• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

new recruit_ brisbane

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Back on trial Matches, sounds like the Reds couldn’t secure an opposition team to play against:

"Ideally, you'd play Super Rugby teams," Thorn said.

"I'm not going to hide that, that's what I'd prefer, but that's what we have and that's what it is.

"Full respect to the Fijian guys . that will be a good hit-out for us."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

From what I am told it was a genuine case of they forget to organise trial games until it was too late and teams were booked. In my opinion it is just another case of incompetence

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
From what I am told it was a genuine case of they forget to organise trial games until it was too late and teams were booked. In my opinion it is just another case of incompetence
More the case of not having a Bus Driver for the half empty bus, which has picked up a few more passengers (for the want of a better word) and dropped of a few along the way, on the road to who knows where?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
To be fair there have been a lot of changes and organising trial matches isn't the easiest thing to do when you have a new Head Coach, nor would it be the top priority.

It's pretty obvious they are building for next season, the season after that, or even the season after that.
A trial match now isn't going to really make too much of a difference on those scales.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
To be fair there have been a lot of changes and organising trial matches isn't the easiest thing to do when you have a new Head Coach, nor would it be the top priority.

It's pretty obvious they are building for next season, the season after that, or even the season after that.
A trial match now isn't going to really make too much of a difference on those scales.

they literally have every single NZ team, every Australian team and a few other randoms in town this weekend. And they couldn't get a game out of one of them?

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
they literally have every single NZ team, every Australian team and a few other randoms in town this weekend. And they couldn't get a game out of one of them?
That's probably why they couldn't get a game. You want your 10's team playing a trial just before your tournament.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
That's probably why they couldn't get a game. You want your 10's team playing a trial just before your tournament.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

no one cares about their tens team. This is all just prep for Super Rugby with cash on the side. Last year there were Super Rugby trials all around the 10s. It couldn't have been easier for the Reds to get a trial match v a Super Rugby team. The Chiefs are playing the Brumbies on the Sunshine Coast Wednesday week.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
So, is this primarily an HC issue, or someone at HQ? In fact, I thought that the concept of having Totality there was meant to help ease through these issues?

It was being put around that the internal trial was a preference, which now seems incorrect. If we can't manage this, how will things go with the heavy away game management in the first two months?

Not sounding good!

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So, is this primarily an HC issue, or someone at HQ? In fact, I thought that the concept of having Totality there was meant to help ease through these issues?

It was being put around that the internal trial was a preference, which now seems incorrect. If we can't manage this, how will things go with the heavy away game management in the first two months?

Not sounding good!

yeah, it's driven by the HC. McGahan should have been across it as a former HC. As GM of Professional Rugby then Cordingly has some accountability here as well

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
So we get McGahan and they get Stiles. Typical. I wish him well - as long it takes til round 2 to hit his stride. ;)

I think he will do well - whatever shortcomings were exposed in the whole HC (and CIHC) debacle, he seems to be an excellent set piece coach. Under his guidance the Reds had pretty much the best set piece in the competition, both scrum and lineout.

Not having to deal with the QRU management will also probably come as a weight off his shoulders.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
yeah, it's driven by the HC. McGahan should have been across it as a former HC. As GM of Professional Rugby then Cordingly has some accountability here as well

I'd forgotten about Cordingly. The way I'm reading it then - Brad missed stuff due to inexperience. Not unexpected, but we need to calm down about him being the messiah. He has a trade to learn at the same time as coaching. Totaliser should really have picked it up, but it's a missed opportunity rather than a fault. Cordingly probably needs to take a kick. Let's hope they have used the experience to be better organised going forward. Imagine handling an SA tour with these sort of issues.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)

my recollection of the concept for the 10's, and the reason I supported it was that there was going to be 15's games in the lead up to it and the week of the tournament. I am sure we were informed that there would be various games throughout SEQ that would have great international rugby. I am sure we were promised games like Toulon v Crusaders etc. I was really pumped to see the concept work as it was going to be a great thing for supporters of 15's as well.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
found it in another thread
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...s/news-story/eded3d61c27d31ede4f5bcd865420ffd
With the exception of Toulon, all squads have also committed to bringing 32-man squads to Brisbane for a full week of pre-season training at iconic Ballymore, with the event to act as the launching pad for the new Super Rugby season. This will in turn drive the week along as a rugby festival for the city, with teams to make the most of the opportunity by scheduling 15-a-side mid-week trial matches leading up to the 10s.

