• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2013 Waratahs under Cheika - Report Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I have been pondering whether the glass is half full, or maybe even 63% full. No one expected to win the comp in Cheika's first season, so we weren't disappointed there...

I think the move towards a running game has been a positive one, but it can only be step one - getting out of the existing rut. A problem with the Waratahs game at the moment is that it is still very one dimensional - run the ball (which is better than - kick the ball, badly). Running rugby as the default setting is a good thing, as long as it is not done when better options are there such as a good tactical kick. At this stage, I think the Waratahs lack a good kicking game (for goal and out of hand), and it is an essential element of a complete rugby team. I have a problem with the idea that it is either run or kick - run whenever it is on, kick if it is the best option....but that has to be practiced too.

I know that seems quite a negative assessment, but it is only one area. There are loads of positives to take from the season: culture change, squad overhaul, talent spotting and development...Cam Crawford, Israel Folau (I had huge reservations about him - more idealogical than personal - and of course he has been awesome), Will Skelton...the list goes on.

I hope 2013 has been step one, running rugby, on the way to total rugby.

Oh, and the report?

Great application with some improvement. Keep up the good work. Looking forward to next season.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
There are a few areas that need improvement if we are to take the next step:

1- Kicking game: ie develop one, its fine if running is always option number 1 but particularly in tight game we need an out and too often our clearing kicks seem to be kicked in hope that they may turn out well for us. Also we have some massive backs we need to use the cross field kick and garryowens a little bit more particularly when we have a penalty advantage.

2- Goal kicking: If we had a 90% goal kicker this thread would probably be appearing in about 2 weeks times. Like many skills in rugby this is one which is improved through rigorous training and practice. Lets hope our goal kickers have the hunger to do this.

3- Lineout: Too often in tight games this year the lineout has fallen to pieces, again this is an area which can be improved through good coaching and hard work. With Skelton lifting Dennis we should have safe ball on our throw ins and be able to pick off opposition ball.

4- Ticker: In all our tight losses we've made the wrong decision in trying to win the game. Decision making will get better with experience, however the players need to keep their cool under pressure as particularly on Saturday it looked like the half backs panicked and couldn't set up a simple drop goal opportunity.

We are building off a solid base for next season, and Cheika is the man to help us make the next step. Overall we'd probably get a 6.5/10 for the season. Lots to improve on, but there are lots of things to be happy about.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
C+ - Could do better

Attitude - better
Application - better

A little too dumb at times,
A little too much of not looking like they knew what they were to do next - so lets just keep playing quickly.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think the honeymoon period with Chieka is definitely over so I'd expect to see a lot more scrutiny over performances. While I would have loved to have had a mike in the change rooms for some of his half time sprays that turned performances around, I don't think that's a great strategy for success next year.

And as a Waratahs fan, those are words that come as second nature now ...

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
B - still can and will do better in 2014.

Think Cheika is building a culture at the Tahs and will be able to chose a few more players himself.

Reckon they will have a good 2014.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Pretty happy with 2013. They had two problems last season- they were fucking boring and they kept fucking losing.

Well this year they fixed the first one, and started to fix the second one.

We should be aiming at a finals spot in 2014.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
My biggest issue with them is the inconsistent execution, and an apparent leadership void at times. Some decision making has been excellent, but at times it is scatter-brained. Can't fault the aim and endeavour of waht Cheika wants to do.
Agree the out of hand kicking, which is essential (but happily not so overused this year) needs to improve.
Definitely must be aiming at top 6, and less than that would be sub-par, I reckon with the roster at hand.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I am a little concerned: I agree with nearly everything said.
My concern is that I dont see that any of the acquisitions are likely to address the identified shortcomings.
I have been on this hobby horse for some time: the combination of a salary cap and limits on the pool of player eligible for a contract make it extremely difficult fro a coach to get the squad he wants unless he can build that squad from the ground up.
I'm giving a pass.

Hardtackle

Charlie Fox (21)
Definitely a solid pass. There weren't any boo-able performances from their fans were there? From a spectators point of view they were a lot more watchable. Hooper and Folau were big plusses. Foley played 10 well, mostly.

Clearly they need to improve their kick from the hand and tee (same for all our teams really).

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
They were a lot fitter this year, that is a good start.

Some of their ensemble play looked okay.

