• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2012 6 Nations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Yes Lee it was the 2001 6Ns and here in Ireland it's viewed as the slam that got away.
That view would not be as disappointed as how the England lads viewed it. They were formally awarded the 6N trophy after the game but it was like they were all at a funeral.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
England have confirmed that Chris Robshaw will be captain for the rest of the 6Ns. Strange decision given that he's still wouldn't be an automatic pick at 7. I'm sure there's a few guys who were hoping for the captaincy to be rotated their way also.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Many of the rugby pundits in England were deploring the fact that England didn't have a fetcher at the RWC - not that they've had one for years. By ensconcing Robshaw as captain he becomes protected from being dropped. Since Robshaw is a notter, England will continue not having a fetcher.

It need not be a bad thing if other forwards are proactive at the point of contact as Wales are; just saying.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
True Lee, but proactive isn't a word normally associated with the English team in recent years. Other than that I agree the 7 doesn't necessarily have to be the fetcher. For years BoD has been one of the main fetchers for Ireland while the back row have rotated the responsibility

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
England team to play Wales:

England team to face Wales: 15 Ben Foden (Northampton Saints), 14 Chris Ashton (Northampton Saints), 13 Manusamoa Tuilagi (Leicester Tigers), 12 Brad Barritt (Saracens), 11 David Strettle (Saracens); 10 Owen Farrell (Saracens), 9 Lee Dickson (Northampton Saints). 1 Alex Corbisiero (London Irish), 2 Dylan Hartley (Northampton Saints), 3 Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers), 4 Mouritz Botha (Saracens), 5 Geoff Parling (Leicester Tigers), 6 Tom Croft (Leicester Tigers), 7 Chris Robshaw (Harlequins, capt), 8 Ben Morgan (Scarlets)

Replacements: 16 Rob Webber (London Wasps), 17 Matt Stevens (Saracens), 18 Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints), 19 Phil Dowson (Northampton Saints), 20 Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers), 21 Toby Flood (Leicester Tigers), 22 Mike Brown (Harlequins)

The big news in England is Tuilagi making his first start of this years 6Ns but I think Ben Morgan starting could also have a big impact on the game.

Ben Youngs being dropped in no surprise give how poor his form has been. He should count himself lucky to have made the bench.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
The big news in England is Tuilagi making his first start of this years 6Ns but I think Ben Morgan starting could also have a big impact on the game.

Ben Youngs being dropped in no surprise give how poor his form has been. He should count himself lucky to have made the bench.

You are right about Morgan. I think he is going to be the long time England 8. I see that Parling is getting a shot at starting. Good player but he is not Lawes, who looked pretty healthy a week or two ago and ready to start. Is Palmer dropped or injured?

It will be interesting to see how Farrell goes at 10. I reckon he needs to threaten the line a bit more otherwise he can't deceive very well and defenders scuttle sideways like crabs at the beach.

Agree about Youngs - but I'll back him to come back. He's a grand player.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Palmer was dropped rather than injured.

I think Youngs will be back too but if I were an England fan it wouldn't inspire me with confidence to see him running on at a crucial time. Still he has the talent to turn it around but sometimes to do that means a break from trying to force it. But if he manages to sneak the winning try it could spark the rest of his season.

In the English press Farrell has been getting comparisons to Wilkinson. Certainly no Dan Carter in terms of threat with ball in hand but then who is apart from the man himself. The opportunity will be there for England to be more expansive against Wales but will Farrell have instructions to try and kick Wales off the picth.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
England have picked the right team IMHO apart from Lawes at 6 instead of the hopeless shower of invisible shite that is Croft. Ireland, crap as we were, and scotland have shown England how to beat Wales with structure and set piece dominance. Corbisiero has been going well so will be interesting to see how he gets on against Adam Jones.
I am in the almost unique position of wanting England to win a game of rugby, not for the sake of Ireland's chances although that would be an added bonus. I vowed after the filth that came out of Wales over Warburton's correct dismissal, that I would not be supporting Wales again; I might put a period to my boycott in time but as the leader of the Welsh parish council has still not apologised for his slander of Alain Rolland it won't be for a while yet. Feels wierd writing this but here goes, Gwan England.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
That is a very nice looking England team. Will be even stronger as soon as Lawes is able to start. Can't say I rate Parling much but apparently has been brought in to fix the lineout. The backline should score more tries with Barritt and 12 and Tuilagi at 13. Can't wait for the Roberts and Barritt collisions.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
paddy

