• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2013 Ashes Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Good turnaround and we really needed a Captain's No 11 on debut knock.

This kid is having a good game.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Fuck me what a turn around in this game. Could it get any more gripping than this?

I was actually very surprised to see Agar batting at 11 after seeing his work for WA this year. He's actually got a great technique that frankly embarrasses a few of his top order colleagues. Props to Hughes for playing very much within himself as well. He might have turned the corner as a player. I still think he's got an ugly technique but at least he handles the short ball better now.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Test World record partnership for 10th wicket, and still going...

Highest score in a Test by a #11 batsman and still not out ....

This kid has a Test batting average approaching The Don.

The Gods have spoken. He is NOT to get a better average than the Don.

Out on 98 (off 101) in his debut test.

Aus 280, lead by 65.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Great fight back fellas. We've been used to them capitulating over the last couple of seasons but they've shown a bit of backbone here. Anderson is the most improved bowler in world cricket for mine and he was outstanding again today. Only Steyn is better among the quicks IMHO.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Don't let anyone in the media, particularly the English media, call this a "lucky get out for Australia".

Obviously this was our plan all along. The Australian fans and media have been deliberately keeping quiet about this guy's potential for months, so when we throw him in at #11 in the first test the English get caught by surprise.

Nice work guys.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Wow, I wasn't game to post here last night in case I jinxed the hughes-agar partnership. Well done to both of them, unbelievable innings from Agar

AdelaideRugby84

Chris McKivat (8)
Well done Ashton Agar.

I have to admit I thought the selectors stuffed up bringing him but I am glad to admit I was wrong but what an innings that was.

Went within a whisker of putting himself in the record books.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
How good is a competitive Ashes game. Ashton Agar is going great guns. Really hoe he gets a wicket or 2 tonight.

Good coaching by Boof to put him in at 11 so he had no pressure on him. He has a great technique, better than some of the batsmen.

Phil Hughes had a great knock too. It would have been easy to throw his wicket away trying to keep up with the young guy at the other end but he was content to keep playing his way. I was never a fan but this innings could be a career changer. He needs to keep this up.

For the life of me I don't know what Cowan is in the team. He opens or he carries the drinks. Khawaja at 3 would be a better option in my eyes.

Really glad to see Warner being sent to SA too. He needs to learn that the team is the most important thing. I'm hopeful he will return with a better attitude.

Also thank god for Foxtel Go. Can watch the test in bed and not wake up the entire house.

Pedrolicus

Dick Tooth (41)
Really? I don't. His 50 to 100 conversion rate is appalling. If you are going to get starts then you should be capable of going on with the job. It has nothing to do with the ability of the players around him.

Newsflash we don't have anyone better. Perhaps he should do better but even if he averages 40 & never gets another century he will still be better than the majority of Australian batsmen at the moment.

It's stupid to think a double ton one innings and a duck in three is better than four half centuries.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Still recovering from yesterdays play, bit groggy this morning at work but 100% worth staying up to watch that young boys innings. His technique and concentration was superb, I was even more proud to be Australian when he removed his helmet and cracked a huge smile despite being 2 runs short of a maiden ton. The kid showed what it means to represent our great country and showed great ticker when our backs were against the wall. Hopefully our other lads can see that once in, this pitch is a batsman's paradise and not give away their wicket.

Unfortunately though, Agar looks ineffective with the ball. Pietersen struggled against him but rarely looked like getting out, Cook is a great concern once he is in and would be the priority wicket right now. He has shown how much damage he can do and has a sensational average against Australia.

My thoughts heading into tonight are that we must get an early wicket or England will dominate day 3. The pitch is flat and the ball isn't moving, we have to hope for some luck and take our chances. Once we break this partnership I think we can have a real crack at a vulnerable English middle-order, IMO these two are the best they have and their only real chance right now. It will need to be either Siddle or Starc, maybe even Clarke should take the ball for an over or two and try redeem his batting. Pattinson, Agar and Watson don't really look threatening just yet. Their run rate is hovering around 2 RPO, sooner or later you would think KP will start to swing. Either way I hope there has been some serious talk overnight about getting the ball to move, the Poms managed to get swing so I don't see why our bowlers are failing.

