• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2010 Wallaby Report Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
So how did we go? ....one win against NZ, victory in the veldt, pounded the (poor) French

Are we World Cup contenders?

What is up with the scrum?

What part does Dingo Deans play in all of this?

I think we have the players to beat any team on our day - but some of those players have from time to time been absent in one way or another (not selected, injured, out of form), and even when a good number are present they have struggled to string victories together (as is generally required to win a world cup). There are still a few yet to be sufficiently improved issues around, but most (except the scrum) are going in the right direction (even Cooper managed more than 50% tackle sucess vs Italy, and maybe France too)

I hope very much that selections in the future take into account the need for a strong scrum, good defence and above all are based on form and fitness.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Are we world cup contenders? Well no, we aren't, but the world cup isn't this year, it is next year.

I generally agree we have the players to be able win the world cup next year, but we need clear improvement in some areas and also for some things to go our way:

1. Injuries - We clearly can't afford injuries to our front line players, particularly our front line forwards, so we need Moore, TPN, Robinson, Sharpe, Pocock, Horwill and Palu all healthy and in form next year.

2. Experience - The more experience our younger guys get the better we will get. At the moment the backline is lacking composure, and I would put most of this down to youth. Also having the likes of Slipper and Simmons get more games under their belts will help us immensley in the forwards.

3. Cooper's tackling - Apart from some lack of composure (which I believe will improve) this is the only element of his game that is stopping him from being world class. If the tackling improves it will take away a lot of headaches for the coach and players around him.

4. Goal kicking - Has to be of the standard of the last two weeks for us to have a chance in the RWC. Lets hope that both Barnes and JOC (James O'Connor) are kicking for their respective S14 teams to help them improve in this area.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Agree with you there Scotty.

1. is always an issue, and we can be sure there will be at least one 'first choice' player injured come next World Cup - an unfortunate aspect of the game I'm afraid

2. We could also select experienced players who are in form if the young guys are lacking composure or out of sorts

3. I'm just crossing my fingers on that one, but a 'no tackle - no start' rule appeals to me

4. I think the kickers will be JOC (James O'Connor), Barnes, Giteau, Cooper and, um, I'm not so sure about the Rebels, but that looks to be covered

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Doesn't answer Langthorne's first post, but...
My pluses for the tour:-
Slipper - real promise, hopefully can be nurtured into a dominant international prop
Simmons - has done well, and shown plenty of potential
Moore - storming back into form
Rocky - ditto, and captaincy is better all the time
Mitchell and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) - very good in contact, Schmoo turning into a top quality finisher

Minuses:-
Scrum
Too many forwards carrying from flat footed starts, too upright and not aggressive enough
Chip / grubber / stupid-arse kicks that need to be stomped on. Now.
Kick-chase often poor still.
Scrumscrumscrumscrumscrumscrumscrum mani padme hum...perhaps we need a mantra?

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
Doesn't answer Langthorne's first post, but...
My pluses for the tour:-
Slipper - real promise, hopefully can be nurtured into a dominant international prop
Simmons - has done well, and shown plenty of potential
Moore - storming back into form
Rocky - ditto, and captaincy is better all the time
Mitchell and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) - very good in contact, Schmoo turning into a top quality finisher

Minuses:-
Scrum
Too many forwards carrying from flat footed starts, too upright and not aggressive enough
Chip / grubber / stupid-arse kicks that need to be stomped on. Now.
Kick-chase often poor still.
Scrumscrumscrumscrumscrumscrumscrum mani padme hum...perhaps we need a mantra?

I agree with that report card. Shame we couldn't unearth a decent running no. 8 as well.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
IMO the report card would read a definite neutral. A season of missed opportunity.

There were some very good discoveries and some improvements in a few areas, but they were balanced by the regression in others.

