• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Have emailed around the 5th and 6th Div clubs to gauge interest in running two grades. Response so far indicates everyone is still on holidays, or the bastards don't want to speak to me ;)

At least Laura got back to me as well as the guys from Maccabi.

What is shitting me at this point? Well, let me see- oh yes: Hills Council decided to oversow our field (along with about 30 others) during March,which basically fucks our last month leading into preseason, and ensures we'll host no trials.
Anyway, we got a dozen to first Preseason training, with about a dozen giving their apologies. So that's a good start
REGO IS $150 (shorts and socks). Beat that
Tho its funny: guys are still asking about payment plans. Insert facepalm here.

Nath

Bill Watson (15)
Should get down to Camden for a trial.

Always a good day out in the sunshine there.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Already sorted - trials are 10th March @ Blacktown (their 40th Anniversary Gala Day) and 24th March up at HAC. Hopefully someone else comes along to the second one, because I'm not sure precisely what we've got in terms of numbers, yet.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
Saints have lost there 1st grade coach the week pre season kicks off!! Lets hope they get that sorted as they are sorely needed in DIV 3

meatpie

Herbert Moran (7)
Saints have lost there 1st grade coach the week pre season kicks off!! Lets hope they get that sorted as they are sorely needed in DIV 3

Agreed. They put on one of the best post match functions too! On that note, with preseason underway or close too, how are numbers looking across Div1-Div3 teams? Any player movements or stories of good retention? Looking forward to seeing how Epping go in Div 2, if they keep the core group together, should give it a good shake.

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)

HeavyD very interesting, i hope they manage to get something sorted before the season kicks off. Any other goss on Div 3, I know clubs are just starting to blow off the cobwebs. Bobs have started beach runs but I have nothing else!

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
HeavyD very interesting, i hope they manage to get something sorted before the season kicks off. Any other goss on Div 3, I know clubs are just starting to blow off the cobwebs. Bobs have started beach runs but I have nothing else!

I see the Breakers are playing host to a Warringah vs Easts trial which looks like an interesting initiative. Depending on the crowd the club should make some $$ on beer and food sales.. At the very least It will give the Shute shield boys a feel for grassroots facilities.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Well, my main Juniors coach had to quit this week. He was already under pressure from work for Saturdays, so that is some hard core decimation of our Juniors. Not even sure if we'll get enough interest to bother running it - had to get an U8 team to go with U6 and U7. I just don't have the people to run it, due to work pressures.

Seniors are going OK with about 20 at preseason last week.

Still looking for a ground to train on for March. I emailed Blacktown Friday after 4PM to inquire about availability. At 0854 hours today they replied "nup. Go back and talk to Hills"

That is some kind of record for Council responsiveness - less than 1 business hour!

So now I need to turn to beer economy to ensure we get at least something. Or basically kiss the club goodbye because March rain shat all over us last year, while 2018 shapes up to be The Year That Council Fucked Us.

Mangoman

Allen Oxlade (6)
Have emailed around the 5th and 6th Div clubs to gauge interest in running two grades. Response so far indicates everyone is still on holidays, or the bastards don't want to speak to me ;)

At least Laura got back to me as well as the guys from Maccabi.

What is shitting me at this point? Well, let me see- oh yes: Hills Council decided to oversow our field (along with about 30 others) during March,which basically fucks our last month leading into preseason, and ensures we'll host no trials.
Anyway, we got a dozen to first Preseason training, with about a dozen giving their apologies. So that's a good start
REGO IS $150 (shorts and socks). Beat that
Tho its funny: guys are still asking about payment plans. Insert facepalm here.

RE: Running two grades - Dukes are looking like we'll be thereabouts (approx same numbers as last season).

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
So how does it work with the lower divisions in terms of finding out what clubs are in what division? I know first 3 have been sorted when does the rest get released?

laura.ainslie

Peter Burge (5)
So how does it work with the lower divisions in terms of finding out what clubs are in what division? I know first 3 have been sorted when does the rest get released?