T

TOCC

found it in another thread
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...s/news-story/eded3d61c27d31ede4f5bcd865420ffd
With the exception of Toulon, all squads have also committed to bringing 32-man squads to Brisbane for a full week of pre-season training at iconic Ballymore, with the event to act as the launching pad for the new Super Rugby season. This will in turn drive the week along as a rugby festival for the city, with teams to make the most of the opportunity by scheduling 15-a-side mid-week trial matches leading up to the 10s.

Rebels played the Force at Bond Uni, Chiefs played the Bulls at Ballymore and the Reds played the Rebels the week after at Ballymore. The trial match thing never really captured the imagination of many, I remember there was next to none in the crowd for the Chiefs or Force trial matches.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
rugby.com.au said:
Queensland Reds squad for the Brisbane Tens

FORWARDS

James Slipper

Taniela Tupou

Sef Fa’agase

JP Smith

Brandon Paenga-Amosa

Andrew Ready

Angus Blyth

Harry Hockings

Kane Douglas

Angus Scott-Young

Michael Gunn

Liam Wright

Tai Ford

Reece Hewat

BACKS

James Tuttle

Moses Sorovi

Tate McDermott

Hamish Stewart

Nick Jooste

Teti Tela

Tony Hunt

Samu Kerevi (C)

Filipo Daugunu

Jayden Ngamanu

Izaia Perese

Lachlan Maranta
I'm sure we've all seen the squad elsewhere, but what do people think we can take from this squad for the Reds Super Rugby XV and 23?
A few interesting inclusions and omissions.
For the backs no Duncan Paia'aua, only Daugunu and Perese for the wings, Maranta is a little surprising, and interesting to see Jooste appearing to be an option at fullback, all three main halfbacks, no CFS.
For the Forwards no Tui nor Timu, pretty much all the question mark back row options (Scott-Young, Gunn, Wright, Hewat).
So with those all noted what can we infer from this squad about the direction of the Super Rugby squad? Do you think Thorn is selecting his 10's side to get a look at the players he is still unsure about? or is he selecting his 'best side' (perhaps backline) to get them some time together? Or something completely different?

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
So with those all noted what can we infer from this squad about the direction of the Super Rugby squad? Do you think Thorn is selecting his 10's side to get a look at the players he is still unsure about? or is he selecting his 'best side' (perhaps backline) to get them some time together? Or something completely different?

I don't think he's selecting his Super Rugby backline unless he has a very left field choice at 13 and intends to play Kerevi at 12 given he has left out DP and CFS. I expect the Super Rugby season to start with Stewart at 10, DP at 12 and Kerevi at 13. All 3 halfbacks in the 10s squad is interesting but I guess that allows the likes of McDermott to get plenty of game time and not use Tuttle too much. It will be hot at the 10s and some of the other squads are very light on Super Rugby experienced players, obviously avoiding injury. There is definitely competition in the squad for positions, which is good and maybe Thorn feels that this has been lacking in the past - hence the Cooper shakeup - no-one is guaranteed a spot.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
10s is more a chance for individuals to press their claims - particularly in trying to impress Thorn through workrate, vision, communication, dominance in contact, footwork etc. The greater space means more chance to showcase individual skills. I wouldn't look to much into positions and combinations, but moreso fringe players using it as a stage to say "i work hard and I can be a standout, pick me!"

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Jake Straugn?(spelling)(Sbank 10) has been added to 10's squad to cover Tony Hunt(out with ankle injury). Jake is a vgood footballer and could be a significant add to cover 10 and fullback. Has a very good kicking game.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Brad Thorn Unveils Revolutionary New Rugby Formation
--SMH--

New Reds coach Brad Thorn has doubled down on his 'No Dickheads' policy in regards to Quade Cooper and Karmichael Hunt and gone a step further by unveiling a revolutionary new game plan. "No druggies. No show ponies" reiterated Thorn. "In fact, no backs at all. Yeah, you heard me. No backs. All backs are now to be reclassified as 'loose forwards'. Get in there and win the f**ken ball for the backs except hello, there are no backs so we just keep it in the forwards. There are no show ponies in a forward pack, hence no Quade, hence no backs. That's Brad Thorn Rugby 101. That's winning rugby. No further comment. Quade, do you want to play in the f**ken forwards or not?"

"
tarquin_zpsi8cqmiwe.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.