• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championships 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

joeys2012

NSW 1s vs NSW 2s

The NSW 2s pack is stronger (not individually, but as a whole). Robertson and Murphy should have been picked over Pryor-Lees and Johnson. Carolan and Wilson was a 50/50 call, neither would have been a bad choice. O'Connor isn't much (if at all) better than Orr, who is still adapting to playing prop. In the second row, Rorke and Manukeu were the right choice, but Philip is a very talented player (particularly in the lineouts) and Lee-Warner continues to surprise. O'Donahue named second best #6, which is no mean feat with the way Dempsey has been playing. Whiteley was always a certainty, but Hemopo has really ensured he has to fight for his position. The 4 boys from St Joseph's (Carolan, Robertson, O'Donahue and Murphy) in the pack will mean a strong sense of unity, along with Lee-Warner who played alongside them for GPS for the past week. In the halves Natoli and Horwitz are a class above Ferris and Tulloch, however the latter play alongside each other at Kings. Moeroa and Stewart were picked without any real preparation. Inexperience (Tepai) and injuries (Jim) could be exploited. Milne is a centre, he should have been picked there, or not at all. Kellaway was the best choice at fullback, could be wasted on the wing. McIntyre at fullback, not too sure how that'll turn out. Long story short, The NSW 1s backline is a s*** fight. However IMO Creeley wasn't the ideal pick to join Foketi in the NSW 2s centres, especially considering last years centres were Foketi and Barclay (who was left out this year). Harry Jones, Charlie Taylor and John Porch will make a very strong back three. My prediction is for the NSW 2s to end the drought or at least finish a close runner up (has happened 3/6 times since the Queensland dominance started back in 2006).

stem

Stan Wickham (3)
Pardon my ignorance ........Who is Liam Creeley??? Apart from his being named in NSW II as No 12 ....I cannot even find his name in the program team lisst from Fridays trials.
Dis he play OR Is he also one of the chosen few selected on reputation???? OR selected out of position????
Atrocious cold windy conditions on Friday at Curagul so congratulations to all those young men who tried their best and despite the conditions put on some outstanding rugby to warm up the crowd.
Good Luck NSW I and II next week at View....definitely time to end the drought......GO THE BLUES !!

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
CSS side looks well represented by NSW and QLD, just the one ACT player and he's on the bench. #10 James from Nudgee will probably be exposed by some of the better fly-halves around but I'm sure he will hold his own and with Hayes outside him he will have a very quick midfield. May remember Kaele Bowen from IGS last year, his cousin Josh (I think, could even be his brother, I forget) is on the wing, very fast and agile much like Kaele plus has a very good boot to go with it.

Some others.
4. Preen - Played QLD 2 last year but really hasn't replicated his form so far this year and missed out on QLD all together after being selected in GPS 3. Selectors seem to think he has a fair bit of potential and continue to throw him lifelines, lets hope he takes it.
8. Oppenheimer - Missed QLD spot due to injury but has been the form #8 in the GPS trials. Very big build and has been a member of Churchie's 1st XV for 3 years now, he has the experience and strength to cause headaches but we'll have to see how the injury goes.
12. Hayes - As I said very quick, he's been around the GPS rep teams for a while and was a member of Ippy Grammar's strong team last year. Beaten to the QLD jersey by Tuttle and faces an uphill battle for higher rep spots but don't discount him just yet.

F

FactorFiction

Pardon my ignorance ....Who is Liam Creeley??? Apart from his being named in NSW II as No 12 ..I cannot even find his name in the program team lisst from Fridays trials.
Dis he play OR Is he also one of the chosen few selected on reputation???? OR selected out of position????

No conspiracy theory here Stem. Creeley was CAS 1s No 12 this year and last. Didn't play on Friday after a head knock Tuesday. Produces punishing tackles, fast, nimble, solidly consistent player and a well deserved selection. I'd rather him in my team than not. And before you wonder.....no, I'm not related to him, just rate him:) !!

