• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2010 QLD Club Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Doc

and no uni were absolute nuffies last year and had absolutely nothing going for them... and benefit this year from some excellent recruitment and hard work put in by their coaching staff.

Uni started very poorly and were out of contention before the end of round one. lost 6 of first 7. Not sure what recruitment, they may have 2-3 new players which would be probably less than everywhere else. I know they only picked up a few players over last few years because other clubs couldn't fulfill promises.

The scary thing for the rest of us is that a large percentage of the Uni team have come through their academy. Clearly the process is finally paying off for them.

F

FTM

I think Mitch Chapman is playing for Uni this week - if so, 12 of their starting 15 this week played for them last year.

Obvously took Mick Heenan a season to change some attitudes because it's a pretty dramatic turnaround from their 2008 performance under Nick Leah and Zane Hilton. Anyone know what's happened to Nick Leah?

Did GPS win a premiership whilst Heenan was head coach there?

There were rumours last year that Mooney wanted him to come in as the Reds forward coach. If Link takes on the Wallabies in 2010 after Deans contract expires, what price Heenan joining the Reds?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
nah, Heenan didn't coach GPS to a premiership. Maybe a minor premiership or two, but never all they way.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
There is only 3 or 4 players in the uni top squad that have been there for less then 2 years. The majority have come through the colts and academy system.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think Mitch Chapman is playing for Uni this week - if so, 12 of their starting 15 this week played for them last year.

Obvously took Mick Heenan a season to change some attitudes because it's a pretty dramatic turnaround from their 2008 performance under Nick Leah and Zane Hilton. Anyone know what's happened to Nick Leah?

Did GPS win a premiership whilst Heenan was head coach there?

There were rumours last year that Mooney wanted him to come in as the Reds forward coach. If Link takes on the Wallabies in 2010 after Deans contract expires, what price Heenan joining the Reds?

From what I understand he was working in the States for a while but is now in Japan with the Kubota Spears.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
There is only 3 or 4 players in the uni top squad that have been there for less then 2 years. The majority have come through the colts and academy system.

Considering that at the team photo last night they had about 40 players try and get in the Prem squad photo that isn't many. :lmao:

L

League Legend

Uni has to recruit all their talent rather than develop it considering they have no junior base to build from. It helps having some funds behind them to do this. Most clubs in Brisbane dont have this luxury. I personally believe there is no loyalty in Brisbane Premier rugby considering it is a largely ameature level of sport.

S

Saders07

It is that amateur characteristic that does create loyalty at clubs. Unfortunately it is under constant threat by the professional & wanna be professionals on the periphery. Clubs with the money can then access the better players. There is loyalty in Brisbane Rugby League Legend, just look at Brothers but it does not apply across the board.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Wow, what a logjam for the final two spots after yesterday's round! Uni and Sunnybank are confirmed for the top two spots but Brothers, Sunny Coast, Easts, Souths and GPS are all on 47 points with one round to go. The most interesting clash next week will be GPS v SunCoast with one of the teams definitely dropping out. Souths take on Wests, Brothers are down at the Goldie and Easts host Norths. Definitely bonus points required and then it may come down to for and against.

Went down to Bottomley yesterday, without too much expectation given the Tiger's injury list but they smoked Souths 60-15 or thereabouts! Great performance all round with everyone contributing. Good to see David Lucas back for Easts. He had a fine game at fullback, and Jack Mullins showed his versatiliy by putting in a strong performance on the wing. Thought the big prop 'Tiny' also had his best game for the season. Souths just weren't let into the game but I thought Flipper Manu was their best.

Next week will be an interesting round, that's for sure.

D

Doc

You would think easts and possibly souths will get 5, but souths have the worst for and against so if the winner of gps vs SC get four tries they will get through. The filfth are also capable of picking up 5 next week too. What a way to finish.

