• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2012 Rugby Championship Game 1 Australia vs New Zealand - 18 August

Who will win 2012 Rugby Championship Game 1 between NZ and Australia?

• The Men in Gold - The Wallabies

Votes: 50 45.9%
  • The Darkness - The New Zealand Rugby Team

Votes: 59 54.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Thank you for not reading the first paragraph in my post, but I really appreciate your efforts to just be blatantly argumentative.
How precious are you?
I wasn't being argumentative: you need to get out more.
I read it but decided it was just personal crap directed at Beale - similar to your post under reply.
There's no lesson here: Dagg is too good for Beale and not watching the ball is something all players do from time to time.
Hell, I bet even you make mistakes.
Worrying about things you can't change or thinking that an aberration such as the knock on make a player unworthy are both unproductive approaches.
I happen to think that Beale is overrated (the missed tackle supports this view) but If he was good enough, despite my view, he's still the same player and should not be vilified for one bad game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
What said it all for me was Beale laughing with SBW and a few other kiwis after the game. Not saying he can't have a bad game and move on but if it was me I would be inconsolable directly afterwards. Our complete lack of emotion when we lose says to me they don't care. Maybe this is just how it is in the age of professional rugby..

At least QC (Quade Cooper) looked like he was about to cry, or had just done so, in the post match analysis. Beale didn't look that upset which was amazing considering (a) the loss and (b) his shite performance.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
This game has pretty much turned me off attending a test match ever again. I'm might reconsider if it's at AAMI Park or the MCG.

Nothing worse then being surrounded by a bunch of drunken dickhead Kiwis, except paying $93.00 for it. Not to mention a "home" crowd which takes Beale's cock ups to produce anything resembling vocal "support" or the 70th minute mark for a sh*t house done to death "Aussie Oi Oi Oi".

WTF is with the beach balls too? It's not the f**king cricket.

The ARU have so many f**k ups on and off the field. I'm not wasting my time.

Rebels or nothing for me.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Hell like I said earlier, I not that keen on going to another at Homebush, but I will always be going to tests. maybe because i one of these dickhead kiwis of course;), and I got pissed at the Mexican Wave, as I trying to watch game but hey, the people pay their money I suppose so it no good getting nickers in a twist over it. I talking to mates both AB and Wallabies supporters even about the booing of Carter's first kick, and although I don't like booing myself, even that doesn't worry me overly, they were trying to put Carter off his game , it didn't work so they pretty well gave up, if you actually think about it is that different to cheering on your team when they pouring into it, you do that to try and help your team and boo opposition to try and put other team off, bit like playing game. And I not encouraging booing etc, but would rather a crowd cheered (and booed) than just sat there quietly and politely clapped after teams score. Wouldn't mind betting QC (Quade Cooper) gets a bit of booing next week if he starts in Akld, as a few kiwi boys I was talking to said, it all started as him being the comic book villain last year, but if everyone thinks it will help put him off game.............:rolleyes:

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)

Same reply I made on the blog.

Genia can release the pass quicker and get the forwards moving faster. There really isn't a need to wait until 4 forwards are all standing there waiting for the ball. He can give it while only 2 forwards are there forcing the other forwards to go straight to the ruck. Genia will often have a better view than Pocock or whichever forward is there of who is a couple of steps behind and can make the next breakdown. Who cares if Pocock has his hand up.....give him the ball and force your piggies to MOVE THEIR ASS.

A good half back has the forwards playing to his momentum and to his tempo more than Genia seems to be able to do in the Wallabies. If fitness is a major problem then you have to wonder what the hell these guys have been doing since about Nov last year when most Super Rugby players probably started their pre-season.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

Genia can release the pass quicker and get the forwards moving faster. There really isn't a need to wait until 4 forwards are all standing there waiting for the ball. He can give it while only 2 forwards are there forcing the other forwards to go straight to the ruck. Genia will often have a better view than Pocock or whichever forward is there of who is a couple of steps behind and can make the next breakdown. Who cares if Pocock has his hand up...give him the ball and force your piggies to MOVE THEIR ASS.

A good half back has the forwards playing to his momentum and to his tempo more than Genia seems to be able to do in the Wallabies. If fitness is a major problem then you have to wonder what the hell these guys have been doing since about Nov last year when most Super Rugby players probably started their pre-season.
Quite a few of them paticipated in what appears to be a piss-poor S&C program, based on the Super Rugby season.

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)

Genia can release the pass quicker and get the forwards moving faster. There really isn't a need to wait until 4 forwards are all standing there waiting for the ball. He can give it while only 2 forwards are there forcing the other forwards to go straight to the ruck. Genia will often have a better view than Pocock or whichever forward is there of who is a couple of steps behind and can make the next breakdown. Who cares if Pocock has his hand up...give him the ball and force your piggies to MOVE THEIR ASS.

