• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Z-C I'm not seeing it. Lance is defending well, first up hit so little organisation. DP an on the field leader, but needs to do better. 15 looked poor under high ball to me. Is it Mafi at 2? Looking good, ditto Topou. Slipper has mass but form needs to kick up a notch. Korzcyk looks to me like a blind side trying to ape LFG - lots needed to make that work. Not sure on the locks. Kerevi looks good - for crash ball. Not a bad hit out in a trial - but little to be excited about.

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
A lot of gassed Reds out there. I don't blame them, the conditions are horrendous. It will be good conditioning.

And I will forgive any and all handling errors tonight. I'm a ball of sweat just sitting at home on the couch watching.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Perese hobbling after his big shot. He screamed like a season ending injury ,
Didn’t look good....

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Z-C I'm not seeing it. Lance is defending well, first up hit so little organisation. DP an on the field leader, but needs to do better. 15 looked poor under high ball to me.
Yeah, his first few plays were very very good. He fell away after that. But having seen Stewart in this second half maybe he'll be starting at 10. Either way I don't think Aiden will be in the 15.
Is it Mafi at 2? Looking good, ditto Topou. Slipper has mass but form needs to kick up a notch. Korzcyk looks to me like a blind side trying to ape LFG - lots needed to make that work. Not sure on the locks. Kerevi looks good - for crash ball. Not a bad hit out in a trial - but little to be excited about.
Yeah, I think it was BPA at 2 Mifi is playing the second half. I actually think Tupou and Slipper have been average around the park (probably because they have been putting in WORK for their scrum. Korczyk IMO has been very good, but I'm not sure they quite know where the back row is going to be best at yet. Timu was good but I'd like to see more from him, he can be completely dominant. I think the overall fitness was very apparent, towards the end of the game with Fiji just being exhausted while the Reds were powering away.

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
Did anyone see Perese back on his feet? That looked nasty and there was a lot of screaming, but the game didn't stop long enough for him to be carried off the field?!
Edit: just read above that he was apparently hobbling. At least it's not a torn ACL - seen way too many of those go in trial games!

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Yeah, his first few plays were very very good. He fell away after that. But having seen Stewart in this second half maybe he'll be starting at 10. Either way I don't think Aiden will be in the 15.

Yeah, I think it was BPA at 2 Mifi is playing the second half. I actually think Tupou and Slipper have been average around the park (probably because they have been putting in WORK for their scrum. Korczyk IMO has been very good, but I'm not sure they quite know where the back row is going to be best at yet. Timu was good but I'd like to see more from him, he can be completely dominant. I think the overall fitness was very apparent, towards the end of the game with Fiji just being exhausted while the Reds were powering away.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Topou was playing tight head? AND still had a reasonable wide game? If so chalk that up as a keeper where every rugby club in the world will be chasing. BPA was the 2 in first half? I'm liking him. A lot. Korczyk is a fantastic, possibly undersized at 6, and probably needs to learn how to be MUCH more mobile at 7. He's had a few years now. Previously I've thought of him as an up'n'comer. Not in 2018. This year is his! [If he wants it.]

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Did anyone see Perese back on his feet? That looked nasty and there was a lot of screaming, but the game didn't stop long enough for him to be carried off the field?!
Edit: just read above that he was apparently hobbling. At least it's not a torn ACL - seen way too many of those go in trial games!

He walked/hobbled off. Looked in discomfort but certainly not in a torn acl way

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
So guys incase you didn't yet hear, the Waratahs beat the Rebels 47-05, after being locked up at 5-all at half time. What does this tell us about the Rebels - Reds game next week?

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Perese after making a strong tackle, got pushed back with his leg trapped underneath him. Ankle looked to be in an awkward position also but almost immediately after the clean out his leg popped out from underneath him so hopefully the scream was more panic rather than pain. He was walking straight after, albeit with a slight limp. Finished the game.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Scrappy game but Reds defended pretty well.

Scrum was dominant and we were unlucky to not get another couple of penalties.

Slipper was huge in defence. Thor's scrummaging seems to have really improved but still reckon he needs to do a bit more work in the tight. Jonno was OK but the incessant kicking was mind blowing. Ready needs to start at 2. Kerevi was well contained. Overall I thought the forwards did not dominate (as I thought they would)

It was noticeable to me that when we were attacking the line in the second half (for quite a while) and Higgers and Slipper were off the field we just seemed to lose some direction.

I did agree with the penalty kick. It was a rugby match and important to get a win on the boards.

We seemed to be defending all the time and Fiji were attacking in our half for most of the match. When we got it we kicked or dropped it.

Well it was worth the trip anyway but the Reds have a fair bit of work to do to be competitive in this competition.

Reactions: dru

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I thought Kane had a shocker. That poses the biggest question for us with Rodda out. Do we stick with Douglas and help he rediscovers the form of 3 years ago (again) or do we go with one of the youngsters?

I thought CFS defensive work was average as well and in fact the 12, 13, 14 combo does worry me, although Duncan and Samu are my first choices.

I'm also guessing Adam K keeps the 7 jersey?

So I'm guessing

1 Slipper
2 BPA
3 Tupou
4 Tui
5 Douglas
6 Timu
7 Adam K
8 Higgers

9 Tuttle
10 Lance
11 Perese (injury permitting)
12 Duncan P
13 Kerevi
14 Daugunu (he just looks too good for mine)
15 Toua

16 Mafi
17 Smith
18 Fa'agase
19 Hocking (assume Blythe is injured?)
20 Gunn
21 Sorovi
22 Stewart
23 CFS

Reactions: dru

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Perese after making a strong tackle, got pushed back with his leg trapped underneath him. Ankle looked to be in an awkward position also but almost immediately after the clean out his leg popped out from underneath him so hopefully the scream was more panic rather than pain. He was walking straight after, albeit with a slight limp. Finished the game.

No he didn't. Tate McDermott (sans head tape) came onto the wing for the last minute.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
You'd think that there would be no super rugby team better trained in how to deal with a slippery ball than the reds, given their entire pre-season is in some of the most humid conditions outside of the equatorial regions.

But I am constantly left with the suspicion that the reds don't actually spend much time doing ball work, if their handling is any indicator.

Status
Not open for further replies.