• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2010 QLD Club Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Doc

Garrick Morgan on the G Coast does a great job. he actively seeks the TSS and other school players giving them a warm fuzzy about the program andit is paying dividends handsomley.
EG, they already have a nuber of school based player s fronting their bench in preparation for the finals programs - Cox's & Talialui from TSs and some from other schools.
Thats good recruitment and we say last year that Souths had Situati in their lineup for the finals.
Situati was there all year, even before the GPS season. He'd come straight from NZ and his cousin was playing at Souths. If it wasn't for that he could easily have gone elsewhere.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Some cracking games and matchups this week, Uni v Brothers the pick of the round. How many games have Uni now gone wthout a loss?

Souths v Sunnybank should be another good one and it will be good to see Ben Tapuai up against Ant Fainga'a in the centres. Sun Coast will also be desperate for a win at Easts tomorrow, so that will be an interesting game as well.

Not sure which game to go to?

R

rugbywhisperer

Breaker v Wests was a total waste of time and oxygen.
Well done to Wests, is that now 3 wins for the season, you must now be equal to the Breakers.
With the players available to the Breakers this should have been a much better game.
Highlite of the evening, lamb shanks at home.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Uni got up at the death over Brothers with a try to Laurie Weeks 30-29.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
RW - Did the Breakers Colts have an easy win or did Wests put up a fight?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Its a funny season in Prem colts this year. 7 teams still in the running with 12 points separating 1st and 7th. The next few weeks will probably give a better indication of how the finals will look. Big upset yesterday with Sunny Coast getting a win on the road against Easts.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Cracker of a game down at Sunnybank with young Matt Lucas kicking a dropgoal on fulltime to snatch a come from behind win against Souths. Plenty of good players on the field and the forward battle was quite intense. Leroy Houston had some enormous carries and Holmes was also dominant. I wonder if these two guys will come on the Deans radar if there are more injuries at National level? The clash between Tapuai and Fainga'a was absorbing. Both featured heavily in attack and defence. The Reds will not be losing anything in defence if Taps has to substitute for Ant at any stage.

I also thought Hamlin went very well for Souths. A very tough guy, with all the skills, he is worth developing as a halfback option for the Reds, along with Prior from Uni.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Uni got up at the death over Brothers with a try to Laurie Weeks 30-29.

I was provoked by Juan Cote's positive post re the good state of QLD Premier rugby to go to this match.

I was just blown away by how good it was.

I enjoyed it way more than Wallabies-Ireland (seriously). The intensity was excellent, the 'mongrel' in the breakdown work would have put some Wallaby forwards to shame, and there were some great back line plays and well-worked long passes, many to positive effect. The score advantage ebbed and flowed all match, the pressure was really on. It was terrific to be there.

And the Brothers kicker had a touch of the Giteaus at the very end and missed a kickable penalty to escape a Brothers win - shows that kicking skill under pressure lives high up in the kingdom of rugby.

R

rugbywhisperer

Whisperer, The shanks must have been good. I thought the game was very good. Wests havent played that well for years. Mind you as good as Wests were GC were horrible.
As for the colts GC got away to a good start but West clawed there way back it was another good game. GC were very well drilled and congragulations should go to thier coach.
However I dont beleive they will be able to compete with Brothers, SB and Uni.
I am happy to report that the West sProp (colts) Lutera Rupeni is on the mend after being ambulanced to hospital. It appears that he aggrevated a disk in his lower back. The extruciating pain caused him to pass out and he spent the night in GC hospital. Thank you to all the GC staff who helped with Big L.

My apologies to Wests - I was looking at the game from a Breakers viewpoint. I don't manage to get to many premier games and the Breakers have been exceedingly disappointing this year.
Wests did a winderful job and you are correct, the Breakers were horrible and the shanks to die for, as they usually are when my beloved cooks.
Thanks for the update on Rupeni. At the ground we didn't know what had happened but it looked bad. Glad he is OK.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
However I dont beleive they will be able to compete with Brothers, SB and Uni.

They have actually beaten us twice this year. In round 1 they thumped us 39-18 and a couple of weeks ago they put us to the sword 27-18. I think when they have close to their top team on the field they are a very good chance of winning the comp this year. I would be very surprised if they weren't in the top 4. Equal first at the moment so I guess I'm not taking a big risk saying that.

T

TOCC

Stephen Moore is going to turn out for University on saturday, makes a impressive frontrow

T

TOCC

Mitch Chapman and Adam Byrnes are also playing this week for Uni..

Its gonna be a tough game for GPS

WESTCOMBE RANGER

Allen Oxlade (6)
Apparently Adam Byrnes is on the bench but insider info tells me he'll be playing a large part - Expect he might come on at half time. Be interesting who he replaces ?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Souths beat Gold Coast 31-28. Quade won it for them.

Goldie up 18-3 at half time due to some against the run of play tries (oh and one from a beautiful Slipper pass). Slipper and Daley led a dominant scrum. Ant Fainga'a looked excellent though and was best on ground in the 1st half.

In the first half that is. Because in the 2nd half, Quade came on and turned the game. Sen-bloody-sational. Set up two tries through perfect long cut out passes, one to the left and one to the right. Then converted both tries from the side line, on either side of the field. Then scored a try himself, stepping through plenty of tacklers.

Then was part of the counter, and threw the last pass for the match winning try right at full time. The score was GC up 28-24 and the Souths winger only needed to score in the corner. Instead he ran it around under the posts and I, as well as my viewing mates, reckon he dropped it when he put it down one handed. The ref awarded it regardless.

Quade was magical to watch

S

saulih

Anyone go to the Sunny Coast thrashing of Wests? Did Wests fold, or was SC just that much better?

unsub god

Herbert Moran (7)
Anyone go to the Sunny Coast thrashing of Wests? Did Wests fold, or was SC just that much better?

The Bulldogs did not turn up. Higgers looked short of a run and i suspect that his team mates thought he'd do most of the work. Congrats to the stingers - they certainly pushed themselves for the full 80 minutes. The Dogs should have a big week on the tackle bags.

Status
Not open for further replies.