Same reply as I made on the blog too Bullrush - Genia runs the show at the Reds where he controls the momentum of the forwards. At the Reds his coaches know the importance of quick ball and he doesn't have a #10 slowing the play down - as a result they play as you say they should.

Agree with you on how it should be done but the coaches and forwards all have to get with the plan, no halfback can override them all without approval (and encouragement) from the coaches.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Who says that passion is dead in Australian Rugby, and that the fans don't care?

15 days on in a thread on one game in the annual tournament and we are up to post 1251 (god knows how many have been deleted during the "discussion" on the relative merits of Captains and loose forwards). According to my calculator that is just over 83 posts per day!

Gaggerland: When too much rugby is still not enough.

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
Out of curiosity do you think having a second play maker at 12 would reduce the number of slow ball rucks if it means we don't have to wait until the 15 comes into the line?

I didn't see any instances on Saturday where play slowed down because Barnes was out of play and the Wallabies had to wait for Beale to come up from the back.

Regardless of who plays #12 they have a big role to play in the decision making process - they have to feed information in to the #10 about what's happening out wide - if the #12 focuses on the outside this allows #10 to focus on opportunities closer to the ruck, lineout, scrum etc. Something like the following:

Vision-Channels.jpg

Of course if you have a genuine playmaker at #12 they are more adept at identifying opportunities and are better at executing the play when the ball comes their way than having say Nonu or SBW at #12. And I mean no disprespect to Nonu or SBW but it's rare to have a playmaker who's also a big ball running option like they are. So teams normally go one way or the other - I'm sure the Wallabies would love Nonu or SBW at #12 and not have to even consider the two playmaker option.

The Wallabies have been blessed with some great #10/#12 options in the past - Ella/Lynagh, Larkham/Horan - wouldn't suggest Cooper/Barnes in the same breath as those combinations but we all talk so fondly of that match against France and that was the combination that day.

Will Deans go for the Cooper/Barnes combination this weekend? I don't think he will - I hope I get a surprise when the team's announced.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Thanks for the illustration Austin, I think maybe we need to make one of these to show the forwards what they should be seeing when playing tight.
This comes to mind:

UzsHK.png

So, I'll be seeing you guys in hell then, I hope they play rugby there as well.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
no I think it's a reflection of your midfield not really doing much.
The absence of Conrad smith, IMO, is the real explanation.

No doubt we missed Conrad he's been our best centre in 20 years. But SBW carried more times than any other AB player on Saturday and made decent metres as well. He didn't really get the offload game going sure, but the way we were getting quick ball off is runs after he had drawn 2-3 at least was just as good IMO.

Nonu looked at sea on occasions in both attack and defence

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
No doubt we missed Conrad he's been our best centre in 20 years. But SBW carried more times than any other AB player on Saturday and made decent metres as well. He didn't really get the offload game going sure, but the way we were getting quick ball off is runs after he had drawn 2-3 at least was just as good IMO.

Nonu looked at sea on occasions in both attack and defence
can't stand SBW: it may be irrational, I can't be sure, but Nonu is not a 12.

O

Ole Two Blue

The Battle of the Loose Forwards between Black, and Gold was as big a disappointment as that between Gold, and Red earlier in the Season.

Humble pie is being consumed at Chez Jarse today.

While I didn't think the Darkness loosies played particularly well, the loosies for the Men in Gold had a collective shocker.

Bam Bam looks good when he is supported both by the 6 and 8, but also by the rest of the #1- #5. Last night this did not happen, so while Black #6 was a bit meh, the black #7 and #8 along with the support of some mongrels in #1-#5, they were able to dominate at will.

I saw Bam go down with what looked like a knee issue during the match, and he seemed a bit off the ball after that, or maybe that just highlighted how the Gold loosies were being owned by the Darkness.

I think much of my thoughts on the game have been covered in previous posts by others, so may limit comment to both teams played poorly last night. One team was much poorer than the other.

While the Darkness will undoubtedly work on eliminating their mistakes, perhaps we should give Dingo and his team some credit for doing similar and as a result we will see an improved performance from the away team next weekend.

To play as poorly as we did and still only get beaten by 8 points is a positive.

What the?

I felt the Darkness loosies gave the gold loosies a lesson. Higginbotham did NOTHING other than run around trying to look scary. Pocock got a lesson from Richie on international 7 play, there's more to it than slowing the ball down and Kieran Read just worked his butt off. It was a lesson in how a loosies trio all working hard together, making the right decisions can dominate a match.

I fear for Auckland, the Darkness will only get better

Status
Not open for further replies.