Positives:-
1. Slipper - given his form in the few games in played in the S14 was it really that much of a surprise he stepped up?
2. Cooper - on attack he is very good but should be rightly in danger of missing out on future selection unless he learns to defend. More in negatives.
3. Lineout - Sharpe had his best season ever IMO. He held the lineout together and with a balanced selection in the second locking spot would be part of a world class pack. Moore also regained his best lineout throwing form with one or two crooked/off target throws after his first games back.
4. Pocock - Perhaps the only player in the 2010 Wallabies that could be truly regarded as world class this year
5. Beale - if he plays with consistancy and gets rid of the low percentage plays he is some times prone to he will also be up there with Pocock.

Negatives:-
1. Scrum - Ma'afu, S. Finger, Alexander, Robinson, Daley - for varying reasons which have all been discussed, all have done themselves no favours or damaged their reputation. The whining from Deans regarding Castro was poor and the Oz scrum well beaten, yet again.
2. Forward drive - where is it? Consistently absent for a few years now the Wallaby forwards rarely maul or pick and drive with any effectiveness. The pigs are reduced to one off the ruck carries into the defence or seagulling in the centres or on the wing.
3. Selection - the team and larger squad continues to lack balance, and continued selection of players out of form and/or those who have continually failed step up at test level. Mystifying selection of players who were not the best in their position in the Oz teams and selection of players out of position. The selection of Barnes in two weeks showed a massive improvement in midfield defence and IMO in the structure of the Wallaby attack.
4. Bench use - the coaching has been consistently poor in this regard, excepting a couple of glaring examples.
5. Cooper - his defence is as bad as his attack is good. Falling out of the defensive line and letting others take this responsibility is not a long term fix. However as shown in the last two tests an effective defensive leader at 12 will help him massively. The question has not been definitively answered as the French and Italians did not really offer anything in mid-field attack, but Barnes led the defensive line forward much more effectively so that perhaps any attacks attempts were thus hampered.
6. Game plans - on so many occassions this year the Wallabies have gone into games with no discernible game plan. On others there has been clearly no Plan B when the opposition were mastering them at Plan A.
7. Strengthn and conditioning - there can be no doubt that the Wallabies are one of the most aerobically fit teams in the world even though a couple of notable players appear to be carrying a lot of weight. I do however question the individual strength training of some of the players. On so many occassions the Wallabies (except Pocock) seem to come out second best in the contact and contest of strength with their opponent one on one. Missing has been the leg drive of players like Mictchell and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), the strength around the ruck of Genia. If it was one or two players perhaps you could put it down to injury or form but it appears consistent across the team. This could be a massive factor in points 1 and 2.

So all in all, a resounding neutral or 50% mark for the season. As to those blooded this year only Simmons and McCalman (maybe) could be regarded as long term Wallabies at this stage. Ma'afu should not get another run, Daley and S. Finger must work very hard on their set piece to even be considered, Higginbum didn't get enough time to be assessed.

To 2011 and what I would like to see:-
1. Players selected first and foremost on form and fitness in their positions with a view to the game plan AND the conditions to be played in.
2. Defined game plans and back-ups depending on the opponent being faced.
3. Improved conditioning & strength
4. Improved use of the bench

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think we under used the pick & drive this season. We looked good on the limited occasions we did pick & drive especially with Moore & Pocock but TPN, Alexander & Fatcat all pick & drive well.

Our backs need more space to work with so we definitely need to commit more defenders to the ruck.

N

Newter

A poor year, for the second year in a row. Has there been progress? We've mastered a more exciting style of play, but we crumble under pressure no less than we did in 2009. Chokes for the season this year:
- England in July
- ABs in Melb
- Boks on the highveldt, first Test
- ABs in Sydney
- England at Twickers

We should have won these Tests. Especially the two home games against the Darkness, where we demonstrated more than enough talent and fitness to win but weren't composed and disciplined enough to manage it.

As far as I'm concerned, that's a lot of failure in one season.

MrMouse

Bob Loudon (25)
Besides the idea that Mitchell is "turning into" a great finisher (given he's been that since 2007 and before), I fairly much agree with Cyclo on pluses and minuses. I think actually the kick-chase improved significantly through the tour, too.

