• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

1st Test, Australia vs. South Africa, 9 - 13 Nov at the Gabba!

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Oddly enough in recent times we have a better record vs SA in South Africa, rather than at home. Go figure.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Oddly enough in recent times we have a better record vs SA in South Africa, rather than at home. Go figure.

That's true and it's a bit of a surprise. I reckon Punter's greatest hour as captain was winning that series in South Africa in 2009 when everyone else had written us off.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
That's true and it's a bit of a surprise. I reckon Punter's greatest hour as captain was winning that series in South Africa in 2009 when everyone else had written us off.
Not really a surprise for me. In the past we had to play in Australia first over the big days, got moered get back to SA totally in disarray and lost at home. Cricket is all about form and much between the ears of the players and confidense. Luckily for some reason SA Cricket saw the light and change this. Tests isnt about winning alone, its about coming back after a loss. Thats the difficult part.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
One of Warner, Cowan and Quiney need to step up in this game. I hope Quiney does well, but I can't help but think that CA have been recruiting players from the depths of coal mines. Mind the black lung!

quiney.jpg

So, if you were to win the toss tomorrow, would you bat or bowl?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If it looks like there is any life in the pitch, I'd probably bowl tomorrow if I was Australia.

I think we have a good trio of fast bowlers (or four if they don't pick Lyon, which is more of a possibility with Watson out) and our batting lineup can be a little vulnerable, particularly against the Proteas bowling attack.

It could backfire massively if we can't take wickets but I think it would be playing to our current strengths.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Not a lively pitch apparently, so I suspect we will see Lyon in the team. I wanted Starc instead of Hilfenhaus, simply because a nippy left armer would add some variation. If the Courier Mail is anything to judge by, we will be bowling alot of short stuff and outswingers. Starc can do both of these things, whilst Hilfy doesn't really have a good bouncer, nor does Siddle.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I would personally pick Starc on the basis that a left armer provides a real point of difference in your attack and Starc's form has been superb in recent months (albeit in shorter form cricket).

It's hard to leave out Siddle, Hilfy or Pattinson, but I think it is a mistake not to pick Starc.

If it's not a real greentop in Brisbane, we have to bat first if we win the toss. Not losing more than two wickets in the first session will be crucial.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Picking four quicks has rarely worked for us, unless it was on a lightning fast track like the WACA sometimes is. Lyon should play at the expense of probably Starc. Bowling first really should only be an option if the Gabba track is very green. If you stick a team in and they're 4/300 after day one you are pretty much sunk.

Play a spinner, bat first if we have any say in it.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Picking four quicks has rarely worked for us, unless it was on a lightning fast track like the WACA sometimes is. Lyon should play at the expense of probably Starc. Bowling first really should only be an option if the Gabba track is very green. If you stick a team in and they're 4/300 after day one you are pretty much sunk.

Play a spinner, bat first if we have any say in it.

I agree that you really have to pick a spinner.

The general consensus is that if three quicks can't take wickets, it's unlikely four will do much better.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Spinners have a pretty good record at the Gabba (and not just SK Warne). We would be crazy to go into the game without one. OUr tactics will be target Smith, nothing new there - our cricketers always like to beat the opposition from the head down. Its a big tour for Smith, this is the series that could see him elevated into the "great" captain status as series victory this time will be a lot harder than last time (when the Aussies were limp wristed).

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
With Watson I thought Aus were a good punt to win the series.

Now I am not so sure.

If Amla gets in Australia are gone. More important than Smith for us nowadays. I read the Aussies will target him with mind games. Whatever the fuck that is. :rolleyes:

He is mentally the strongest batsmen to come out of SA in many years. Had horrible technical deficiencies early in his career (so much so that one M Atherton said he did not expect to see Amla around for long - and later apologised, admitting he was wrong). It's widely known that his mind is like a rock.

If you are looking for mental frailty go down the order. Rudolph and Duminy tend to be flaky if they get a couple of low scores. If Duminy can scratch out a 50 in the first innings he will be dangerous for the rest of the series. Else you can get on top of him. He got dropped out of the test squad a while back because he totally lost his mojo.

Rudolph will relish these wickets but I am not convinced about his mental makeup.

Smith will just tell you to fuck right off so having a go at him isn't going to get you anywhere. Just make him play and don't bowl on his legs.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
We've brought Dean Jones in to provide some sledging advice for Amla.

Yeah I was wondering how they'd sledge him. His beard? Wife's burka? All a bit dangerous no?

Dean Jones would be the guy though. Doesn't give much of a shit about petty boundaries.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yeah I was wondering how they'd sledge him. His beard? Wife's burka? All a bit dangerous no?

Dean Jones would be the guy though. Doesn't give much of a shit about petty boundaries.

You know the incident I'm referring to right?

It's at the 59 second mark and ended Dean Jones' commentary career (at least for the time being).

Status
Not open for further replies.