• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2013 Ashes Part 2 - Down Under

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
It seems like a cop out - we are losing and I'm going to retire soon so ill just do it now. However the most plausible reason for all this is that he was already planning on retiring soon but had his hand force by a tap on the shoulder in regards to his spot in the next game.

England need to make some changes and it is very likely that Swann was going to be one of them.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Agree. He comes across as a good bloke. We are being a bit precious if we are getting upset by a little celebration dance he did.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Agree. He comes across as a good bloke. We are being a bit precious if we are getting upset by a little celebration dance he did.
I agree, but a lot of people viewed it as twattish, so I guess it's payback. Personally, I don't think it's warranted. Now, if it was KP.........

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
KP is a whole other matter. It's fair to say you either love or loathe the bloke. His travails on this tour have put a smile on my face, that's for sure.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
“So it’s time for someone else to knuckle in and enjoy the ride.
“I could have made myself available for the last two Tests and maybe had a bit of a send-off from the Barmy Army.
“But that’s no reason to hang on for two more games. I like to be the centre of attention – but for the right reason by winning games of cricket.”
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cr...-is-to-retire-from-international-cricket.html

Substantially confirmed by the Oz press. Hard to bag a bloke when he puts it like this and the long term good of the team he know he will not be a part of is the driving force.
But - knowing nothing of cricket - I would have thought the Poms should be looking for new blood rather than talking of Panesar.

And this:
Meanwhile, Matt Prior is likely to pay the price for England’s loss of the Ashes by being dropped for the fourth Test in Melbourne starting on Boxing Day, and replaced by Jonny Bairstow.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
All is not well in the England camp, I'll take a wild swipe and guess one of the blokes Swann isn't keen on is a certain South African born batsman?

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/cricket/25489391

Graeme Swann takes apparent swipe at England team-mates
Graeme Swann has taken an apparent swipe at his former England team-mates saying unnamed players are "up their own backsides".

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
"Some people playing the game at the minute have no idea how far up their own backsides they are," he said.
"I hope they look back and are embarrassed about how they carry on."

he could be referring to David Warner for all we know.

If he is, I'd tend to agree with him. This is Fleet Street fodder.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
hmm, it now seems to be that he is definitely speaking about his team mates.

Oh well, roll on Boxing Day.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
KP is a whole other matter. It's fair to say you either love or loathe the bloke. His travails on this tour have put a smile on my face, that's for sure.

It's easy to get stuck into KP (I've had a go like most people I feel) but I'm definitely in the "love" camp when it comes to the bloke. He knows what works for him & he sticks to it. His latest response to Geoff Boycott was pretty measured I thought. Right now, he's batting pretty well considering our bowling hasnt been too bad & he's clearly ill out there.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
This is a much more even test. Really disappointed Rogers didn't convert that innings to a big ton. Bailey and Haddin are under serious pressure now.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Nice fight back today by the Australians, taking first innings points and a couple of quick wickets sees England in a precarious position of 4/100-odd. I think the Aussie cricketers smell a little blood in the water and are going in for the kill.

Status
Not open for further replies.