On the actual point, I'd say yes we are contenders - but we're one of four or five significant contenders, and still a chance of bombing in the quarters. We have the cattle, in a general sense we have the game as demonstrated in sporadic periods, but there are other teams equal or well ahead of us at the moment in too many areas.

I think the scrum's been done to death in other areas, so I'll leave that.

Deans has made a lot of mistakes, including appointing some dodgy assistants and not taking outside suggestions/feedback, and persisting with stupid selections. However, credit where it's due - a number of players have made significant strides (Slipper, Simmons, Beale, JOC (James O'Connor)) and one way or another others have worked back into form (Cooper, Elsom, Moore, Mitchell, and Sharpey, Pocock into truly dominant players). By the end of the tour, a number of stupid selections had been rectified and the team was functioning more like a unit. So solid pass at least.

MrMouse

Bob Loudon (25)
IMO the report card would read a definite neutral. ...

To 2011 and what I would like to see:-
1. Players selected first and foremost on form and fitness in their positions with a view to the game plan AND the conditions to be played in.
2. Defined game plans and back-ups depending on the opponent being faced.
3. Improved conditioning & strength
4. Improved use of the bench

Gnostic I say this with no sarcasm, and no insult intended but I see a pass from you as a Credit and gold star for effort from many markers - you are understandably demanding and have very high standards. With a pass mark from you, the Wobs should feel they've had a fairly successful 2010.

I definitely agree with your areas of improvement, too.

I would say that the stand-off flat-footed forward "runners" have been an unfortunate feature of our game since the Connolly era at least (can't remember if Eddie used them). They're a blight, and quite useless if overused. They create quick recycle (sometimes) and that's about it. So it's not really a 2010 negative so much as an Australian rugby one. I also disagree quite strongly with your criticism of Deans comments re reffing - I say it's about bloody time he countered the negative PR about the scrum.

Also, perhaps Barnes should have gone into positives, as you note his impact and improvement on the defensive structure? From the positives, I'd say yes, it's a surprise that a 21yr old with 3 super rugby caps performed so well at test level, let alone in the front row. That's why it's such a big positive! The lineout in general was a positive, and the lineout general an even bigger one. You could also add the return to form of several players as positives, along with the improved captaincy of Elsom. So that means 8 or 9 major positives, by my reckoning :)

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
They would get a C+/B- from me.

The good:
- The backs are really humming and I think we have found the long term combinations out there. They look deadly in attack.
- Pocock and Elsom are world class in the back row. All they need now is an eight to provide the carry-up grunt and the hurt in defence. Fortunately, there is a guy coming back next season who might be able to help there.
- The line out is very solid and we rarely surrender our own ball, even to the Boks. Sharpe leads them very well.
- Stephen Moore has been very good in the back half of the season, in the set pieces and around the paddock. He forms a great 1-2 punch with Taf
- There is an emerging maturity in the team, that we saw last night, last weekend and a few weeks ago against the Blacks. That will help next year when the tight games will be there to be won.
- Deans been using the bench more and more intelligently. I can't really fault how he's done it on the EOYT.
- We've finished the season better than we started, which is normally a good sign. After a scratchy June and a couple of poor performances against NZ, we gradually got better. To win 4 out of 5 on the EOYT is OK in my book.

The Bad:
- The Scrum: we have regressed in 12 months. Plenty has been said about this and I'll not add to it.
- The pack goes missing in open play too much for my liking. We need some hardness in the ball carrying and defence departments. Horwill and Palu should help there.
- QC (Quade Cooper)'s defence is still a concern, as is his temperament under pressure.
- Genia's speed around the park was a concern, as was Burgo's passing. Combine the best bits of both of them and we have a great halfback, but they need to lift.
- We allow too much offloaded ball in the tackle, this comes from not driving the opposition back in the tackle. Need to sort that out too.

