• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2012 6 Nations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
I haven't really watched the 6 nations since I lived in England in 2005 but this year I'm going to try and watch all the games. The comp starts in about 2 weeks, what are your predictions? what teams/individuals do you think I should watch out for?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
France should win because they play Ireland and England at home. Wales have no chance without Luke Charteris and Alun Wyn Jones, Roberts is also suffering from injury and will miss a few whilst there's doubt over Priestland and Lydiate.

I think the Scots can get over England at Murrayfield in the opening round. England have some rebuilding to do and most of their players aren't in good form. Ireland will go close but the match in France will be the decider and I'll give France the edge here only because they're at home and almost impossible knock over there.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Also think France are the favourites this year. Wales have been hit by injury and players going off the boil in the last few weeks, but a win in Dublin on the opening weekend could spark them back into form. Ireland are going pretty much with their WC squad. England are completely rebuilding. Scotland will be up for it againist England. Italy will be very confident after the WC.

Players to look out for imo would be McFadden (Ireland) filing in for BoD at 13. Also Peter O'Mahony and Simon Zebo if they are promoted from the wider training squad. For France Fofana in the centre is a very exciting prospect and hopefully he gets a run out in at least one game. England have a mixed bag of youngsters and it's hard to say who to watch out for.

S

spooony

Scotland with their up and under play got a decent pack of forwards and should not be written off. Jim Hamilton, Richie Gray, David Denton, Ross Ford and Euan Murray are as big and powerful as anyone in the championship, can take England on up front

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Scots must be clear favourites to beat England in Murrayfield, but never underestimate a team with seemingly nothing to lose like England. Wales have looked tired all season in RB12 and HEC but week in Spala could be the making of them again just cannot understand why they want to bring in the disruptive presence that is Chavin Henson, plus looks like Gethin Jenkins is injured and Adam Jones has started to pick up alot of knocks. Ireland are in a very good place with the top two club teams in europe and Ulster though to HEC qfs, but as we have to go to Paris would be surprised if we can win the GS. Should actually be a very good tournament IMO.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_union/16728362.stm

Ireland coach Declan Kidney is predicting a ferociously contested Six Nations championship which is unlikely to produce a Grand Slam winner.
The Irish have been installed as fourth favourites to win the championship, behind France, Wales and England.
"I'm not a regular reader of the odds but I imagine they're tight because it's as tight a championship as it's ever been," said Kidney.
"Whoever comes out of the traps running will have a good tournament."

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So the French players will be released back to their clubs this weekend for the Top 14. That's madness.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
The key matches for both Wales and Ireland, before they meet France, will be when they meet each other in Rd.1.

Can't wait for this game. Wales have had bad news in that 10. Priestland is out for the opening round, and 1. Jenkins will be absent longer than that. 6. Lydiate could miss Rd.1 also. Hook, who is really a centre or fullback in my book; for he loves the run, will probably wear Priestland's 10. jersey.

Not counting players who have been out the whole season, Ireland have fewer crocks who matter. Unkindly, the injury to lock Cullen is seen as a plus.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I can't see how Wales will get close. No Genkins, no Charteris, no Alun-Wyn Jones, likely no Lydiate. That's 4 starters from the game against Ireland. Ireland's pack should be at full strength and most of them are all in excellent club form whilst the Welsh clubs have stalled a bit. The Welsh pack will be right up against it. Then there's no Roberts who was so destructive in that Irish game, and maybe no Priestland either who without him Wales haven't actually shown much... All this in Dublin with the Irish looking to avenge their WC defeat.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Roberts should be fit to play. Forgot about AWJ and Charteris but at least new guy Evans looked good against Oz, and should go OK with Davies in the 2nd row. Not good to lose that experience though, is it? Yeah, Wales are going to do it tough.

Jenkins is a huge loss as he is probably the ranking LHP in the world at the minute - for his scrum work, open play and even poaching the ball at the ruck.

Dai bando

Charlie Fox (21)
As much as I hate to say it I cant see Wales coming in the top 3, hope I'm wronge, but too many injuries has as been pointed out, also Adam jones is carrying too many little knocks that dont seem to go away.
Hook at 10 would be a mistake, as for bringing Henson back that beggars belief.
The same will apply this year as many other years brave performances that just dont come up to the mark.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Dai bando

Wales, like the other Celt nations, and Oz for that matter, doesn't have a lot of depth and they're in the same situation now as Oz were when we played you the last time with 8 first pick players out. We struggled until you lost a player with a yellow card. Mind you 2 of the guys missing from the Wallabies had been out so long that it was hard to say who our best 15 players were.

