• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Round 5, Waratahs vs Rebels - Sunday 18 March @ 4pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Nice work by the tahs once they started to catch the ball, their work in the first half kept being hamstrung by dropped balls

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The Tahs finally showed some patience in the second half. They made plenty of breaks in the first half and created lots of red zone opportunities but kept pushing the miracle pass or just flinging it back off the ground rather than getting quick ball from the breakdown.

Certainly the most satisfying home game for the Tahs in 2 or 3 years.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Nice work by the tahs once they started to catch the ball, their work in the first half kept being hamstrung by dropped balls

Yes. However, as I said on twitter: on another day, maybe those offloads don't go to hand. Maybe DHP doesn't go down early (tho Meakes was PFG as Shiggins said). Maybe the Rebels turn up on defence on the wings - see Hegarty's try where he's in untouched.

The Tahs' game plan is still shit.

We still don't have any decent line busters. Simmons is still a massive fucking liability but we weren't smart enough to sign Coleman or the other Arnold or Douglas or someone good.

Staniforth, Miller and Roach gave the team real value off the bench, with Old Man Snowden tying it together. Taqele did what we expected of him.

What today proved:
  • the Rebels aren't maybe quite as good as they looked after 3 rounds;
  • the Tahs aren't quite as bad as they were last week; and
  • playing rugby in 40C heat is fucked. I played yesterday in 35C and was rooted after 2 x 20 minute halves.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Also: what the fuck was Debrewhatsit thinking, giving Taqele that much space? Taqele isn't going to beat you in the air, so compete for the ball and let him get a yellow card?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
My take from the game:

1. Heat clearly affected the Rebels pigs more than the Tahs.

2. Foley, Beale and to a lesser extent Hegarty's out of hand kicking was actually fantastic. There were a couple that were shanked but for the most part every kick put enormous territorial pressure on the Rebels. Might not have worked as well had DHP been on.

3. Taqele needs to start. Foketi sticks at 13, Rona 14 and Folau at 15 (Folau can take up wide positions when in possession from fullback)

4. Maddocks will be a Wallaby soon.

5. Simmons backwards grubber and fumble was hilarious

6. Phillip, Coleman and Timani were all pretty absent. I would have started with Hardwick given the conditions.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
3. Taqele needs to start. Foketi sticks at 13, Rona 14 and Folau at 15 (Folau can take up wide positions when in possession from fullback)

Hegarty was so valuable at 15 though - third playmaker and very agile ball runner. Had a prominent hand in things

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don’t think you start with Taqele........... he’s invaluable as a super sub, but won’t have as much impact for a full match.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Big Taqele may have wilted out there in the heat if he started. Bring him on with 20-30 minutes left after teams' defensive structures start to break down and guys start falling off tackles.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's hard to judge either teams form on that.
I think what it says most is that the Aussie conference is absolutely wide open.

Literally any of the 4 Aussie sides could win the conference. Sunwolves, not so much.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Hate to say it but Wessels was taught a lesson today, we went massive and paid for it after about 30mins. In 40 degree heat we missed a trick by not playing a lighter forward at the 7. Also Hodge to 15 was the wrong decision, he either needed to be kept at 12 and help provide someone that can win collisions at 12 in attack and defense, or pushed to the wing, maddocks to 15 should of been made.

For the Tahs I hope they stick to the Folau midfield bomb tactic, it dramatically changed the game. Fantastic win by them, the sort of thing we need to get fans back.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Good win. Changes went well. Room for improvement. Scum improved and 5 tries will win a lot of games. A win to the Rebs would have been put the glasses down but Australian conference now pretty open after another good Reds win. Rebels have a hard couple of weeks, but won't have to play in those conditions again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rebelsfan

Billy Sheehan (19)
ok the Tahs deserved the win, but on the day, in the heat, it is damn hard t defend but easier to attack psyche wise. All credit to the Tahs for getting the job done. I'm not going to savage the Rebels for this, I'm disappointed, but not emo

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
ok the Tahs deserved the win, but on the day, in the heat, it is damn hard t defend but easier to attack psyche wise. All credit to the Tahs for getting the job done. I'm not going to savage the Rebels for this, I'm disappointed, but not emo
Exactly. Rebs very good in first 1/2, but unbearable playing conditions took toll in 2nd .Probably just a reality check and they are still on top of the conference and I hope they have a good tour. Watched the Reds this morning and they were good, so should be a ding dong battle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Hate to say it but Wessels was taught a lesson today, we went massive and paid for it after about 30mins. In 40 degree heat we missed a trick by not playing a lighter forward at the 7. Also Hodge to 15 was the wrong decision, he either needed to be kept at 12 and help provide someone that can win collisions at 12 in attack and defense, or pushed to the wing, maddocks to 15 should of been made.

For the Tahs I hope they stick to the Folau midfield bomb tactic, it dramatically changed the game. Fantastic win by them, the sort of thing we need to get fans back.

Yeh I tend to agree playing all your big boppers in this heat starting to my mind was a mistake and equally not putting Maddock at 15 the same given how well he is playing with Navilu brought on the wing would have been my choice.

The Rebels may have lost this battle but certainly not the war. Tahs showed that in winning this week against the Rebels after losing to Jaguars last week. But I agree I think Wessels may a few tactical blunders today but I am sure he will bounce back.

Status
Not open for further replies.