• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2012 National Schools Rugby Sevens Tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.

whatever

Darby Loudon (17)
so you dont think the gps is a good comp? you dont think that if a comp is to decide the best team in australia that it shouldnt involve the best teams?

maybe credability was the wrong word to use but if i played in that comp and won knowing that there were multiple teams that were really good that didnt compete i wouldnt feel near as satisfied with winning as i would if those teams played and we beat them aswell

Mate, WTF are you on? Let me say this, if Patrician Brothers Blacktown took rugby union seriously for one year, they would lay waste to all the GPS schools in this state, including GPS champs Newington. They don't, therefore they did not qualify into the finals of this tourney. The teams that qualified got there fair and square by beating whoever was in front of them. St Gregs - best in NSW and Keebra Park - Qld and National

Bill McLean (32)
... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... Yet me say this, if Patrician Brothers Blacktown took rugby union seriously for one year, they would lay waste to all the GPS schools in this state, including GPS champs Newington... ... ... ... ... ...

Such a scenario could probably be true, especially at the sevens level! I could picture a Blacktown Pats team with Pauli Pauli, Chad McGill, Bryce Cartwright in the forwards and the likes of Dallin Watene-Zelezniak, Paul Simona, Sione Folau and Halauafu Lavaka in the backs. What a formidable line-up that would be!

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Such a scenario could probably be true, especially at the sevens level! I could picture a Blacktown Pats team with Pauli Pauli, Chad McGill, Bryce Cartwright in the forwards and the likes of Dallin Watene-Zelezniak, Paul Simona, Sione Folau and Halauafu Lavaka in the backs. What a formidable line-up that would be!

If Rugby get all of the MCS schools (which include both Greg's and Pat's Blacktown) then many of the old guard would be in for a very nasty shock to the preconceived ideas.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
so you dont think the gps is a good comp? you dont think that if a comp is to decide the best team in australia that it shouldnt involve the best teams?

maybe credability was the wrong word to use but if i played in that comp and won knowing that there were multiple teams that were really good that didnt compete i wouldnt feel near as satisfied with winning as i would if those teams played and we beat them aswell

You seem to think that there is some ruling preventing the Sydney GPS teams from entering this National Competition. Last time I looked, it was open to all secondary school teams to enter the various competitions to determine the State representatives to go forward to the Nationals. I can not fathom the arrogance (and ignorance) of the teams (and supporters) who decide not to enter a competition, and then get all precious about being "better" than the winner of said competition.

Who decides who are these multiple teams that are by definition "really good"?

The purpose of the competition is to determine how good the teams are and their relative ranking compared to all the others.

If some "good" outfit decides not to compete, then they lose all bragging rights to being considered "good" or better than the mob who wins the competition.

Why do the so called "good" teams boycott the National Championships?

If they are so "good" then why are they scared to take the chance to demonstrate how "good" they actually are.

Just because a team is "good" at 15 aside rugby, doesn't mean that they will necessarily be "good" at the shortened version of the game. Most of the Awesome Rugby 7's players are basic journeymen in the 15 aside version of the game, and vice versa.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
Mate, WTF are you on? Let me say this, if Patrician Brothers Blacktown took rugby union seriously for one year, they would lay waste to all the GPS schools in this state, including GPS champs Newington. They don't, therefore they did not qualify into the finals of this tourney. The teams that qualified got there fair and square by beating whoever was in front of them. St Gregs - best in NSW and Keebra Park - Qld and National

whats your point? never even mentioned patrician brothers...

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
You seem to think that there is some ruling preventing the Sydney GPS teams from entering this National Competition. Last time I looked, it was open to all secondary school teams to enter the various competitions to determine the State representatives to go forward to the Nationals. I can not fathom the arrogance (and ignorance) of the teams (and supporters) who decide not to enter a competition, and then get all precious about being "better" than the winner of said competition.

Who decides who are these multiple teams that are by definition "really good"?

The purpose of the competition is to determine how good the teams are and their relative ranking compared to all the others.

If some "good" outfit decides not to compete, then they lose all bragging rights to being considered "good" or better than the mob who wins the competition.

Why do the so called "good" teams boycott the National Championships?

If they are so "good" then why are they scared to take the chance to demonstrate how "good" they actually are.

Just because a team is "good" at 15 aside rugby, doesn't mean that they will necessarily be "good" at the shortened version of the game. Most of the Awesome Rugby 7's players are basic journeymen in the 15 aside version of the game, and vice versa.

no i dont seem to think that and have never said anything to lead you to believe otherwise. Nor do i condone teams not entering or entering below par teams i think its stupid.

Who decides who are these multiple teams that are by definition "really good"?- the competition they are in, the standing in that competition, the quality of the players, previous results by that team are all fairly good indicators id imagine

"If some "good" outfit decides not to compete, then they lose all bragging rights to being considered "good" or better than the mob who wins the competition." so using your logic if the all blacks, wallabies or springboks decided to boycott the next world cup for whatever they would cease to be a good team....dont think so

why do you automatically label them as scared? such a childish thing to do. Do you really honestly believe a schools coach goes"crap im not going to enter us in that comp because im scared we might get beaten"?

thats correct but its a pretty good guess, especially if the team has a good backline and a decent backrow. most 7's players are just 15's rejects theres very few who are truley good 7's players like gollings or serevi. one of Australias best players in the past few years has been stannard, kingi when he played was another, now personally i believe there is no way in hell theyd even get a look in if all the s15 players were available. most 7's players play 7's because they just cant cut it in the full version

Status
Not open for further replies.