• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2013 Ashes Part 2 - Down Under

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

I think you are spot on regarding what the selectors have based their decision on. I just can't help but feel cherry picking performances to look at is going down the wrong path.

I think we will actually be in serious trouble if we lose Watson. His importance to the team is greatly underestimated. He is one of the best 6 batsmen in Aus, is putting together some consistent performances (in the 6 matches since the Durham test he has put together something like 2 100s and 3 50s) whilst also taking important wickets at a good average.

We simply do no have another player of that ilk who can replace him. James Faulkner appears to be a decent player, but he just further bolsters our strong bowling line up and weakens our average batting line up which I think is not the way towards better performances out of the team. The lack of a quality batsman/part time seam option to back up Watson is a concern.

If it were the other way around and our batting was the strength of our line up I think Faulkner would be a great inclusion.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I think you are spot on regarding what the selectors have based their decision on. I just can't help but feel cherry picking performances to look at is going down the wrong path.

I think we will actually be in serious trouble if we lose Watson. His importance to the team is greatly underestimated. He is one of the best 6 batsmen in Aus, is putting together some consistent performances (in the 6 matches since the Durham test he has put together something like 2 100s and 3 50s) whilst also taking important wickets at a good average.

We simply do no have another player of that ilk who can replace him. James Faulkner appears to be a decent player, but he just further bolsters our strong bowling line up and weakens our average batting line up which I think is not the way towards better performances out of the team. The lack of a quality batsman/part time seam option to back up Watson is a concern.

If it were the other way around and our batting was the strength of our line up I think Faulkner would be a great inclusion.

We're really on the same page. A fit Watson will serve Aus best. But if he's not fit then we need another option. If he can bat but not bowl, he could hold his spot at 3 but then we'd need another bowler to support the front liners as Watson does now, particularly given the doubts about Harris' continued fitness as well. The extra bowler could be Coulter-Nile who can also bat a bit and fields exceptionally well, or Faulkner who bats better and iirc has an excellent bowling return from his one test in England(6/98?).

If Coulter-Nile plays, Haddin would presumably bat at 6, but Faulkner could handle 6 if Haddin is better retained at 7. Either way, it doesn't look too good for Bailey unless both Watson and Harris come through their fitness tests ok.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
England win the toss and bowl first, they've brought Ballance, Rankin (one of the Irish players England have helped themselves to over the years) and Borthwick into the team for Root, Bresnan and Panesar.

Haven't seen much of Borthwick myself but going by Cricinfo stats he seems to be a bits and pieces leggie (http://www.espncricinfo.com/england/content/player/310519.html). He could add a bit more steel to the English tail but Australia will want to target him early in his first spell, Warnie he ain't.

From a purely selfish point of view I'm delighted to see England bowl, hopefully sometime tomorrow on my first visit to the SCG I'll get to see Mitch Johnson steam in with the new ball.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
a real bowlers pitch and conditions right? I hope we are still batting by the end of the day.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
a real bowlers pitch and conditions right? I hope we are still batting by the end of the day.

Looks like its quick and has decent carry, downside for bowlers is I think that batsman who like the ball coming onto the bat could score quickly. Not a bad toss for lose for Clarke.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Pitch hasn't done much so I think we should be pretty confident after lunch if there is still only the two wickets lost.

Good to see Watson looking like a test batsmen. He is over the mental issues around balls on his pads. We need him doing well.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Scrap that, 4/94 at lunch and we could be in trouble. Bailey has to put his hand up here.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Pitch hasn't done much so I think we should be pretty confident after lunch if there is still only the two wickets lost.

Good to see Watson looking like a test batsmen. He is over the mental issues around balls on his pads. We need him doing well.

Ha. Kiss of death on Watson!

He still doesn't try and use the bat in that instance, and that is why he will never be a consistent test batsman.

T

Train Without a Station

Scrap that, 4/94 at lunch and we could be in trouble. Bailey has to put his hand up here.

God I hope Bailey doesn't get on that plane to SA. Has performed exactly on par with his previous FC performances... mediocre. That being said, Faulkner isn't the option to replace him. Let's look at Lynn and Maddinson for the 6 spot in SA please.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
God I hope Bailey doesn't get on that plane to SA. Has performed exactly on par with his previous FC performances. mediocre. That being said, Faulkner isn't the option to replace him. Let's look at Lynn and Maddinson for the 6 spot in SA please.

The only thing that might save him is that Rogers, Clarke, & Warner didnt really make an impact either, i.e. blame the pitch/opposition.

We'll be lucky to get to 150 at this rate.

T

Train Without a Station

The only thing that might save him is that Rogers, Clarke, & Warner didnt really make an impact either, i.e. blame the pitch/opposition.

We'll be lucky to get to 150 at this rate.

I'd hope not. This is his 5th test match now. He's had ample opportunity to score more than a single 50.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Englands debutants aren't having a great day here. Rankin has pulled a hammy, Brothwick is getting smashed for more than a run a ball off his first overs in test cricket. At this rate Ballance is looking at a king pair!

Australia won that 2nd session, if these two are still together at stumps England will be certainties for a whitewash.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Haddin's form really has been quite remarkable. I can't remember a better one for a keeper, from a batsman's perspective.​

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
well perhaps if you excuse the series where Gilly scored his double century v SAF over there.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
The runs are one thing, but their timing is the key. He is my Man of the Series- without his contribution I think the result of this Ashes would have been very different.

Every 1st innings we have been in trouble, and in every one he has saved us, giving Johnson and Harris the freedom to attack the English bats.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I agree. All of his runs have been critical. They have been Border like in their necessity and timeliness. A very large part of me (and I have some very large parts) wants to give him man of the series, BUT Johnson has been remarkable.

In the 1st test he got 60 odd alongside Haddin's 90 odd in the first innings, and then came out and got that 4-four. He got a red ink 39 in the 2nd, as Haddin got another 50, and then Mitch snagged a that 5-for.

Haddin's 100 in the 1st innings of the 2nd test was quality, to go with a Pup 100, but Mitch's 7 for 40 destroyed England.

In the 3rd, Johnson almost matched Haddin with the willow again in the 1st innings and got 6 wkts for the match.

The 4th test was probably matched with Mitch's 5-for to HAddins innings saving 60.

Mitch edges it for me.

Amazing series by Haddin though.

Status
Not open for further replies.