B

Boomy

Full scores from Round 17

University 85 (W Tuffley 2, H Porter 2, G Morseu 2, S Rasolea 2, L Fidow, S Morahan, J Hanson,T Kuridrani, D Burns tries, W Tuffley 9 cons, M O'Leary con)
Norths 10 (U Maninoa, M Flynn tries)

Easts 60 (D Skelton 2, J Charalambous, M Seuala, J Parry, M Brandon, J Mullins, D Lucas tries, M Brandon 2 pens 7 cons)
Souths 19 (D Feao, F Manu, C Field tries, C Field 2 cons)

Sunnybank 33 (N Ah Wong, R Setu, B Tapuai, M Feaunati, S Sovala tries, B Tapuai 2 cons, R Kingi 2 cons)
Brothers 22 (A McLean 2, S Price tries, D Murphy 2 cons, pen)

Gold Coast 17 (J Sykes try, D Nethery 4 pens)
Sunshine Coast 10 (L Fesolai try, A Millington con, pen)

GPS 39 (C Nasiganiyavi 2, D Slade 2, S Satui tries, M Garland 2 pens 4 cons)
Wests 27 (S Higginbotham, N Genia, R Smith tries, T Bennet con, I Aokuso 2 cons 2 pens)

Table - (link http://myrugby.rugby.com.au/myrugby/competitions/external/ladder.asp?comp=7249&OrgID=020000)
75 Uni
61 Sunnybank
47 Brothers
47 Sunshine Coast
-------------------
47 Easts
47 GPS
47 Souths
34 Gold Coast
27 Norths-QUT
16 Wests

WESTCOMBE RANGER

Allen Oxlade (6)
Wow, what a logjam for the final two spots after yesterday's round! Uni and Sunnybank are confirmed for the top two spots but Brothers, Sunny Coast, Easts, Souths and GPS are all on 47 points with one round to go. The most interesting clash next week will be GPS v SunCoast with one of the teams definitely dropping out. Souths take on Wests, Brothers are down at the Goldie and Easts host Norths. Definitely bonus points required and then it may come down to for and against.

Went down to Bottomley yesterday, without too much expectation given the Tiger's injury list but they smoked Souths 60-15 or thereabouts! Great performance all round with everyone contributing. Good to see David Lucas back for Easts. He had a fine game at fullback, and Jack Mullins showed his versatiliy by putting in a strong performance on the wing. Thought the big prop 'Tiny' also had his best game for the season. Souths just weren't let into the game but I thought Flipper Manu was their best.

Next week will be an interesting round, that's for sure.
Spectator

Personally speaking ( and you know why ) I would just love an Easts - UNI Grand final ( and so would someone else !! )
Will be eagerly awaiting the scores/phone calls etc next Saturday morning.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Well WR (World Rugby), Uni will be at short odds to be in the big one. They look a cut above everyone else at the moment with class all the way through the team.

Sunnybank might be a threat but would be more so if the likes of Ioane, Ben Lucas and Houston weren't injured and were available for the Finals. Souths will need results to go their way big time, with the worst for and against of all the contenders, but if they do get through and survive the first week of finals then Cooper and the Fainga'a's will be back.

I'll be at Bottomley on Saturday hoping for a bonus point win....and if that happens then who knows.

Go the Tigers!!!

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Does anyone have an idea of the injury lists at each of the clubs in the running for a top 4 spot? Could have a huge bearing on this weekend's games and the 3rd and 4th positions.

I know Quirk and Bertini are out for Easts, to add to the guys who have been out for a while. Big losses.

On the upside Hynes is back for GPS so that will be a big boost for them.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Well, too little too late for Easts unfortunately. 59-19 winners over a Will Genia led Norths but not enough on the for and against with both Brothers and Sunny Coast managing bonus point wins.

Good effort by Easts all the same. They've been a fairly impressive outfit the last two weeks. Matt Brandon has been inspirational at 10 but every player has pitched in, and they might have been a smoky if they had been able to sneak through. Pretty young outfit though, so looking for big things in 2011.

So onto Ballymore next Sunday, and I would expect Uni to triumph over the Bank, and it would be good for local rugby if SunCoast survive another week, though Brothers are a proven finals team.

Well done to Sun Coast for making their first finals series.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Yeah a fantastic result to see the Stingrays in the finals for the first time. They must be doing some good things up on the Sunny Coast with their Premier Colts having some close results over top 4 teams as well. I hope they win on the weekend because with the amount of press they get up on the Coast it will be great for rugby up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.