• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2012 Rugby Championship Game 1 Australia vs New Zealand - 18 August

Who will win 2012 Rugby Championship Game 1 between NZ and Australia?

• The Men in Gold - The Wallabies

Votes: 50 45.9%
  • The Darkness - The New Zealand Rugby Team

Votes: 59 54.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tordah

Dave Cowper (27)
Nah if Horne wasn't taken out Beale wouldn't have moved in.

don't think so, Ioane already moved towards Dagg, as did Beale. Nonu's obstruction had zero impact on the outcome,though technically might have been penalisable. Then again, Rolland blew a ridiculous obstruction against Nonu earlier which clearly wasn't.

It was simply a case of Beale going with the instinctive (wrong) move towards the ball instead of sticking with his man.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yep Beale got it wrong as the Wallabies had them marked man for man but the obstruction influenced the play, how minor doesn't matter. Try shouldn't have been awarded.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Yeah I thought our line out didn't go too badly, but I would have liked to see it going to the back a bit more (wind permitting) and also maybe the odd trick play throwing it to one of the front lifters or back to the hooker coming round the corner.

We defended their lineout pretty badly. A couple of times it was just absolute laziness from our pack, train-wreck-in-slow-motion stuff.

Watch the game again (I know that this is a big ask) and count how many times the NZ jumper reached over into the middle of the channel to take the ball. I counted two. Most NZ ball was secured by the jumper leaping vertically to take it above his head. While its very common to see this accepted, the defending team has little chance unless they barge across and close the gap. Given that the same team of three is reffing this weekend, you can expect the same result - NZ unchallenged to win all their lineouts.

Until refs are called out and make the hooker throw straight down the channel, lineouts will not be a contest.

Scorz

Syd Malcolm (24)
Did you watch on tv Hawko? It's very difficult to tell what's straight and what's borderline and what's down one side.
I think the lineout issue of throwing straight down the middle pales in comparison to scrum feeds.

But, neither issue really matters as the refs love how the game is now. They are the focal point of the piece, and they love it. If they didn't they would only have to stand as a union for 3.5 seconds and the iRB would react. Which is why I have no sympathy for any of them. Bludgers.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
don't think so, Ioane already moved towards Dagg, as did Beale. Nonu's obstruction had zero impact on the outcome,though technically might have been penalisable. Then again, Rolland blew a ridiculous obstruction against Nonu earlier which clearly wasn't.

It was simply a case of Beale going with the instinctive (wrong) move towards the ball instead of sticking with his man.

And Beale did it again later when Jane dropped the ball, which otherwise would have been a certain try. Beale looked like he didn't even want to try to make a tackle for most of the game.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Did you watch on tv Hawko? It's very difficult to tell what's straight and what's borderline and what's down one side.
I think the lineout issue of throwing straight down the middle pales in comparison to scrum feeds.

But, neither issue really matters as the refs love how the game is now. They are the focal point of the piece, and they love it. If they didn't they would only have to stand as a union for 3.5 seconds and the iRB would react. Which is why I have no sympathy for any of them. Bludgers.

The only way to tell is to watch the jumper

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I would be annoyed if that try was disallowed, and pretty frustrated if the Wallabies had a try disallowed for a similar circumstance.

I think it was Horne that was taken out, but it didn't affect play at all as the ball was passed well behind where he was taken out and it quickly travelled wider. I doubt Beale even noticed, as he was one man wider (outside AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), I think). Disagree that the obstruction affected the resulting play.

Was a plain misread pure and simple from Beale.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
And Beale did it again later when Jane dropped the ball, which otherwise would have been a certain try. Beale looked like he didn't even want to try to make a tackle for most of the game.

Is it possible his shoulder isn't right?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
A brain fart from a usually dependable defender. Probably rusty from lack of match fitness.

Hopefully his performance is not being influenced by off field activities such as issues with nightclub bouncers and the Queensland constabulary. There is already another thread to discuss the latter.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
A brain fart from a usually dependable defender. Probably rusty from lack of match fitness.

Hopefully his performance is not being influenced by off field activities such as issues with nightclub bouncers and the Queensland constabulary. There is already another thread to discuss the latter.
HJ we've been in furious agreement on nearly everything lately so I was shocked, shocked I tell you, to see you describe KB (Kurtley Beale) as a usually dependable defender. He's better than QC (Quade Cooper) but I have never had much confidence in him, he is better now than he was.
With all that said, and whatever the technicalities inside him, the missed tackle on Dagg was just one of those things. I haven't seen a full replay so I am only going on what I saw at the ground (including 1 replay) but I was left wondering whether anyone would have been able to stop him, he stood KB (Kurtley Beale) up ever so slightly then put the foot down for a nano second and, as Rex mossop would have said, it was good night nurse.
I do think that KB (Kurtley Beale) has put some of the weight he lost back on and that this brought him back to the pack. Last year he might have got close enough to Dagg to give himself a chance but I'm not so sure.
I guess I am saying that Dagg is frigging awesome, though his name holds him back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Karl

Bill McLean (32)
The problem isn't a lack of "match fitness" with the likes of Beale and others.

The problem is the way they destroy themselves on the drink every time they have 5 minutes between games.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
IS,

"Usually" dependable does not mean "always" dependable. Adjectives were chosen carefully.

Even your good self recognises his defence has improved. Against lesser skilled opponents than Sheeps Dagg, it is adequate.

Like many others sitting on the sidelines, I fear that there is something else going on in this young mans life that is impacting on his athletic performance. If so, I hope that his minders surround him with the support and assistance he needs to get over whatever is going on. He has demonstrated that he has superb talent.

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
Watch the game again (I know that this is a big ask) and count how many times the NZ jumper reached over into the middle of the channel to take the ball. I counted two. Most NZ ball was secured by the jumper leaping vertically to take it above his head. While its very common to see this accepted, the defending team has little chance unless they barge across and close the gap. Given that the same team of three is reffing this weekend, you can expect the same result - NZ unchallenged to win all their lineouts.

Until refs are called out and make the hooker throw straight down the channel, lineouts will not be a contest.

I noticed that too, although I suggest that both teams got away with some pretty crooked throws right from the start. (One only tends to notice the other teams fouls - the show Re:Union commented on the plethora of crooked Aussie throws!) I don't think there was a single not straight call all game. I suspect that the video analysts may have pinpointed that as an area that Rolland is a bit lenient in, or perhaps he told them he would not be too picky there and so the teams went in with the mindset to push the limits a bit.

Whether this approach is right or wrong is for another thread.

drewprint

John Solomon (38)
To be honest I didn't think any of the line-out throws from either team were bad enough to warrant a penalty. There were definitely some marginal ones for both teams, but in a game where the fucking ref is blowing his fucking whistle every other 5 seconds for every perceived offence under the sun, I'm more than happy to see them let slide.

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
To be honest I didn't think any of the line-out throws from either team were bad enough to warrant a penalty. There were definitely some marginal ones for both teams, but in a game where the fucking ref is blowing his fucking whistle every other 5 seconds for every perceived offence under the sun, I'm more than happy to see them let slide.

Me too.

Just thought I'd point out that although Rolland was very picky, he didn't carry this attitude through the lineout feeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.