You are not the only one who thought the Warburton card in the RWC was righteous and the protests from Wales, and to be fair, other folks as well, were ill-founded. The fact that the decision ruined the match as a contest does not mean the decision was wrong. The poor decision came from the estimable Warburton, who made a mistake.

I think that Rolland's decision was spot on, I also think that his bravery cost him any chance of getting the RWC Final gig again.

After he saw the footage Warburton, to his great credit, also said the decision was correct.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
I am in the almost unique position of wanting England to win a game of rugby, not for the sake of Ireland's chances although that would be an added bonus. I vowed after the filth that came out of Wales over Warburton's correct dismissal, that I would not be supporting Wales again; I might put a period to my boycott in time but as the leader of the Welsh parish council has still not apologised for his slander of Alain Rolland it won't be for a while yet. Feels wierd writing this but here goes, Gwan England.

Nothing can justify supporting the poms.

Have a good look at yourself

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Yea, Warburton has accepted the card he was given as a fair decision. Nothing left to hold against Wales, South Africans are the only ones who seem to have not gotten over the world cup yet.

So I'll be going for Wales anyway. George North in particular is in good form.

S

spooony

I hope Wales mangles them.

This was the England line up last year when they beat Wales 26-19 at the Millennium stadium thanks to two Chris Ashton tries.

15: Ben Foden, 14: Chris Ashton, 13: Mike Tindall (captain), 12: Shontayne Hape, 11: Mark Cueto, 10: Toby Flood, 9: Ben Youngs; 1: Andrew Sheridan, 2: Dylan Hartley, 3: Dan Cole, 4: Louis Deacon, 5: Tom Palmer, 6: Tom Wood, 7: James Haskell, 8: Nick Easter.
Replacements: 16: Steve Thompson, 17: David Wilson, 18: Simon Shaw, 19: Joe Worsley, 20: Danny Care, 21: Jonny Wilkinson, 22: Matt Banahan.

It is funny how much can change in a year. Mistake Wales made last year is that they kept running laterally, not making enough forward bursts over the gainline. This is a more mature side and they must just play their natural game.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Wales played well at the RWC and looked good in the 6N, but it will not compare to how they will perform in the next couple of years as the lads mature.

Hopefully the Wallabies will be on the same kind of path with their young side though our depth is thin.

S

spooony

It is thin but you look very well after the ones you got. That has always been the Wallaby success story I think.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
paddy

You are not the only one who thought the Warburton card in the RWC was righteous and the protests from Wales, and to be fair, other folks as well, were ill-founded. The fact that the decision ruined the match as a contest does not mean the decision was wrong. The poor decision came from the estimable Warburton, who made a mistake.

I think that Rolland's decision was spot on, I also think that his bravery cost him any chance of getting the RWC Final gig again.

After he saw the footage Warburton, to his great credit, also said the decision was correct.
As I said at the time, Warburton enhanced his reputation with his mature reaction to the situation. He kept silent and then when the dust settled he calmly acknowledged that it was a red card offence. I wish him all the best, Hope he manages to start tomorrow although Tipuric has been doing well in his abscence. I do think that the England team selected have a chance of beating Wales. Walsh as ref will help because the SH refs tend to be a lot stricter on the defensive line being offside which the Welsh were with Poite reffing the scots game. Also think that Welsh set piece is creaky to say the least, hair bear is not the player he was IMO and the lineout has been exposed in the first 2 games. Another factor, especially in Twickers, could be the Welsh morale with the welsh boys fleeing the welsh franchises like fleas off a dead cat to chase money in France and England. Welsh rugby outside of the national team is in complete meltdown.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
You are right about Morgan. I think he is going to be the long time England 8. I see that Parling is getting a shot at starting. Good player but he is not Lawes, who looked pretty healthy a week or two ago and ready to start. Is Palmer dropped or injured?

