• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

1st Test, Australia vs. South Africa, 9 - 13 Nov at the Gabba!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
And now the follow on has been avoided. Good stuff fellas, it's taken one option away from the Saffers. They would now have to risk losing the game in order to win it and Smith is not that kind of captain.

I think that would have a little more to do with being a player short...

Anyway nobody is winning this test match unless they possess that rare skill of pulling live twin rabbits from their arse.

Why would the Gabba groundsman prepare this kind of pitch in a 3 test series? This is just becoming no contest. Stupid.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
These two guys are looking in good touch. Yet again Clarke leads from the front. I would expect these two to accelerate a bit now, and try to wipe off as much of the deficit as they can.

And Steyn has just dropped Cowan! Goodness.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Couldn't understand the Saffer tactics when they were batting. With a days play lost, you'd think that they would have tried to up the scoring rate at some stage yesterday. They had the whip hand, even with the loss of a days play.

A batsman short and go all guns blazing. Yeah right.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)

Mate, come on. They were 3/300 odd and going at less than 3 an over. If that's not an opportunity to pile on the runs and probably not have to bat again in the test match. As it was they fiddled and fucked about for 40-50 overs and got nowhere. I mean they can't lose the game and are a player short, fair enough, but aren't we having a go at the Wallabies for being too conservative?

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Why would the Gabba groundsman prepare this kind of pitch in a 3 test series? This is just becoming no contest. Stupid.

It's a bit out of character. Brisbane wickets have in the main been result oriented tracks. Not enough in it for the pace bowlers this time.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Nice fight back as expected from the Aussies. 17 overs remaining and they should declared leaving enough time to stuck in the Cricket Bokke wickets.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
There is a fair bit of middle ground between scoring at under 3 runs per over and scoring at 3.75 per over - or even above, it doesn't have to be either or. At this rate, Aus might be the ones ruing the day lost to rain.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Cricket Bokke wont mind a draw here. Always difficult the first test and we are the nr1, so a drawn series will be just fine. Pressure is on the Aussies and they are the ones that should take the risks specially in test 1 but Mickey Mouse obvious to stupid to be aware of this and will let the Aussies to bat to safety.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I've been thinking about what I'd do if I were Clarke. The track isn't doing a lot and I'd be surprised if we could get too far into the Saffer batting line up. What I would be tempted to do though would be go real hard until stumps, get a lead and declare overnight. It might work, but if we're honest the wicket has flattened out too much for there to be much of a chance of a result.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
There is a fair bit of middle ground between scoring at under 3 runs per over and scoring at 3.75 per over - or even above, it doesn't have to be either or. At this rate, Aus might be the ones ruing the day lost to rain.
Its called test cricket, 3 or 1 or 6 runs per over, its over 5 days and pretty sure Kirsten wont mind or worry one bit.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Cricket Bokke wont mind a draw here. Always difficult the first test and we are the nr1, so a drawn series will be just fine. Pressure is on the Aussies and they are the ones that should take the risks specially in test 1 but Mickey Mouse obvious to stupid to be aware of this and will let the Aussies to bat to safety.

Geez Paarl, I dunno about that. How is the pressure on us?

I note also your disdain for Mickey Arthur. He did a pretty good job while at the helm with South Africa, including winning a test series in Australia for the first time. I don't think he's stupid.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I've been thinking about what I'd do if I were Clarke. The track isn't doing a lot and I'd be surprised if we could get too far into the Saffer batting line up. What I would be tempted to do though would be go real hard until stumps, get a lead and declare overnight. It might work, but if we're honest the wicket has flattened out too much for there to be much of a chance of a result.
Always the best to make them bat a few overs and let the quicks go all guns blazing for 10+ overs. Nick a wicket or two and start the last day with your tail up and fresh. The shittest time to bat in tests is that few overs at the last session of the day. The more time Aus use up now , the better for the Cricket Bokke.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Its called test cricket, 3 or 1 or 6 runs per over, its over 5 days and pretty sure Kirsten wont mind or worry one bit.

Sure, but if you want to give yourself a chance to take 20 wickets, you've got to score at a reasonable rate. This is especially the case when you lose 90 overs to rain.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Geez Paarl, I dunno about that. How is the pressure on us?

I note also your disdain for Mickey Arthur. He did a pretty good job while at the helm with South Africa, including winning a test series in Australia for the first time. I don't think he's stupid.
You have to win the series to get to nr1. I have never been a Mickey Mouse fan, he never played test cricket and was our cricket Muppet version.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Always the best to make them bat a few overs and let the quicks go all guns blazing for 10+ overs. Nick a wicket or two and start the last day with your tail up and fresh. The shittest time to bat in tests is that few overs at the last session of the day. The more time Aus use up now , the better for the Cricket Bokke.

In general you are right and with the rate they are going right now this could well be what Clarke is thinking. There is nothing to be lost by really going for it now.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
You have to win the series to get to nr1. I have never been a Mickey Mouse fan, he never played test cricket and was our cricket Muppet version.

That is true, but wouldn't you blokes want to win the first test and make it even harder for us (having to win the next two on the trot)?

Whether or not Arthur played test cricket is rather immaterial I would have thought. Plenty of good coaches weren't great players. The second half of that sentence you've lost me on I'm afraid.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
In general you are right and with the rate they are going right now this could well be what Clarke is thinking. There is nothing to be lost by really going for it now.
Smith sure playing along giving Amla the red apple. Few years back they would just bowled negative to put the plug on.

Status
Not open for further replies.