• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2013 Ashes Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Get onto billy Birmingham's twitter account . he posts sound bytes doing Richie and Bill, mainly

@12thManBillyB

-----------------------
I hate autocorrect ...

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Anyway, what a brilliant innings by Agar! Should do his confidence wonders! I just hope that he can bag a wicket or two in the second innings!

Game on! This is shaping up to be a great series.

Cook caught out on 50 off Agar. Not a bad first Test Wicket scalp.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The debate on "should you walk" has been reignited.

Does the batsman always know if they have actually knicked the ball?

Should the umpire be allowed to "go upstairs" for close decisions on caught behinds?
I think that they already have that right.

Pusser

Larry Dwyer (12)
The debate on "should you walk" has been reignited.

Does the batsman always know if they have actually knicked the ball?

Should the umpire be allowed to "go upstairs" for close decisions on caught behinds?
I think that they already have that right.
If there is a debate, we (the Aussies) will look like hypocrites. Except for one notable exception we have long maintained that the decision was the umpires and it was a swings and roundabouts issue. Consistency is a problem. If you walk when it is a normal situation but not in a clutch situation it is gross gamesmanship. Better if no one walked.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Funny that it always the media who spark the "why didn't he walk?" controversy.

Apart from Gilly, most players say nothing.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
It looked like a shocker but we only have ourselves to blame. Had we not wasted a review on that ridiculous Bairstow appeal Broad would have been gone.

Put me firmly in the "never walk" camp, especially at international level.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I had a bad feeling about Ian Bell and his occupation of the crease, last night he proved my suspicions right. Credit where it is due, he played superbly so lets not forget that. Further proof that once in this pitch offers plenty for the batsman.

I am still scratching my head over the Broad decision, in my eyes it was a game changing moment where the umpire lost complete control of the situation. Broad knew he hit it, the Aussie's knew he hit it and for some reason the umpire's mind was elsewhere. It will probably cost Aleem Dar his career, a howler decision like that in the biggest test series in the world won't go unpunished by the ICC. Then again maybe it will serve as a lesson to Clarke to not waste reviews early in the innings, the drop catch of Bell in the following over just compounded the Aussie anger.

Poms are probably about 50 runs too far ahead IMO and should win this one easily now. Any run chase over 300 will be a near certain loss so Australia must clean up the lower order quickly tomorrow morning to have any chance. IF that happens, then we are going to need a centurion and some solid contributions from the middle order - something I can't see happening whilst Jimmy Anderson swings the ball.

England have shown its possible to score 300, whether we can do it is another story. Lehmann needs to inspire his troops and get them to dig deep.

Reactions: Epi

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
The poms already had the game won when the decision was made. AFAIC it won't change the result.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Pusser

Larry Dwyer (12)
I Any run chase over 300 will be a near certain loss so Australia must clean up the lower order quickly tomorrow morning to have any chance. IF that happens, then we are going to need a centurion and some solid contributions from the middle order - something I can't see happening whilst Jimmy Anderson swings the ball.

England have shown its possible to score 300, whether we can do it is another story. Lehmann needs to inspire his troops and get them to dig deep.

On grandstand they said there has never been a successful run chase over 200 on this ground. Then again records are meant to be broken - no one has had a No 11 like Agar averaging 98 :)

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
And there he goes again, the JOC (James O'Connor) of the Australian cricket team: Watson chewed up a pointless review leaving us with none when Broad snicked the ball to Haddin and Clarke.

Come here, Shane, no closer than that. Score runs and take wickets or fuck off! I, like most Australian cricket supporters, have had it with your lack of physical preparation and petty foot-stamping about opening. Message to Lehmann and Clarke: tell Watson he's going to bat where you tell him to bat (preferably 6 where genuine all rounders SHOULD bat). If he doesn't like it, tell him to pack his bags.

Reactions: Epi

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Big mountain to climb to win the game now. We're still in it but only just. If we do knock 'em over early and dig in to score the runs it will be an Ashes victory for the ages.

We can still win this game.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
It's all up hill for us now. 311 on this wicket looks like a bridge too far. Would love Watson and Rogers to get 100 partnership and put the pressure on the poms, that will entail a fair bit of luck.
Cowan at 3 does not inspire me and we can't expect Agar to repeat his first innings heroics. Someone needs to stand up and secure their spot for the remainder of the series.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Aus 33-0.

This post-lunch session will determine who wins this match, Aussies need a big partnership at the top of the order.

Pusser

Larry Dwyer (12)
Currently 84-1. Watson bloody unlucky. Praying for no collapse here.
He used up an appeal when it was unnecessary. He should only use it if he hit it. The odds are against him if he is given out as the ball must be missing completely. Selfish call.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
He used up an appeal when it was unnecessary. He should only use it if he hit it. The odds are against him if he is given out as the ball must be missing completely. Selfish call.

I know the ball must be missing the stumps completely. I'm prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt that he thought it was missing.

Just as I say that Rogers survives. Phew!

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Shiiieeet, that was close.

Rogers playing brilliantly so far, occupying the crease and remaining very watchful. It is important that he keeps his wicket at least until Cowan gets on the board, two new batsmen will make us very vulnerable to a collapse.

Fortunately the Poms aren't getting too much swing, but just as I say that Finn gets thrown the ball. Fingers crossed we can keep this up.

1-87

Watson very selfish...can't understand that review. The guy is given out LBW nearly every second innings, surely he must realise that his technique leaves him very vulnerable. FFS stop wasting our reviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.