• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

1st Test, Australia vs. South Africa, 9 - 13 Nov at the Gabba!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
Amla pushes his test average now over 50. What a year he is having? regarding the pitch, I can see Steyn having a go on that greenish pitch. Just that extra bit of speed and it bring out the bounce.

If our quicks are not getting a great deal out of the pitch, I fail to see how Steyn will get bounce and speed out of it. He is good, but I don't think he is that good. The wicket has turned into a batsmen's wicket. With all this rain about tonight, it will be interesting to see how it affects the pitch tomorrow, but I can't see it miraculously getting some pace and bounce. If the sun comes out, there might be some swing, but it should still be a batsmen's wicket. Wait until Clarkie and Punter have a bat on it. ;)

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
If there is one quick on the scene who can extract something out of a tough pitch it's Steyn.

Get 450 and tell Steyn and Morkel to go hard. That woould be SA's plan.

Pitch looks a pearler though.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Two or three needed in the pre-lunch session tomorrow or we are toast. I would have expected a first day Gabba track to do a bit more than it has, but there you go. If we can restrict the Saffers to less than 400-450 we're still in it.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
So with the start of the cricket season, as per tradition, it starts raining in Brisbane. Fucking hell I swear it does this every year.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
I can't recall the last time we had a whole day wash out in a test in Brisbane, Tigerland? Certainly not in the last few years.
We can certainly do with this rain.... just the timing is off. Still, the next three days are looking fine.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
From the Cricket Australia website

"The last time a full day was washed out in a Gabba Test was November 29, 1983 against Pakistan. It was the final day of that match with Australia pressing for victory, needing 7 wickets. That 29-year record looks likely to fall today."

Whatty, I'll reserve judgment on that until after tomorrow, the Gabba pitch should juice up a bit after this rain and have a bit more life in it than it had on Friday.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Lets hope the aus team dont take a leaf out the wobs book today!

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Cowan looks the goods.

Surely it's time for Ponting to make way?

It's early days in this series, but looks to me like there is a lot work to do on the bowling before the Ashes.

Who are Australia's best four bowlers? Seems to me the answer is a moving target. Very unusual.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Yeah injuries don't help that Blue. The talent is there, just need to get the right cast fit and firing.

As for Ponting, the thing is he was THE form Shield batsman before this test. He was in form. So I don't think he should be punted just yet (no pun intended). GIve him this series I reckon. Plus there are no viable alternatives at this point in time, although if Khawaja keeps scoring runs I'd put him in there. He has test match technique and temperament.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
Cowan and Pup need to pick up from where they left off today. It is good to see Cowan in the runs, and I would like to see him go on to make his maiden test ton.

A result is still possible at this stage, and it will be interesting to see how both teams play tomorrow. Even though we lost 3 wickets cheaply, I think Clarke will really want the run rate ticking along to get as close to the SA target as possible. That's the thing I really like about Clarke's captaincy, he will always push for a result, and won't die wondering.

I think tomorrow will the best day of the test. It will really make or break the game for either team. Although I must say that SA definitely has their foot on our throat at the moment.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Didn't see a huge amount of the play, but very pleased with the way Pup and Cowan batted. They were very positive in that last session and looked to turn a bit of the pressure around. If we get 350+ then you'd think we're safe, but still a long way to go there. Very important that these two really kick on now.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
SA in box seat and it could all be over today if we lose two wickets quickly this morning, which we shouldn't given the pitch is still playing well.

However, I struggle to see how they can bat for nearly two days and only get 450. They need us to follow on to win the game given the lost time but the follow on is only one good partnership away from our over night score. Is smith prepared to risk losing in order to push for victory via an aggressive declaration?

whatty

Bob Loudon (25)
Is smith prepared to risk losing in order to push for victory via an aggressive declaration?

Looking for a quick 10 wickets on this very flat pitch I doubt it.
He has done it before and fairly recently but Not in this match.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
However, I struggle to see how they can bat for nearly two days and only get 450. They need us to follow on to win the game given the lost time but the follow on is only one good partnership away from our over night score. Is smith prepared to risk losing in order to push for victory via an aggressive declaration?

Couldn't understand the Saffer tactics when they were batting. With a days play lost, you'd think that they would have tried to up the scoring rate at some stage yesterday. They had the whip hand, even with the loss of a days play.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
And now the follow on has been avoided. Good stuff fellas, it's taken one option away from the Saffers. They would now have to risk losing the game in order to win it and Smith is not that kind of captain.

Status
Not open for further replies.