disgruntled at his treatment by Cheika and had basically decided there was no point sticking around.

I am quite far removed though and I have no real idea how good my sources were/are. I can only see Thorn appointing a captain who he believes is setting the benchmark, so either my sources are ordinary or he’s had a change of heart.

How many years has Higgers got left? I dont think many would think we are a contender this season and I wonder if we should look at a young captain to take us forward, kind of like Horwill did from a young age. I would prefer to have Paia'aua as captain for our lead up to victory in 2020

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Higgers was a brilliant captain at the Rebels. Played his best footy and lead from the front. Excellent choice in my opinion

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Yes, Toua back with the Reds. Wayne Smith has confirmed it in The Australian. They’re still waiting for clearance from the ARU over the issue which prevented the Brumbies from initially signing him, that is the whole Japanese flexi-contract

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Its a solid buy but nothing more. Think you could of got more value looking abroad to fill a gap for a season if needed. Cordero from the Puma's is looking for a club. Could of got him for a year waiting for a youngster to come through and also a better player than Toua

Status
Not open for further replies.