• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2013 S15 New kids on the block

Status
Not open for further replies.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Well, that time of the year to get the crystal balls out .......

Some absolute finds this year across the various franchises. Who will next years discoveries be?

Caputo

Billy Sheehan (19)
I am hoping that Peter Betham can take his ITM form into Super Rugby and I would like to see a lot more of CFS at the Reds.
Peter Betham ain't exactly a new kid as this is his third Australian franchise
Others I would suggest would be Ollie Atkins or Jed Holloway if the Waratah locks come back injured from the NH.

Force CTM=SBW
Brumbies Fotu after a full pre season or Oosthuizen if Fardy or Carter have shoulder set backs
Reds Chris Sautia
Rebels Clarkie or Kearns calling Fuglistaller

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
I'm hoping Betham finally breaks out. He's a freak, big and strong, and FAAAST, but has had horrendous luck with injuries. Watching him carve up the ITM has been fantastic to watch, he's one plyer I wish we had under White here in the berra.

Other players from here: If Colby Fainga'a gets a run, look out. He was deemed a better player and made captain the year before last, over two reasonably well known young 7's running around atm, namely Hooper and Gill. Not a great pilferer, but everything else is seriously strong.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Peter Betham ain't exactly a new kid as this is his third Australian franchise
Others I would suggest would be Ollie Atkins or Jed Holloway if the Waratah locks come back injured from the NH.

Force CTM=SBW
Brumbies Fotu after a full pre season or Oosthuizen if Fardy or Carter have shoulder set backs
Reds Chris Sautia
Rebels Clarkie or Kearns calling Fuglistaller

Don't know why, Fuglistaller is a perfectly solid journeyman who will probably find a career in Europe but I just don't see him dominating for the Rebels.

On the other hand from the Rebels I expect break out years from Alo-Emile, James King, and Pauliasi Manu.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Rebels: Nick Stirzaker
Brumbies: Scott Sio
Force: Tetera Faulkner
Waratahs: Lopeti Timani
Reds: Dave McDuling

Do you forsee Faulkner getting a massive crack? Manu's the most promising young prop is the squad and they've both got Cowan and Ma'afu ahead of them.

Sure, we might both rate Faulkner above Ma'afu but it'd be hard to give him more gametime than a senior player of the back end of a lucrative contract.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Do you forsee Faulkner getting a massive crack? Manu's the most promising young prop is the squad and they've both got Cowan and Ma'afu ahead of them.

Sure, we might both rate Faulkner above Ma'afu but it'd be hard to give him more gametime than a senior player of the back end of a lucrative contract.

Faulkner is a better scrummager than Manu imo. He played really well against Owen Franks and for Southern Districts.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Faulkner is a better scrummager than Manu imo. He played really well against Owen Franks and for Southern Districts.

But Manu is better around the park and a perfectly decent scrummager.

I suppose it's apples and oranges then, a great scrummager that's decent around the field VS a decent scrummager who's great around the field.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Maybe due to squad injuries Curtis Browning gets plucked out Clubland and the Reds College and makes every post a winner. That would be a total NKOTB.

Thing about it is that there seem to be fewer 'new' new players in squads than in 2012, the Aussie ones at least, so we may see less new talent emerging in 2013. I'll be interested to see how the handful of ITM Cup players go for their new Aussie franchises.

T

TOCC

I was going to suggest Curtis as well...

Higgers is a loss and Radike won't be able to play all season, their will be opportunities there for a number 8 to step in...

latrell247

Chris McKivat (8)
Looks like Corey Brown may snatch the last EPS contract at the Force. I think Chris Tuatara is a good signing and can do some good things at Perth

latrell247

Chris McKivat (8)
Don't know why, Fuglistaller is a perfectly solid journeyman who will probably find a career in Europe but I just don't see him dominating for the Rebels.

On the other hand from the Rebels I expect break out years from Alo-Emile, James King, and Pauliasi Manu.
I certainly agree. Rebels could have done with an aus bred player like Jono Jenkins who wasn't signed by tahs and went abroad to France. Hugh Perrett isin't a bad option either who played a few games this year. But why oh why do our franchises pick the young pups when you have solid, experienced players running around the shute shield or the qld comp but don't get a look in because of their age.
Look at New Zealand and South Africa, they select the best, in form and ready for super rugby players.

Status
Not open for further replies.