It gets based off previous years and the division clubs nominate for themselves. Some of the lower div clubs don’t get their players to any preseason until much closer to the season, so it’s hard to gauge numbers for some of them, and the draws wait until that. The divisional meetings will give a better idea as to where everyone is sitting so draws can be confirmed.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
With the top three divisions likely decided, I'm going to draw a very short bow and suggest Division Four looks much like it did last year, with the exception of Rouse Hill, because I definitely know what we're targeting.

I'd suggest the changes are pretty small between Divs 4, 5, and 6.

The main issue is going to be finding a club to replace us in Div 4, because I doubt whether we'll ever get back there.

I know Roseville aren't going anywhere (Div 6) and clubs like Manly Savers and Terrey Hills are unlikely to move either.

Chatswood might prefer Div 6 but then who comes up?

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
With the top three divisions likely decided, I'm going to draw a very short bow and suggest Division Four looks much like it did last year, with the exception of Rouse Hill, because I definitely know what we're targeting.

I'd suggest the changes are pretty small between Divs 4, 5, and 6.

The main issue is going to be finding a club to replace us in Div 4, because I doubt whether we'll ever get back there.

I know Roseville aren't going anywhere (Div 6) and clubs like Manly Savers and Terrey Hills are unlikely to move either.

Chatswood might prefer Div 6 but then who comes up?

What about Lane Cove? I thought they were on the climb?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
What about Lane Cove? I thought they were on the climb?

I consider them possibilities, BUT they'd be relying on their U21 Colts to step up to the plate in terms of Second Grade.

Given they had a forfeit of 1st Grade for a home game against Menai (who only played 1st Grade) last year, I'm not sure they're going to be able to tangle with the big boys in that division.

Last year when we were talking about going down to 5th Division late, they were an option too come up and replace us. But it is a tough division and I think the results bear that out: the First Grade teams are huge on skill and/or size and Covies would have been happy to win 2nd grade and then try to keep the momentum going into this year.

Bernie

Allen Oxlade (6)
I consider them possibilities, BUT they'd be relying on their U21 Colts to step up to the plate in terms of Second Grade.

Given they had a forfeit of 1st Grade for a home game against Menai (who only played 1st Grade) last year, I'm not sure they're going to be able to tangle with the big boys in that division.

Last year when we were talking about going down to 5th Division late, they were an option too come up and replace us. But it is a tough division and I think the results bear that out: the First Grade teams are huge on skill and/or size and Covies would have been happy to win 2nd grade and then try to keep the momentum going into this year.

Speaking as a player at Lane Cove pre-season numbers have been solid. I would suggest at this stage we have the numbers to field two Grade sides and continue in Division 5 without the use of Colts. Although not being within the inner sanctum of the club I believe one of the goals the club has set is to move up to Division 4. This is totally dependent on having sufficient players to make that move. Whether this could be done with the use of Colts I can't say, but to make a Third Grade side (with Colts) would depend on what sort of Colts competition is available this year.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
My opinion - having been part of a club that attempted it a couple of times - is you need at least 60 committed blokes on the books to successfully deal with 4th Division. Better if you've got 70.

Getting 45 of those to a ground each week for us has been tough, with Saturday work and then people organising ski trips and other activities outside the club.

Seagull Butler

Chris McKivat (8)
Subbies Sevens on this weekend again y'all.
Good to see teams from across the divisions attending.
Grantham Reserve, Blacktown, First games KO 10.00am.

Pools are:
Blacktown, Merrylands, Lindfield, Hunters Hill
Mac Uni, Manly Savers, Petersham, Brothers
Briars, Burraneer, HAC, Forest
UNSW, Oatley, Balmain, Beecroft

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Might pop down for a look, given my Saturday is already half-shagged with family commitments.

Had to drop Juniors this year. That's a bugger, but don't have the resources.

The Real Big Bopper

Allen Oxlade (6)
What trials have teams booked in?

Epping are hosting Petersham and travelling to Gosford for a 3 way trial with Gosford and Avoca

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
March 10 - Blacktown are holding the Pacific Unity Cup at Grantham Reserve. Clubs involved are Blacktown (duh), HAC, Renegades, and Dundas.

March 24 - HAC are hosting us and hopefully someone else.

Also on that date looks like Convicts are heading over to Wills Ground to play Canterbury.

Status
Not open for further replies.