So overall, plenty to work on, but some progress has been made.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
I'm not sure that we could of won this game. England were damn good that night.

They were solid. Yet if we had kicked our penalties and someone had made some attempt to tackle Ashton, we would have been there or thereabouts.

One of the differences between these wallabies and the all blacks or other champion teams is that the latter play through the tough passages where things aren't quite going right.

They make errors, sure, but they cover them up with commitment and an extra effort to stop those errors being converted, and then push on when they get a roll on. The Wobs did that this morning. When Alexander was binned it looked bleak, but they toughened up and then blossomed. If they learn to keep doing it they will be a champion team.

Maybe they could have done that at 46 minutes at Twickenham. But they backed up Genia's poor decision to snipe at the line and the refs fuck up with truly horrible defence that let Ashton run the length of the field untouched.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Yeah, Mr Mouse, you are right - Mitchell has been a good finisher for a while, but I guess he is becoming more "solid", and maybe more than just a good finisher.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Gnostic I say this with no sarcasm, and no insult intended but I see a pass from you as a high credit/distinction from many markers

I wish my Uni lecturers had taken that view all those years ago.

But I didn't give them a pass Mousey. A neutral in line with their results, but mainly due to the quality of the play in those game they didn't turn up.

As for the one out runner stuff it is really a hang over from the Macqueen era of constant recycle. It is fine for a quick ball set up and to take out a specific defender such as McCaw et al but when that is all that you see and when those collisions are lost more often than not it is a very limiting factor for the team.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I agree with the scorecard from Cyclo, MM and others... and would add that it looks like we've found a nice balance in the back line. It's going to be tough for Diggers to even get back in and that's a very, very nice problem to have.

I'm pumped for Cliffy to come back.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
gone backwards. D-. Two get out of Jail wins doesnt mean a thing. Look at England last year and this year. We havn't done any better.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Last year we struggled to score, this year we scored plenty.

Last year our scrum was OK, this season it was average

Last year our defense was strong, this year average etc etc

So to me we have got better in parts and gone backwards in others

but our forwards are still soft cocks

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Last year we struggled to score, this year we scored plenty.

Last year our scrum was OK, this season it was average

Last year our defense was strong, this year average etc etc

So to me we have got better in parts and gone backwards in others

but our forwards are still soft cocks

Average? It was probably average in the beginning of the year and is now either an embarrassment or a source of merriment depending on whether you support the Wallabies or their opposition.

Backline is equalled only by the All Blacks but some of the forwards need heart transplants. TPN and Palu back full-time will help.

Definite RWC contenders.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Good post earlier Gnostic. Regarding what we have to work on: there is always a list of things, but if we concentrate on 3 of the things you mentioned, the others will seem less important.

Negatives:-
1. Scrum

2. Forward drive

7. Strength and conditioning

And before the last two matches I would have added goal-kicking.

There was a bit of hanging back in Paris and I thought here we go again, but they knuckled down and unless I'm mistaken I saw a bit of counter-rucking that turned the ball over. But Bruce R is right when he talks about our strength being found wanting once contact has been made, both man on man, and unit against unit. Technique at the points of collisions can only take you so far; we need our guys stronger.

The backs have been a bit ragged on tour and even against the French but the things I liked were:

1. Judgement when to have a go.

2. Straightening the attack so that one defender (the touchline) is taken out of play.

3. The accurate long passing, especially from Cooper.

4. The timing of the passing: not too late so a pass is pushed, nor too early to allow defenders to drift over.

This backline on attack is the best we have seen for some time, though it has been only average at best over the year on defence. The rush defence against France worked a treat and though it is only one mode of defence, and apt against big attackers before they get going, the execution was good.

If have mentioned something before and now the season is over for 2010, it bears repeating. The injury to Rob Horne meant that AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) had to play 13 and that Beale came into the starting team at 15. Sorry Rob, but talk about serendipity: AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) shines in his favourite position and KB (Kurtley Beale) gets an international mention by the IRB at fullback.

Status
Not open for further replies.