• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Round 5, Waratahs vs Rebels - Sunday 18 March @ 4pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

Gees I thought those old Quade vs Foley debates were over. Sorry Quade is not in the same ball park for consistency that Foley offers. What lunatic would seriously consider Quade over Foley at this point when he is not proven in last few seasons he is the better 10...when he plays better consistently at 10 then Foley then lets open the debate again but Quade is just so far from being on the radar at this point as better option then Foley.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Gees I thought those old Quade vs Foley debates were over. Sorry Quade is not in the same ball park for consistency that Foley offers. What lunatic would seriously consider Quade over Foley at this point when he is not proven in last few seasons he is the better 10.when he plays better consistently at 10 then Foley then lets open the debate again but Quade is just so far from being on the radar at this point as better option then Foley.
Foley was not at his best in the early games but back to form today, and his goal kicking him way ahead. I think a lot of myths were exposed today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
It's hard to judge either teams form on that.

Really? Watching at the game the apparent things which were good for the Tahs were:-
Set piece very surprisingly strong. I was really taken by this.
Passing interplay and support good.
Fitness.
Impact from bench.
Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised. Few stars for the Rebels looked surprisingly flat - Coleman, Hodge, Genia among them. Mafi was a beast and they dropped visibly when he went off. I thought the big difference was that the Rebels looked gassed after half time whereas the Tahs lifted. No doubt the very hot conditions probably favoured the maybe better conditioning of the Tahs (which is probably one of the few things they had on the positive side of their ledger pre-game).
Overall, I was very surprised with the final outcome. People should look at Beale and Foley in concert with each other - they do provide a point of difference.
Plus, Foley has now missed one kick for 2018 ( I think) - and it hit the post. Happy with that.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Well I found that pretty exciting.
First 30 minutes I was thinking here we go again, as the Tahs continually turned over possession and made stupid mistakes.
Then bang! Where did that come from?

Seriously, the two big differences were the forwards gaining parity (or dare I say, even a little ascendancy) and the backs being accurate with their catching and passing. Full kudos to the pigs for matching the Rebs in the scrum (despite a 15kg weight deficit) and getting over the gain line in general play. Kepu made a huge difference, and I thought Fitzpatrick had a great game. Simmons has some good qualities, but gee he does some dumb stuff.

In the backs I though both Beale and Foley controlled the game well, Foketi was good, and I thought Mitch short was very good for his first start, accurate passing, some good defence and plenty of energy. Folau and Nayorovoro got good opportunities to demonstrate their particular skills, ie catching a ball in the air and running over other humans, respectively.

For the Rebs Jack D had a strong game, Mafi as always was very dangerous with the ball, Genia good as always and I thought Ainsley had a strong game. On the negative side, Coleman was a bit anonymous (possibly still carrying a bit of an injury?), Rangi had a bad day throwing into the lineout, and Maddocks got schooled under the high ball be Folau.

Finally Foley from the tee now, I think, 22 from 23 this season (96%), with the miss hitting the upright! Going to be a big help if he keeps that up!

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I thought Foley was pretty average with ball in hand. Turned it over a few times. His passing was so/so.

It's his kicking that really impressed me.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I thought Foley was pretty average with ball in hand. Turned it over a few times. His passing was so/so.

You should watch it again.He was fine. Difference is he takes on the line sometimes, so he might get turned over. As opposed to always passing to someone else (that does). The devil is in the detail with stats.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)

Really? Maybe play Latu at 10?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Back home in the bBM. Where the fuck did that performance come from? Lindommer junior and I were sitting behind a posse of Mexicans (some moved here last year, some friends flew up for the match), they were feeling pretty chuffed after 30 minutes and turned around to, almost, apologise for their team's drubbing of the Tahs up to then; "we've been to so many poor performances we have to enjoy a good one when we can, etc". The Tahs' tries immediately before and after half-time were against the run of play and, TBH, astonishing. Then the Rebels forwards tired and the Tahs ran away with the match.

The most puzzling and exhilarating performance from the Tahs I've seen for quite some time.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The thing I like was the passing and support play, we are having "those" sorts of tries each week.

Nice interplays, solid support work. From Beale's no try in the earlier rounds to Rona's vs the Jags and couple in this game likes Simmon's

Bloody good team support play

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Man, Beale, Foley and Izzy just tore us apart in the second half. Jack D has this habit of taking the ball static and shoveling it off. He'd do well to watch how KB (Kurtley Beale) and Foley hold the defence and make space for their outside runners.

I reckon the Rebels will be getting a pasting on the training track this week.

AFL_Converted

Billy Sheehan (19)
AS I PREDICTED the Tahs smoked those Vics.

The stars of Foley, Folau, Beale and Hooper were massive.

Fitzy was good too.

Scrums were on parity thanks to Kepu and Simmons coming back.

The Rebels mojo has been dented bigtime.
You've predicted we'd be smoked every week so we can hardly call you an oracle yet. ;-)

The Tahs were much better on the day. We had nothing in the second half. Could not keep the ball for more than a couple of phases and could barely lay a finger in the Tahs when they had it.

Ballboy

Chris McKivat (8)
we have been applying pressure this year and getting results , Tahs put the pressure on us and we wilted ,, DHP was a big loss , IMO should have put Maddox to 10 and Debra to 15 and bring Saffa on ,, starting to doubt Coleman a bit ,, Mafi Timani Phillip seem to be doing most of the work Coleman hardly sighted ,, having the Eddie Jones problem of not being able to adjust to new / changed tactics by opposition , great use of great weapon by Tahs

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Man, Beale, Foley and Izzy just tore us apart in the second half. Jack D has this habit of taking the ball static and shoveling it off. He'd do well to watch how KB (Kurtley Beale) and Foley hold the defence and make space for their outside runners.

I reckon the Rebels will be getting a pasting on the training track this week.

The weather didn't help, playing big bopper forward crash ball and death maul rugby is less fun in 40 degree heat

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
we have been applying pressure this year and getting results , Tahs put the pressure on us and we wilted ,, DHP was a big loss , IMO should have put Maddox to 10 and Debra to 15 and bring Saffa on ,, starting to doubt Coleman a bit ,, Mafi Timani Phillip seem to be doing most of the work Coleman hardly sighted ,, having the Eddie Jones problem of not being able to adjust to new / changed tactics by opposition , great use of great weapon by Tahs

I reckon Coleman just has start of season syndrome. He's going to be first choice lock for club and country for the entire year. No harm in pacing himself somewhat.

He was anonymous though. Lineout didn't function particularly well either.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I reckon Coleman just has start of season syndrome. He's going to be first choice lock for club and country for the entire year. No harm in pacing himself somewhat.

He was anonymous though. Lineout didn't function particularly well either.

I think the Rebels lineout got worse with the replacement hooker - remember, Uelese was out - and they lost / overthrew 4-5 in a row at one point. I think that was their biggest issue. Before that they were fine I thought .

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
uote="Derpus, post: 995569, member: 70858"]I reckon Coleman just has start of season syndrome. He's going to be first choice lock for club and country for the entire year. No harm in pacing himself somewhat.

He was anonymous though. Lineout didn't function particularly well either.[/quote]

Yep - just hope he continues current form when the Reds next play the Rebs

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
You've predicted we'd be smoked every week so we can hardly call you an oracle yet. ;-)

The Tahs were much better on the day. We had nothing in the second half. Could not keep the ball for more than a couple of phases and could barely lay a finger in the Tahs when they had it.

I had to get it right eventually as I knew the Rebels would not be undefeated the whole season.

Status
Not open for further replies.