• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2013 Ashes Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
So the Ashes squad for the away series is due to be annouced today, although rumour is that some people may be added to it later on.

We are set to have a new VC after Watson stood down to allow the ACB to start its succession planning. Looks like the first step of the succession planning is to reinstate 34 yr old Haddin as VC, even though he isn't first choice keeper or in the team. :confused:

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
squad Clarke, Haddin, Bird, Cowan, Faulkner, Harris, Hughes, Khawaja, Lyon, Pattinson, Rogers, Siddle, Starc, Wade, Warner, Watson

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
With Haddin and Rogers back in the side it would appear that there is a real problem with the professionalism and attitude within the group and they want some old hardheads to help balance out the Gen Yers.

It certainly seems that Mitchell Johnson's test career is over at least in the short term.

With only one spinner in the squad there is talk that Agar could be added later on (who is already over in England playing cricket) or Fawad Ahmed who is awaiting Australian citizenship.

With Haddin as vice captain it's hard to see him not playing in the first test.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Not sure the Aussies have enough batting depth to win this series, Chris Rogers and Brad Haddin aren't the answer to the India series woes.

Although the English media are already saying that this is the worst Australian team ever, we'll smash them etc etc, seems they haven't learnt from their attitude to their recent NZ tour. When the Brits are cocky there is always a chance of them imploding.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'm going to give the selectors some credit. They have shaken things up and gone back to the future. I don't see what other option they had so good on them for trying something different. It's disappointing its necessary but I don't see better options.

I think it last chance saloon for Cowan so hopefully he can produce. Its all about the batting for us, we need 2 or 3 to step forward.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Possisable Starting XI

Rogers
Cowan
Clarke
Hughes/Khawaja
Watson
Warner
Hadden
Pattinson
Siddle
Starc/Bird
Lyon

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If Watson isn't going to bowl then I think he should open.

After Clarke, he has the second best technique in the team. If he is going to bowl then I agree with you that 5 is good for him.

I absolutely agree that Warner needs to go down the order. He'll win far more test matches batting at 6 than he will opening.

If Watson isn't bowling then I'd have:

Watson
Cowan
Hughes
Khawaja
Clarke
Warner
Haddin
Pattinson
Starc
Siddle
Lyon

I expect one or possibly two pace bowlers will get rotated out every test. Harris certainly can't play back to back tests. Siddle and Bird offer something reasonably similar so should be alternated if Bird is bowling well (otherwise Siddle plays). Pattinson and Harris are probably quite similar aggressive bowlers too. Harris, Pattinson and Starc are our three most injury prone so their workloads need to be carefully managed.

I know a lot has been said about Clarke moving up the order, but his record at five is incredible and he likes batting there. Realistically so much of our hopes lie with him so I'd continue to bat him in his premiere spot.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
If Watson isn't going to bowl then I think he should open.

After Clarke, he has the second best technique in the team. If he is going to bowl then I agree with you that 5 is good for him.

I absolutely agree that Warner needs to go down the order. He'll win far more test matches batting at 6 than he will opening.

If Watson isn't bowling then I'd have:

Watson
Cowan
Hughes
Khawaja
Clarke
Warner
Haddin
Pattinson
Starc
Siddle
Lyon

I expect one or possibly two pace bowlers will get rotated out every test. Harris certainly can't play back to back tests. Siddle and Bird offer something reasonably similar so should be alternated if Bird is bowling well (otherwise Siddle plays). Pattinson and Harris are probably quite similar aggressive bowlers too. Harris, Pattinson and Starc are our three most injury prone so their workloads need to be carefully managed.

I know a lot has been said about Clarke moving up the order, but his record at five is incredible and he likes batting there. Realistically so much of our hopes lie with him so I'd continue to bat him in his premiere spot.

I have Watson at 5 as i really want him as the all rounder but he has not been up to sratch when opening.

I also feel that they wouldnt have bought Rogers in only for him to carry the drink he will play.
Im old school and think that you best batter needs to be at 3 but if Clarke doenst want to bat there that Hughes or Khwaja need to step up.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
I just hope Haddin doesn't give up too many runs or miss too many chances behind the stumps and bats sensibly and not throw his wicket away. Too much to ask?

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
As bad as Wade was I thought he was a big improvement on Haddin's final two years. Unfortunately since Gilchrist selectors seem to be more focussed on batting ability than keeping ability so Queensland's Chris Hartley won't get a look in.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
As bad as Wade was I thought he was a big improvement on Haddin's final two years. Unfortunately since Gilchrist selectors seem to be more focussed on batting ability than keeping ability so Queensland's Chris Hartley won't get a look in.
If only payne cam get back to the form he was before his finger was crushed

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
I'm thinking of picking up a ticket for day 5 of the first test at trent bridge, but given the recent test form of both sets of batsmen I don't know if it's going to make five full days. Thoughts? Talk me into it.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I'm thinking of picking up a ticket for day 5 of the first test at trent bridge, but given the recent test form of both sets of batsmen I don't know if it's going to make five full days. Thoughts? Talk me into it.

Day 5 probably won't be sold out. Wait and see?

O

Oz-pat

Good to see Warner's doing his bit for Aussie team morale :)

Looks like more than half the Oz Team have 'personality/social media' issues!

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
I think he should wipe that hairy line from underneath his nose. Maybe that should enable him to have at least a smell of the ball when facing spin

J

Josh Phillips

My Prediction for the both upcoming ashes series.
2013 Engand 2-1
2014- Australia 3-1

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Here's the only prediction anyone needs- mine.

Michael Clarke returns for the final game of the Champions Trophy for Australia, only to severley inflame his back injury and be ruled out of the upcoming Ashes Series.

In disarray, the selectors turn to an in form Ricky Ponting to lead an Australian side desperate for firepower.

Ponting accepts, returning to the helm for Australia, and leads them... to lose yet another Ashes series.

But seriously the Aussies will probably lose in England.

Status
Not open for further replies.