• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2012 Australia vs New Zealand - 20 Oct

Status
Not open for further replies.

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
Definitely not a dead rubber.
If the All Blacks win both away games in the next couple of weeks, a win against Australia will equal the All Black
record for consecutive victories (17). They then face Scotland, Italy, Wales and England on their European tour.

There is every reason to for the players to want to potentially set a record for the All Blacks.

If they do happen to lose against either the pumas or South Africa, they will be obligated to beat the Wallabies in an attempt to appease the talkback hosts, newspaper columnists etc baying for blood.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
There is no such thing as a dead rubber in test match Rugby, every test is as important as the last, it's part of what separates us from other sports, especially soccer and it's "friendlies".
Remind me again the point of this test? That's right, the Bledisloe Cup. NZ have won 2 of the 3 tests, therefore retain it.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Remind me again the point of this test? That's right, the Bledisloe Cup. NZ have won 2 of the 3 tests, therefore retain it.

I think you need to be reminded that the point of any test is to beat your opposition. Sure, the Bledisloe might be gone for another year, but it's still a test match in it's own right. All players will be treating it as a must win, as they should..... Supporters & fans should show that the respect that it deserves. By calling it a dead rubber you are basically saying it's a meaningless game..... like a soccer "friendly"
Dead rubbers do not exist in Rugby! They belong in games like tennis.

If I were to find out that the players were treating this as a "dead rubber" I'd give up watching the game altogether!

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Nice to see everyone paying attention to the thread title, rather than the post content, regarding the introduction of the new laws or any other component of this test.

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
I don't see the new laws having much effect on the AB's, assuming Smith is 9. Piri may have to speed up a little.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Are the new laws actually coming in tho? Hansen might be keen but it still has to be IRB approved and Drew Mitchell said he thought it might well be a clusterfuck without the right prep time and if his opinion reflects that in the Wallaby setup then it won't happen

J

Jay

It was already gone when the Wallabies won the 3rd test in Wellington in 1990 too (the Phil Kearns BBQ invite match), but that win was still a big deal and set the Wallabies up for winning the RWC and Bledisloe in the next couple of years. Every match is important and it's never too late to set a marker.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Maybe it'll get more attention after the next two tests are out of the way Kronic, sorry, but headlines grab attention & the term "dead rubber" irks me to no end, it devalues what test matches are all about.

To get back on topic, I for one look forward to losing the pause in crouch, touch, pause, engage.... In my mind a pause doesn't need to be announced, it's just a silence between touch & engage. Hopefully this change will bring about less scrum penalties & less re-packed scrums.
The 5 second rule I'll reserve judgement on until I see it in play. Can any Kiwis enlighten us on how it's affecting games in the ITM Cup?
I agree with Hanson that this test should be played with these law changes if they are going to be implemented in the future.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Are the new laws actually coming in tho? Hansen might be keen but it still has to be IRB approved and Drew Mitchell said he thought it might well be a clusterfuck without the right prep time and if his opinion reflects that in the Wallaby setup then it won't happen
The new laws will be used when we tour the Northern Hemisphere. I vote for the earlier, the better.

Considering our scrum can be questionable at times, better to adjust to the new calls.

The 5 seconds at the back of the ruck should be fine.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Go for it. It is in the broader interest of test rugby to see these laws trialed at the top level and good opportunity with 1st and 2nd ranked teams facing off.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Penguin, I've watched a fair bit of ITM. The new laws appear to be working but it may be a different proposition at Test/Super rugby level.

The ITM games are very fast, end to end affairs bit I think that has more to do with the the attacking attitude of Kiwi teams coupled with some poor defensive patterns at times.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Selectors for Team Rehab have announced that they are in discussions with the ARU Salary Cap Auditor over the proposal for K Douglas (concussion) to be eligible for a run on position for Team Rehab for the Bledisloe Cup Match in Brisbane.

Who will be released from Team Rehab to rejoin the Men in Gold for the final Bledisloe Cup match at Suncorp in two weeks time?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Hopefully Moore and O'Connor are fit. If Kepu is fit wouldn't rush him yet as the incumbent 3 have been playing well. Barnes back into 15 or keep Harris? Don't really rate their actual games at the moment so I guess have a kick off...

Status
Not open for further replies.