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Anybody know the WA, Vic or ACT teams and can make any comments on the likely players to watch in them?

stem

Stan Wickham (3)
Thanks FF (Folau Fainga'a)....You confirm the program was not incorrect and Creeley did not play Friday as I suspected.
I also note he was VC of CAS on Tuesday.
Congratulations and well done to him on his performance Tuesday. His selection acknowledges his performance.
I am confounded FF (Folau Fainga'a) as to why my query/ignorance of Liam's history stimulates such a defensive response re conspiracy???. You may well wish to read/acknowledge my introduction /apology in my post
A number of players in NSW (2) have been selected on reputation.
IMO this is not conspiracy merely acknowledgement of class......CLASS shining on the trials paddock should also be acknowledged .
This is exactly what has transpired and I thank you for clarifying the situation.

Blogs

Frank Nicholson (4)
CSS side looks well represented by NSW and QLD, just the one ACT player and he's on the bench. #10 James from Nudgee will probably be exposed by some of the better fly-halves around but I'm sure he will hold his own and with Hayes outside him he will have a very quick midfield. May remember Kaele Bowen from IGS last year, his cousin Josh (I think, could even be his brother, I forget) is on the wing, very fast and agile much like Kaele plus has a very good boot to go with it.

Some others.
4. Preen - Played QLD 2 last year but really hasn't replicated his form so far this year and missed out on QLD all together after being selected in GPS 3. Selectors seem to think he has a fair bit of potential and continue to throw him lifelines, lets hope he takes it.
8. Oppenheimer - Missed QLD spot due to injury but has been the form #8 in the GPS trials. Very big build and has been a member of Churchie's 1st XV for 3 years now, he has the experience and strength to cause headaches but we'll have to see how the injury goes.
12. Hayes - As I said very quick, he's been around the GPS rep teams for a while and was a member of Ippy Grammar's strong team last year. Beaten to the QLD jersey by Tuttle and faces an uphill battle for higher rep spots but don't discount him just yet.

Blogs

Frank Nicholson (4)
Sorry must correct above statement Light, Hayes was not the 12 for IGS last year, Matt Gordon was and he was in GPS 2 behind Tuttle. Gordon missed Qld selection but got a start in CS at 13 not 12.

angrydog

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Anybody know the WA, Vic or ACT teams and can make any comments on the likely players to watch in them?

ACT side;

Andrew Robinson

St Mary Mackillop
Angus Howard

Riverina Anglican College
Beau Donovan

St Edmund’s College
Callum Smith

Marist College
Connall McInerney

Erindale College
Dean Parragalli

Marist College Canberra
Dougal McLaughlan

Marist College Canberra
Edward Garraway

Kildare Catholic College
Greg Fatiaki

St Mary Mackillop
Harry Burey

Mater Dei College
Harry Flemming

Canberra Grammar
Jack Stanford

Canberra Grammar
Jake Gordon

St Edmund’s College
Jamie Bodman

Marist College Canberra
Joe Powell

Marist College Canberra
Jordan Place

Marist College Canberra
Josh Brugmam

Daramalan College
Matt Narracott

Canberra Grammar
Mitchell Tye

St Francis Xavier College
Montana O’Neil

Marist College Canberra
Neori Nadruku

St Edmund’s College
Tom Staniforth

Canberra Grammar
Washington Underwood

Erindale College
Not sure if they will threaten much but I hear that Parragali and Narracott may be a chance for either the Aussie side of 'A' side. I cant say for sure though, so I could be way off.