There was a positive in missing players in the short tour against the Barbarians and Wales: some players stepped up or showed they could play other positions; some didn't, and that was handy to know too.

Wales will find out similar things that will benefit them in the long run, and short term results may be better than you think.

Wales main problem against Ireland may be the scrum with 1. Jenkins out and 3. Jones, poorly. Though it's hard for an Aussie to say this with a straight face: your propping depth is very thin.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
The make up of the Welsh 2nd row will also be affect the scrum with both Wyn Jones and Charteris out and talk of playing a backrow in the 2nd row. The opening game in a 6Ns is always important but I think for both Wales and Ireland it's doubly so. I think the winner of this one will be France's main rivals. POC is already firing up the Irish squad to make amends for our poor showing against Wales in the WC QF. I'm really looking forward to this one and I'm glad I have tickets for it.

Dai,

I was amazed at the Henson getting back in too. The WC squad sent out a message that Wales were going with youth and moving on. Bringing Henson back brings the spotlight on off-field matters again. One good thing for you is that he wont be around for the whole 6Ns as he's bound to pick up an injury. But in fairness when he's fully fit anf firing he's still an impressive sight on the rugby field, just never happened often enough.

On another 6Ns note I found it amusing that England are to be spoken to by a soccer player with regards to their off-field behaviour. Just shows how low they sunk during the WC that a soccer player now has the moral high ground. Although to be fair Phil Neville is as clean cut as they come.

Lancaster's reign is already looking a bit like Brian Ashton's. Plenty of good ideas will be implemented and lots of new guys blooded but no matter what he does there's someone else in the wings they have lined up to take over.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Agree: Ashton was treated poorly and they got what they deserved: a rugby great with no coaching or managerial experience who favoured players in his own image.

The make up of the Welsh 2nd row will also affect the scrum with both Wyn Jones and Charteris out and talk of playing a backrow in the 2nd row.

Ryan Jones has filled that role before, and since Faletau will be the no. 8 for the next 10 years but for injuries, he could be playing in the 2nd row on the LH side, with Davies on the other and Evans on the bench.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Roberts should be fit to play. Forgot about AWJ and Charteris but at least new guy Evans looked good against Oz, and should go OK with Davies in the 2nd row. Not good to lose that experience though, is it? Yeah, Wales are going to do it tough.

Jenkins is a huge loss as he is probably the ranking LHP in the world at the minute - for his scrum work, open play and even poaching the ball at the ruck.
Would say he is alright in the loose but no great shakes at scrumtime IMHO. Adam Jones niggling injuries would be a bit more of an issue for Welsh scrum. Ireland have massive scrum issues if Ross gets injured, next up Tight head would seem to be Archer (starting for Wolfhounds tomorrow against Saxons) who has only started about a dozen first class games and has had his arse handed to him on a plate on more than one occasion. Worrying about the Irish and Munster tight head situation is the reason I cite for my receding hairline. Sounds like Roberts should be fit and the Welsh have called up Stephen 'the drop goal bottler' Jones.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
The make up of the Welsh 2nd row will also be affect the scrum with both Wyn Jones and Charteris out and talk of playing a backrow in the 2nd row. The opening game in a 6Ns is always important but I think for both Wales and Ireland it's doubly so. I think the winner of this one will be France's main rivals. POC is already firing up the Irish squad to make amends for our poor showing against Wales in the WC QF. I'm really looking forward to this one and I'm glad I have tickets for it.

Dai,

I was amazed at the Henson getting back in too. The WC squad sent out a message that Wales were going with youth and moving on. Bringing Henson back brings the spotlight on off-field matters again. One good thing for you is that he wont be around for the whole 6Ns as he's bound to pick up an injury. But in fairness when he's fully fit anf firing he's still an impressive sight on the rugby field, just never happened often enough.

On another 6Ns note I found it amusing that England are to be spoken to by a soccer player with regards to their off-field behaviour. Just shows how low they sunk during the WC that a soccer player now has the moral high ground. Although to be fair Phil Neville is as clean cut as they come.

Lancaster's reign is already looking a bit like Brian Ashton's. Plenty of good ideas will be implemented and lots of new guys blooded but no matter what he does there's someone else in the wings they have lined up to take over.
Nothing sums up the Henson sideshow better than his call up being leaked the day before the squad was announced. Agree with comment about Lancaster, RFU are such star fuckers they can't have a rugby man through and through they have to go for a name.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
So the French players will be released back to their clubs this weekend for the Top 14. That's madness.
And next year, Adam Jones will be in france and Gethin Jenkins possibly. Wonder who else will be off. Cardiff Blue said the Welsh 87 RWC team was torn apart by league poaching, this lot look like they could all be off to France.

Status
Not open for further replies.