• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2013 Ashes Part 2 - Down Under

Status
Not open for further replies.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Meanwhile, another scrum half scores a ton in 20/20. Not just any ton, but the world record, 156 of 63 balls!

Aaron Finch, take a bow. That was spectacular and great to watch the Pom bowling attack torn apart. We are finally on the score sheet this tour.

Still, keep him the f*** away from the test side.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Meanwhile, another scrum half scores a ton in 20/20. Not just any ton, but the world record, 156 of 63 balls!

Aaron Finch, take a bow. That was spectacular and great to watch the Pom bowling attack torn apart. We are finally on the score sheet this tour.

Still, keep him the f*** away from the test side.

Unless he can prove over a SS season that he has the ability and tempament to be given a chance.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
McDermott is back as bowling coach! That is brilliant news. Our pace bowlers haven't been the same since he left.

I am really pleased to hear that. He worked wonders with the bowlers last time around. Taught them how to actually pitch the ball up.

Idle speculation here, but I wonder if there were factors other than travel that caused Billy to pack it in last time.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I think much of our order is pretty much locked in for this series:

1. Rogers
3. Watson
4. Clarke
5. Smith
7. Haddin (possibly 6 if they play Faulkner again)
8. Siddle
10. Harris
11. Lyon

Time is passing and I agree that the above still stand as pretty well locked in. I can see Warner making a return as opener after his pair of centuries in the ODD series. Hughes imo is not consistent enough (same can be said about Warner) to make the test team, but if considered at all should be as opener as an alternative to Warner.

6 could be filled by Voges, or maybe George Bailly. Time perhaps to try a more mature and hopefully less impulsive batsman in the middle order.

Can see the third paceman being Mitch Johnson. Not a fan but he seems to be showing improvement with a changed technique. Otherwise give Faulkner a go. Both can bat quite well as well as bowl.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I just hope they don't pick Aaron Finch on the back of his ODI form. That would be ludicrous. The guy has consistently been dominant in short form cricket and has always struggled at first class cricket. To expect that to change in the test team would be crazy.

Johnson is definitely back in the mix (and was named in their group of eight 'protected bowlers' whose workloads will be managed in the lead up to the Ashes).

I'd play Johnson at the WACA for sure given the current available bowlers.

Mostly I just want to see them pick 6 batsmen and play them for the series. There is no 'right choice' at the moment. Every option has upsides and downsides and there is no guarantee they will succeed. I feel our best chance is with consistency.

Personally I'd pick the above lineup and put Hughes as opener and Warner at 6.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I just hope they don't pick Aaron Finch on the back of his ODI form. That would be ludicrous. The guy has consistently been dominant in short form cricket and has always struggled at first class cricket. To expect that to change in the test team would be crazy.

Johnson is definitely back in the mix (and was named in their group of eight 'protected bowlers' whose workloads will be managed in the lead up to the Ashes).

I'd play Johnson at the WACA for sure given the current available bowlers.

Mostly I just want to see them pick 6 batsmen and play them for the series. There is no 'right choice' at the moment. Every option has upsides and downsides and there is no guarantee they will succeed. I feel our best chance is with consistency.

Personally I'd pick the above lineup and put Hughes as opener and Warner at 6.

Warner or Hughes at 6 I don't like. I think our main problem in recent times has been a preponderance of openers in the test lineup. These two should be considered as openers but not for any other position imo. 6 ideally needs a Mike Hussey type who is mature enough to know his game, who can dig in when needed, knows how to bat with the tail, and when the occasion requires can throw the bat as good as anyone else. Don't think batsmen who open an innings meet these criteria. To my mind, either Voges or Bailley are best suited of the present crop. Hopefully some youngsters can make the step up in the next couple of years, Like Doolan, Maddison or Burns. Henriques or Cosgrove I don't like at test level.

Great to see Billy the Kid back on deck.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't think Warner is best suited to opening the batting in test cricket which is why I'd pick him at 6. He has played a few patient, mature test innings for Australia (most notably his hundred in Tasmania against NZ when he carried his bat).

He has good footwork and is a pretty good player of spin and I don't think we have many other reasonable options. I'd probably give Bailey a crack otherwise.

I don't think the case for Voges is compelling enough given his age (34). You'd be picking him for his first class experience, not because he has an impressive record rescuing innings in the middle order in first class cricket.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
There seems to be some decent form developing at the moment, albeit in 50 over cricket. Bailey in India has been discussed and I feel will be a shoe in for the side. Usman K, White, Smith, Warner and today Shaun Marsh have all had strong starts to the season.

My misguided confidence is rebuilding. An ashes and a grand slam anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Anyone going to have a crack at picking the team?

1. Rogers
2. Hughes
3. Watson
4. Clarke
5. Smith
6. Haddin
7. Faulkner
8. Johnson
9. Harris
10. Siddle
11. Lyon

12. Bailey

Going to play Faulkner so Watson does not have to bowl.Toss up between Warner and Hughes, as Warner is the JOC (James O'Connor) of Aus cricket he can suffer and show consistency in the shield for at least the first 3 tests.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

1. Rogers
2. Hughes
3. Watson
4. Clarke
5. Smith
6. Haddin
7. Faulkner
8. Johnson
9. Harris
10. Siddle
11. Lyon

12. Bailey

Going to play Faulkner so Watson does not have to bowl.Toss up between Warner and Hughes, as Warner is the JOC (James O'Connor) of Aus cricket he can suffer and show consistency in the shield for at least the first 3 tests.

I'm fine with that except Hughes at the top. And the only alternative I can think of is Dave Warner. I actually wouldn't mind if they went with Mick Klinger, but they won't.

I also have my annual doubts over Siddle, but he will probably step up at some stage.

Meh.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)

1. Rogers
2. Hughes
3. Watson
4. Clarke
5. Smith
6. Haddin
7. Faulkner
8. Johnson
9. Harris
10. Siddle
11. Lyon

12. Bailey

I reckon if you swap Faulkner with Bailey and Hughes with Warner that will be our team for the first test.

The good thing is that there are a few batsmen in the shield atm who look in good nick. Warner has just come off a ton and a half century against Victoria, a game where Rogers also scored big. Doolan has been scoring runs recently, Lynn has just peeled off some good scores and young Jordan Silk has piled on the runs against Queensland.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I reckon our first test team will be:

Rogers
Warner
Watson
Clarke
Smith
Bailey
Haddin
Johnson
Harris
Siddle
Lyon

Hughes and Faulkner will probably fight it out for 12th man.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)

Rogers
Warner
Watson
Clarke
Smith
Bailey
Haddin
Johnson
Harris
Siddle
Lyon

Everything iI have seen in the last two days makes me think you are right.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)

Rogers
Warner
Watson
Clarke
Smith
Bailey
Haddin
Johnson
Harris
Siddle
Lyon

Everything iI have seen in the last two days makes me think you are right.

I'd like to see Faulkner in before Bailey.
Bailey's record in the 4 or 5 day game is not in the same mould as in the shorter versions of the game, and Faulkner will play a better all rounder roll as Watson probably won't be doing much (if any) bowling in the first test

Status
Not open for further replies.