• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2011 Rnd 1 Reds v Force

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Sorry Force Supporters as I know you have another trial. Well Reds supporter’s trials are over and now onto the big stuff.
This would be my match day 22

1/ Daley
2/ Fainga'a
3/ Slipper
4/ Horwill
5/ Van
6/ Samo
7/ Quirk
8/ Higgers
9/ Genia
10/ Cooper
11/ Davies
12/ Fainga'a
13/ Chambers
14/ Ioane
15/ Lucas (Something seems to be up with Hynes)

16/ Hanson
17/ Holmes
18/ Shepherdson
19/ Simmons
20/ Houston
21/ Prior
22/ Harris

I want to see the Reds not try and run the Force pack off their feet but just physically smash them. I would be happy for the Reds to play a bit of a field position in the first half put the ball in the crowd and make the Force face our lineout. Unleash the backs more in the second half. At the 50th minute replace the entire front row; bring on Simmons to keep the physicality going. I think we have the physical presence and the pace to keep up with Pocock and keep him honest. I want the 5-2 split on the bench to inject fresh aggression into the game.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
just posted similar on the Reds thread, but here's a good place.

anyway, our trials are done. What do we reckon the team will be for the first match of the round v the Force on my wife's birthday at 4.40pm. A Sunday game.

Now not many of us have actually seen any trials, so it will be guess work, and 3rd hand info, but let's have a crack.

15 Peter Hynes
14 Rod Davies
13 Will Chambers
12 Anthony Fainga'a
11 Digby Ioane
10 Quade Cooper
9 Will Genia
8 Scott Higginbotham
7 Beau Robinson
6 James Horwill
5 Rob Simmons
4 Van Humphries
3 James Slipper
2 Saia Fainga'a
1 Ben Daley

16 James Hanson
17 Greg Holmes
18 Radike Samo
19 Ed Quirk
20 Ben Lucas
21 Ben Tapuia
22 Michael Harris

Now the biggest concern for me is Hynes and whether he's ready. If he's out, I suspect Lucas will start straight at 15. If this happens, then I wonder if Ian Prior will get a call up to the squad or perhaps Luke Morahan just comes onto the bench, with Lucas still able to cover scrumhalf.

In the pack, assuming Fainga'a is fit, the big question revolves around the backrow. Do we try to match the Force's mobility by playing Quirk or Schatz (if fit) on the side, with Kev in at lock. Or do we back the above pack's ability to get around the field, in conjuncture with the work our centres do at the ruck, and with a pretty mobile front row, to muscle the Force pack off the park?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I guess, let's have a go at the Force team to compare.

15 James O'Connor (in lieu of Cameron Shepherd?)
14 David Smith
13 Mitch Inman
12 Gene Fairbanks
11 Nick Cummins
10 Willie Ripia
9 Brett Sheehan
8 Richard Brown
7 David Pocock [c]
6 Matt Hodgson
5 Sam Wykes (Hocking not fit?)
4 Ben McCalman
3 Tim Fairbrother
2 Nathan Charles
1 Pek Cowan

16 Ben Whittaker
17 Matt Dunning
18 Tom Hockings (if fit?, otherwise Phoenix Battye)
19 Tevita Metuisela
20 James Stannard
21 Mark Bartholomeauz (if fit?, otherwise Rory Sidey)
22 Alfi Mafi

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
I want to see us roll those c**ts!

For me, Id like to see a Force team of:

1. Pek Cowan
2. Nathan Charles
3. Tim Fairbrother
4. Tom Hocking
5. Sam Wykes
6. Matt Hodgson
7. David Pocock
8. Ben McCalman
9. Brett Sheehan
10. Willie Ripia
11. Nick Cummins
12. James O'Connor
13. Mitch Inman
14. David Smith
15. Cameron Shepherd

16. Ben Whittaker
17. Matt Dunning
18. Phoenix Battye
19. Richard Brown
20. James Stannard
21. Gene Fairbanks
22. Alfi Mafi

But I could see OConnor going to fullback, Cummins to the bench, Shep to the wing and Fairbanks to 12.
I could also see McCalman going to lock, Brown to 8 and Wykes to the bench. But that will kill out lineout I feel.

Edit: What was the word on Hocking? I thought it was a minor niggle?
And whats happening with Shep. I know he didnt play the trial, but was that to do with him being found guilt of DUI or fitness.

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
I hope so.
I dont know much about Hocking's injury. like I said, thought it was a niggle but cant confirm that.
And no idea what is happening to shep.

bring back rucking

Fred Wood (13)
Sorry Force Supporters as I know you have another trial. Well Reds supporter’s trials are over and now onto the big stuff.
This would be my match day 22

1/ Daley
2/ Fainga'a
3/ Slipper
4/ Horwill
5/ Van
6/ Samo
7/ Quirk
8/ Higgers
9/ Genia
10/ Cooper
11/ Davies
12/ Fainga'a
13/ Chambers
14/ Ioane
15/ Lucas (Something seems to be up with Hynes)

16/ Hanson
17/ Holmes
18/ Shepherdson
19/ Simmons
20/ Houston
21/ Prior
22/ Harris

I want to see the Reds not try and run the Force pack off their feet but just physically smash them. I would be happy for the Reds to play a bit of a field position in the first half put the ball in the crowd and make the Force face our lineout. Unleash the backs more in the second half. At the 50th minute replace the entire front row; bring on Simmons to keep the physicality going. I think we have the physical presence and the pace to keep up with Pocock and keep him honest. I want the 5-2 split on the bench to inject fresh aggression into the game.