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
NSW 1s vs NSW 2s

The NSW 2s pack is stronger (not individually, but as a whole). Robertson and Murphy should have been picked over Pryor-Lees and Johnson. Carolan and Wilson was a 50/50 call, neither would have been a bad choice. O'Connor isn't much (if at all) better than Orr, who is still adapting to playing prop. In the second row, Rorke and Manukeu were the right choice, but Philip is a very talented player (particularly in the lineouts) and Lee-Warner continues to surprise. O'Donahue named second best #6, which is no mean feat with the way Dempsey has been playing. Whiteley was always a certainty, but Hemopo has really ensured he has to fight for his position. The 4 boys from St Joseph's (Carolan, Robertson, O'Donahue and Murphy) in the pack will mean a strong sense of unity, along with Lee-Warner who played alongside them for GPS for the past week. In the halves Natoli and Horwitz are a class above Ferris and Tulloch, however the latter play alongside each other at Kings. Moeroa and Stewart were picked without any real preparation. Inexperience (Tepai) and injuries (Jim) could be exploited. Milne is a centre, he should have been picked there, or not at all. Kellaway was the best choice at fullback, could be wasted on the wing. McIntyre at fullback, not too sure how that'll turn out. Long story short, The NSW 1s backline is a s*** fight. However IMO Creeley wasn't the ideal pick to join Foketi in the NSW 2s centres, especially considering last years centres were Foketi and Barclay (who was left out this year). Harry Jones, Charlie Taylor and John Porch will make a very strong back three. My prediction is for the NSW 2s to end the drought or at least finish a close runner up (has happened 3/6 times since the Queensland dominance started back in 2006).

I can't see how you come to your assessment. If anything there are probably one, maybe 2 positions which seem to be contentious. Robertson should have been selected over OPL with the rest of the pack I think the selector have got it right or there is a struck match between them. In a number of positions in the pack the picked player was a standout ie whitely, Dempsey, rorke.

In the backiline again they have picked well. 3 OZ schoolboys to start. Natoli and Horwitz have both represented their country and have a light year more experience than the kings pairing. Stewart also OZ schoolboys has only missed 2 weeks and trained today. He is experience at this level and has played a number of lead up game throughout the GPS trials. Moeroa is as inexperienced as many at this level such as Tulloch, Milne jones etc. although played nsw schools 16s and nsw16s last year. He has probably been the standout centre in GPS trials this far having outplayed his major competition for the position. Kellaway played wing last year so has played this position on this stage not to mention his working with fellow scots boy Stewart. McIntyre also a OZ schoolboy had to be chosen and given he has played 15 and 10 before has the experience on this stage that none of the NSW 2s back 3 have. Milne could be considered the only contentious decision perhaps with Foketi as an alternative. Both are athletic and strong and would be playing out of position again probably only a struck match between them and maybe Milne's GPS trial form gave him the edge. Overall I think the NSW 1s team is superior in most positions and will be a handful for all competition. Overall it's a very strong team with a lot of options in the back line should injuries strike. Not sure the 2s enjoy anywhere near the experience or have such luxuries with their versatility.

AusBoyRugby

Stan Wickham (3)
My bet is that the majority of the Aus team will be filled up by QLD and NSW players.
Judging by the State selection results and past results, anyone able to make up a rough guess on the backs and forwards for the Aus and Aus A team?

ISA Follower

Frank Nicholson (4)
Combined States Team as listed on the Aust Schools website:

1. Jeremy Baker-Beaumont (Marymount - QLD)
2. Sam Kitchen (Knox - NSW)
3. Jake Palermo (Holy Spirit - NSW)
4. Connor Vest (Grafton HS - NSW)
5. Daniel Preen (IGS - QLD)
6. Sam Croke (Xavier - NSW)
7. Harry Randell (Kings - NSW)
8. Lachlan Oppenheimer (ACGS - QLD)
9. Angus Pulver (SHORE - NSW)
10. Patrick James (Nudgee - QLD)
11. Matthew Hood (Newington - NSW)
12. Landon Hayes (IGS - QLD)
13. Jack Redden (SIC - NSW)
14. Jack Heenan (GT - QLD)
15. Josh Bowen-Boyer (BBC - QLD)
16. Nathan Kelly (NSW)
17. Matthew Gough (Downlands - QLD)
18. Aaron Sorridimi (Villanova - QLD)
19. James Kennelly (TAS - NSW)
20. Luke Papworth (TSS - QLD)
21. Sam Gerry-Burgess (SIC - NSW)
22. Semisi Rogoyawa (SEC - ACT)
23. Adrian DeLore (Whitebridge HS - NSW)

GPStyle

Herbert Moran (7)
Joey's boys aren't permitted to be members of the Gold squad glee club so no selection.

oi mate i dont like to be made looked like an idiont when i know im right. Sam Gerrey Burgess isn't in JGS or NGS and he made the combined team. so get your facts straight genius!

Status
Not open for further replies.