It will be interesting to see how Farrell goes at 10. I reckon he needs to threaten the line a bit more otherwise he can't deceive very well and defenders scuttle sideways like crabs at the beach.

Agree about Youngs - but I'll back him to come back. He's a grand player.

Morgan had a choice of playing either for Wales or England when both expressed interest in him, he played for Wales u20s if I recall correctly and Wales kicked up a big stink when he switched allegiance to England for this year's 6 Nations...who can blame him, given the lack of depth in England's back row compared to the Welsh! Also there's bigger money to be made when he switches to England club rugby after his contract with Scarlets ends.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Here's the Wales 22 for the England game:

Wales : 15-Leigh Halfpenny, 14-Alex Cuthbert, 13-Jonathan Davies, 12-Jamie Roberts, 11-George North, 10-Rhys Priestland, 9-Mike Phillips; 1-Gethin Jenkins, 2-Ken Owens, 3-Adam Jones, 4-Alun Wyn Jones, 5-Ian Evans, 6-Dan Lydiate, 7-Sam Warburton, 8-Toby Faletau.

Replacements: 16-Richard Hibbard, 17-Paul James, 18-Ryan Jones, 19-Justin Tipuric, 20-Lloyd Williams, 21-Stephen Jones, 22-Scott Williams.

Ireland v Italy:

Ireland : 15-Kearney, 14-Bowe, 13-Earls, 12-D'Arcy, 11-Trimble, 10-Sexton, 9-Murray; 1-Healy, 2-Best, 3-Ross, 4-O'Callaghan, 5-O'Connell (c), 6-Ferris, 7-O'Brien, 8-Heaslip.

Replacements: 16-Cronin, 17-Court, 18-Ryan, 19-O'Mahony, 20-Reddan, 21-O'Gara, 22-McFadden.

Italy : 15-Masi, 14-Venditti, 13-Benvenuti, 12-Sgarbi, 11-McLean, 10-Botes, 9-Gori; 1-Rizzo, 2-Ghiraldini, 3-Cittadini, 4-Geldenhuys, 5-Bortolami, 6-Zanni, 7-Barbieri, 8-Parisse (c).

Replacements: 16-D'Apice, 17-Staibano, 18-Pavanello, 19-Favaro, 20-Semenzato, 21-Burton, 22-Canale.

Scotland v France:

Scotland : 15-Stuart Hogg, 14-Rory Lamont, 13-Sean Lamont, 12-Graeme Morrison, 11-Lee Jones, 10-Greig Laidlaw, 9-Mike Blair; 1-Allan Jacobsen, 2-Ross Ford (captain), 3-Geoff Cross, 4-Richie Gray, 5-Jim Hamilton, 6-John Barclay, 7-Ross Rennie, 8-David Denton.

Replacements: 16-Scott Lawson, 17-Ed Kalman, 18-Alastair Kellock, 19-Richie Vernon, 20-Chris Cusiter, 21-Duncan Weir, 22-Nick De Luca.

France : 15-Maxime Medard, 14-Vincent Clerc, 13-Aurelien Rougerie, 12-Wesley Fofana, 11-Julien Malzieu, 10-François Trinh-Duc, 9-Morgan Parra;1-Jean-Baptiste Poux, 2-Dimitri Szarzewski, 3-Nicolas Mas, 4-Pascal Pape, 5-Yoann Maestri, 6-Thierry Dusautoir (captain), 7-Imanol Harinordoquy, 8-Louis Picamoles.

Replacements: 16-William Servat, 17-Vincent Debaty, 18-Lionel Nallet, 19-Julien Bonnaire, 20-Julien Dupuy, 21-Lionel Beauxis, 22-Maxime Mermoz.

Status
Not open for further replies.