Prediction for Day 3. Early wicket to one of the quicks, probably Pietersen. Bell will come in and do nothing as usual other than occupy the crease while Cook heads towards a century. Bell and Cook will make it to lunch with a low run rate and very little happening other than tired bowlers and uninspired fields designed to stop singles. Inspired bowling after lunch will see Cook removed and English middle order will fall apart, I'd say Siddle to grab a few and hopefully Agar can break his duck. They will make it to tea 5/6 wickets down, Bell still at the crease. Lower order will somehow scrape together an additional 50 runs and Australia will be chasing something around 200-220 for victory...

Two very important factors: weather and pitch condition. If we are chasing anything more than 200, I'd back the Poms to bowl us out similar to the first innings. If we can get some early wickets and restrict them to 150, I think we might just get there but it will be tight. Either way, if Australia wants to win this test it must be done before day 5. If not, Swann will rip apart our batting line-up on what looks to be a deteriorating pitch ideal for his spin.

Someone needs to put their hand up in the second innings and show fight, my pick is Hughes. He looks like a mature player right now and has put a price on his wicket, for me he is our form batsman. Would even consider him up the order, Clarke at 5.

One other thing; FFS change the batting order, Cowan is not a #3.

C'MON AUSSIE!

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
And one other thing...

Maybe it is UnAustralian of me but I was really disappointed to see Agar lead the team off for the close of play. Sure, I understand that it was his day and he significantly contributed with the bat but that is not why he was picked. He failed to take a single wicket and IMO that should be his priority. In past years he wouldn't have been given that kind of send off, I know for sure that Warnie wouldn't have taken that kind of liberty.

I will be cheering bloody loudly when he gets his first wicket however for now he isn't the hero that we think he is and we need to be realistic. Celebrating an individual performance like that should only been done when he walked off the field with his bat raised.

You have to also wonder how pissed Clarke was that Agar gave his wicket away like that. From the camera footage he looked extremely disappointed, another half hour of batting and both would have had centuries and Aus would have been over 100 runs ahead. England were on the ropes with no momentum, that brain snap gave the Poms some hope and it is showing.

That aside, congrats to the lad. As I said in my previous post he deserves the praise he is receiving and showed a lot of heart.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
Newsflash we don't have anyone better. Perhaps he should do better but even if he averages 40 & never gets another century he will still be better than the majority of Australian batsmen at the moment.

It's stupid to think a double ton one innings and a duck in three is better than four half centuries.

Don't recall saying the part in the bolded, wasn't really my point. Go back and have a look at Watson's batting figures over the last 18 months, in fact, I did the work for you. Not pretty reading.

His test career average is 35.34, while I will concede that it is better than some of the batsmen currently in the squad, it most certainly does not excuse the fact that he is unable to convert. In fact, the major problem we are having with our batsmen at the moment is that they can get starts, but the only player capable of going on is Clarke. Watson is just as guilty as everyone else, and the problem requires attention.

To me Watson is an allrounder. When his batting figures are viewed in that context, they are much more favourable. His value add is his bowling, not his batting. If he isn't bowling, his value is greatly diminished.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
Anyway, what a brilliant innings by Agar! Should do his confidence wonders! I just hope that he can bag a wicket or two in the second innings!

Game on! This is shaping up to be a great series.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
To me Watson is an allrounder. When his batting figures are viewed in that context, they are much more favourable. His value add is his bowling, not his batting. If he isn't bowling, he value is greatly diminished.

Agreed, and on his day world class. Unfortunately, those days seem to be few and far between now. I had a chuckle to myself last night when the commentators compared him to Jaques Kallis, almost fell off my seat.

I just wonder whether he will play the 2nd test, the rumours circling now seem to suggest not.

If that is the case then we will probably see Warner back. IMO this will be where we win or lose the series, if he can put his ego to the side and focus on playing a proper test match innings I think Warner could be a key. He has a bloody hell of a lot to prove and the English press vultures are circling. It could be the perfect recipe for the birth of an Aussie legend at Lords.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
Bugger. That wouldn't be good for us if Watson doesn't play, simply because he has been able to hold down an end while bowling in this match so far.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Yeah, I was quite shocked to see the run rate last night. Clearly the Poms think its more important to occupy the crease than score runs, a lesson they learnt from Hughes.

It's obvious the Aussies are strangling the field attempting to stop runs however I think it's exactly what the English want. Cook enjoys wearing down the bowler until they start bowling to his strengths, Pietersen is showing restraint but I doubt he will be able to keep it up for an entire day. Something has to give, I just don't think Watson will be the man for the breakthrough.

As I said before, they need to do some serious research into how to get the ball moving if they want any chance in this series. Reverse swing is the key and right now Anderson is on top.

Status
Not open for further replies.