Good side, good tactics keeping the heat on... (presume simmons on for van at 50?)... big year for slipper.... dont know much about your 7, but it appears as though you only need someone to absolutely step up and take that jersey this year and you are the real deal... Hynes fairly critical at 15 though... the guy has played alot of rugby

(This reminds me how much i liked watching the reds last year)

L

Lachlan

Good side, good tactics keeping the heat on... (presume simmons on for van at 50?)... big year for slipper.... dont know much about your 7, but it appears as though you only need someone to absolutely step up and take that jersey this year and you are the real deal... Hynes fairly critical at 15 though... the guy has played alot of rugby

(This reminds me how much i liked watching the reds last year)

Quirk is a very talented backrower. Plenty of size and aggression and has the ability to absolutely steam roll a defender and break the line as he showed in his brief appearances last year. Will make an excellent 6/8 in time but will do nicely at 7 until Liam Gill (who is the real deal at Openside and a couple years younger) finds his feet at Super level.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
That Force team you proposed looks half decent and I would give it half a chance if Sharpe was playing. But he won't be, and I feel the scars of last years visit to Suncorp will be still fresh in the minds of these Force players.

I'm expecting a big crowd of 30,000 for this one hopefully, and the Reds to come out with all guns fucking blazing.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
1. Daley
2. Fainga'a
3. Slipper
4. Horwill
5. Simmons
6. Samo
7. Robinson
8. Higgers
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Diggers
12. Fainga'a
13. Chambers
14. Davies
15. Hynes

16. Hanson
17. Holmes
18. Humphries
19. Schatz/Quirk
20. Lucas
21. Harris
22. Morahan

I still like the look of Robinson at 7. After 50-60 you can bring on one of the young guys.

Really hope Hynes is good to go.

Think Simmons needs to start, especially early on. He can be rotated with the others.

Houston is interesting as I was happy with him last year but there is so much competition for spots that he could struggle to make the 22. This has a lot to do with the fact that Samo seems to be going well in the trials.

bring back rucking

Fred Wood (13)
1. Daley
2. Fainga'a
3. Slipper
4. Horwill
5. Simmons
6. Samo
7. Robinson
8. Higgers
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Diggers
12. Fainga'a
13. Chambers
14. Davies
15. Hynes

16. Hanson
17. Holmes
18. Humphries
19. Schatz/Quirk
20. Lucas
21. Harris
22. Morahan

I still like the look of Robinson at 7. After 50-60 you can bring on one of the young guys.

Really hope Hynes is good to go.

Think Simmons needs to start, especially early on. He can be rotated with the others.

Houston is interesting as I was happy with him last year but there is so much competition for spots that he could struggle to make the 22. This has a lot to do with the fact that Samo seems to be going well in the trials.

Surely you need to start with Van for the pure chat factor?... especially given that the force will most likely have fairly green blokes at 4&5... chatting after coming from the bench loses all its credibility... If i was link i would tell Van exactly how long he has on the park so he can manage that... maybe even play around with blood bins... All that said, I am a big fan of Simmons... nice luxury to have

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I just think Van will need a rest after giving the Pre game speech to the team.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
I think Van will start with Simmons. Horwill will be at 6. Looks like Link is persisting with his experiment from last year that got cut short, and so far, by all reports it has been working. Samo is perfect for the bench with lock and flanker coverage. I reckon the game plan will be to kick long and contest lineouts all day long. At the same time, the Force will be trying to retain the ball I should think.

The team Noddy put forward above is probably what I expect to run out on the 20th.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I would be happy for Simmons to come on for Samo and shift Horwill out to blindside. I would like Simmons to start becoming the lineout caller and being on the field at the same time as Van will be a good apprentiship.

O

OLDDOG

I would be happy for Simmons to come on for Samo and shift Horwill out to blindside. I would like Simmons to start becoming the lineout caller and being on the field at the same time as Van will be a good apprentiship.

I suspect simmo will become one of australia's lineout kings. I reckon he has to start. I also reckon the force will start the match strong, (if they keep the ball that is), but that the reds will effin tear em up........by 20 to 30 plus points, dangle dangle :)

T

TOCC

Sharpe hasnt been rule out of rd1 yet, still a chance he could play

red army

Bob McCowan (2)
My 22 after watching the game in Darwin:

1. Daley
2. Fainga'a
3. Slipper
4. Van
5. Horwill
6. Higgerz
7. Quirk
8. Houston
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Ioane
12. A. Fainga'a
13. Chambers
14. Davies
15. Hynes (heard he had family matters to attend to otherwise would've playe in Darwin)

16. Hanson
17. Holmes
18. Simmo
19. Schatz
20. Lucas
21. Harris
22. Toua

Pretty similar to what everyone else is posting but from what I've heard about the 2 trials toua has been playing better than morahan and in my opinion the better fullback option if hynesy goes down during the game.

T

TheTruth

1. Daley
2. Fainga'a
3. Slipper
4. Van
5. Horwill
6. Higgerz
7. Quirk
8. Houston
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Ioane
12. A. Fainga'a
13. Chambers
14. Davies
15. Hynes (heard he had family matters to attend to otherwise would've playe in Darwin)

16. Hanson
17. Holmes
18. Simmo
19. Schatz
20. Lucas
21. Harris
22. Toua

Pretty similar to what everyone else is posting but from what I've heard about the 2 trials toua has been playing better than morahan and in my opinion the better fullback option if hynesy goes down during the game.

Toua and schatzy may suprise - at 15 and 8 respectively - looks a strong team across the park - great to see Toua performing so well this year after an aweful run of injuries in years past

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)

1. Daley
2. Fainga'a
3. Slipper
4. Van
5. Horwill
6. Higgerz
7. Quirk
8. Houston
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Ioane
12. A. Fainga'a
13. Chambers
14. Davies

16. Hanson
17. Holmes
18. Simmo
19. Schatz
20. Lucas
21. Harris
22. Toua

Yes birth of his first child but fit for round 1

Status
Not open for further replies.