• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Is Matt Sandell fit?
He got a contract again this year, despite spending all of last season injured, however with all the prop woes we've had he hasn't entered calculations at all. I'm assuming someone at the Tahs rates him, hard to see why his contract would have been renewed otherwise.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Is Matt Sandell fit?
He got a contract again this year, despite spending all of last season injured, however with all the prop woes we've had he hasn't entered calculations at all. I'm assuming someone at the Tahs rates him, hard to see why his contract would have been renewed otherwise.
Or he signed a longer term contract a couple of years ago, not a new one this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
Here's my take on a Tahs squad refresh..... the current squad is not up to scratch!

Starting with Coach Gibson, time is up!

Ryan (May already be gone!)
Fitzpatrick
Sandell
Tawake
Simmons
McAuley
Staniforth
Meafua
Palmer
Fekitau
Kellaway
Simone
Clark

Recruitment targets IMO should be

M Alalaatoa
Tui
Philip
Luke Jones
Hugh Pyle
Pete Samu
Magnay
JOC (James O'Connor) Left field!

plus a few up and comers from NSW

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I'd keep Simone, Staniforth and Simmons.

The team can afford to have one of either Staniforth and Simmons. They just can't afford a light weight back-row and both at the same time. I certanly wouldn't ditch them entirely.

Acquisitions look good but unrealistic. Pete Samu and M Alalaatoa to leave the title winning Crusaders? Doubt it. Philip is looking a key part of the best Australian team at the moment. Woulnd't want Huge Pile.

Might be able to convince Luke Jones to come home and have a tilt at the Wallabies.

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
But Paddy Ryan has been one of your best players one of the few players in the forward pack with any starch to him.

I think he's a benchwarmer at best.... the fact that he's our starting TH is a reflection of the poor depth in the NSW squad.

When he takes the ball into contact he gets turned over regularly, cannot move laterally and gets picked off regularly in defence, also has poor hands and spills a lot of ball. He's basically a squad filler that you keep on the roster and start if your main props are out.

Don't get me wrong, he's got a big heart and gives 100% every time. But after looking closely at the other Australian squads, I could not find a spot where you would pick him in front of the top 4 choices anywhere, and that pretty much sums it up.

He should be ranked No.3 at best and probably NRC is his real level. In fact I wrote the following on one of the other forums recently.

"Today we have a starting pack of forwards (with exception of Hooper) who are barely Super rugby bench warming quality basically an NRC pack. – Ryan, Fitzpatrick, Robertson, Hanigan, Staniforth, Wells, Holloway.
Possibly only Hanigan out of that lot would make any other Aust team best 23 let alone a NZ or SA team!! Simmons is done as a rugby player. Unwanted by any other team and clear why. Staniforth/Wells both unwanted by Brumbies, Holloway, big fast, lazy. Robertson being rag dolled by every pack this year. Fitzpatrick an honest toiler but not up to Super Rugby.
You can carry two or 3 of those blokes if the rest of the squad are very high quality. Really shows the lack of depth in the tahs squad."

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)

The team can afford to have one of either Staniforth and Simmons. They just can't afford a light weight back-row and both at the same time. I certanly wouldn't ditch them entirely.

Acquisitions look good but unrealistic. Pete Samu and M Alalaatoa to leave the title winning Crusaders? Doubt it. Philip is looking a key part of the best Australian team at the moment. Woulnd't want Huge Pile.

Might be able to convince Luke Jones to come home and have a tilt at the Wallabies.

It was really a wish list... Though I'd think a real possibility of a shot at Wallaby Gold would make MA consider a switch!

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)

I had high hopes for Simone, but just hasn't produced and is well into his second season. Staniforth is not up to the job, basically NRC quality. Simmons you could keep but you would need a lot of bulk around him, I agree.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
The backrow can be a real strength if given the right people in front of them.

Tahs desperately need a LHP and a lock, particularly one that is decent in contact.

I've been bleating about it for a few days on different posts but Michael Alaatoa should be made a priority for Aus rugby. Him and Kepu would make a very nice front row. It would also push Robertson back to the bench where he is capable of doing a job.

Even tho he has clearly stated he's gone back to NZ to be near his children, Toby Smith would also be a good pick up. Can offer something around the park.

Jones would be a good pick up as would Mitch Lees.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Campbell Magnay?
Reece Hodge?
Billy Meakes?

I'm not sure Magnay is better. Simone is more of a 12, Magnay more of a 13.

Hodge and Meakes are clearly better than Simone but they're not really like for like comparisons. Hodge would demand top dollar and Meakes a fair chunk more than Simone.

Of course we could list the bottom half of the squad and suggest we sign current Wallabies instead but that isn't really a potential reality.

Reactions: dru

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
I'm not sure Magnay is better. Simone is more of a 12, Magnay more of a 13.

Hodge and Meakes are clearly better than Simone but they're not really like for like comparisons. Hodge would demand top dollar and Meakes a fair chunk more than Simone.

Of course we could list the bottom half of the squad and suggest we sign current Wallabies instead but that isn't really a potential reality.

I'd be happy with any one of them, but really was more looking at Super Rugby and LH where we need the quality, those guys were just a wish list to replace that particular player in answer to your question.

Status
Not open for further replies.