However, no matter which game plan they choose, they have to be able to improve their execution. Some of the kicking has been diabolical, not to mention the handling.

Personally, I do not care which game plan they choose, if they are fit, understand the game plan properly, and execute the basics, they will be good to watch, and they should make the finals - although I fear that there will still be some holes in the squad. At 8, for example, the hooking back-up, five eighth (I do not share the widespread admiration of Foley, mainly because of his pathetic kicking), and goal kicking.

Betham in particular should go to play a summer of basketball, maybe that will teach him how to catch the friggin' ball.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
The bloke has been a breath of fresh air.

This year has been about taking a group of players he didn't pick and changing their default attitude to how to play the game. He has done a great job actually and next year when he has what he has his own cattle, the rest of the comp should watch out.

Never had any love for the Tahs but I really admire what he has done to the point I get excited about watching them play.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Cheika loves confrontation, both personally and for his team.
Most people equate confrontation with physical threat.
Cheika's favourite confrontation is confronting the truth.
He will not hold back if bullshit is evident in effort, discipline or performance and look out any impostor trying to get in his way.
Expect more of the same going forward, but with more believers in his throng.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Generally very happy. Yep, a long way to go, but the difference between this team and the one that finished 2012 is massive.

I agree with most of the comments above (except re Foley), particularly about the need to improve our execution and our kicking game, but compared to last year the style of play is way ahead, the speed of play is way ahead, the fitness is way ahead and the attitude is way ahead.

Also agree some great talent has been uncovered, Skelton, Folau, Crawford, Matt Lucas, Volavola. Some of these guys still have a way to go, but under Cheika I believe they will make that journey.

Finally, as to Foley, sure he is still a work in progress, but he plays like a genuine 10, and the Tahs haven't had one of those for a long, long time. He takes the ball to the gain line, he is constantly guiding his backs around the park, putting men into space, and runs well himself and so keeps the defence in two minds. He can also tackle! His kicking game needs to improve, and sometimes (last Saturday) his hands aren't up to the standard they need to be, but I reckon he's the goods.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The bloke has been a breath of fresh air.

This year has been about taking a group of players he didn't pick and changing their default attitude to how to play the game. He has done a great job actually and next year when he has what he has his own cattle, the rest of the comp should watch out.

Never had any love for the Tahs but I really admire what he has done to the point I get excited about watching them play.

Who are his own cattle and what issues do you see them addressing?

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Cheika's plans currently are too one dimensional, but I think that Cheika has addressed that by saying they need to learn that style before being able to suitably vary their game plan. Hopefully we'll see that next year. Having that base running game plus a good territory game on call would make the Tahs a very dangerous team with a variety of gears they can go up and down.

That being said, a much more enjoyable plan to watch than Foley's train wrecks. I hope the crowds start improving for the Tahs with their new game plan but it may sadly be reliant on a lot better results rather than just more attractive rugby.

Development of some players has been a big plus. Guys like Mitchell, Barnes could be a big loss, and, uhm, Timani, maybe, but there's guys like Crawford, Betham (sometimes), Horne at 12, Folau, Skelton who have done the job this year when called on. Beale next year could be another huge threat.

Two comments / criticisms:

- They have been slow to adapt to protecting their own ruck. With their expansive game plan, they were guilty of not protecting their own ruck a lot of the time as forwards were not there to commit, which Cheika blamed on refs. Which leads me to my second comment.....

- Too much whining about refs. Not necessary and not a good look. If you want to sway refs opinions, it can be done more subtly.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Well Dr Negative is in the house now.

My assessment of the season, well lets see. I would give them a credit. They exceeded my expectations this year. There are clear areas for improvement and I think they will be far better next year when Chieka has more of a chance to put his mark on the squad, as I posted before round 1 this year. I will expect bigger and better things next year. As always I will not judge them on the results in terms of table position etc. I judge them on how they play, the execution of the game plans and the execution of basic skills.

They get a credit this year because they changed greatly the way they played the game and managed to execute fairly well on average, exceedingly well in a couple of games and poorly in a couple more.

Can improve in:-

1) Kicking - from the hand and the tee. Only the Brumbies in Australian Rugby execute this aspect of play in anywhere near the level required. Just think if the Tahs had a decent kicker from the tee they would have pushed for the finals.
2) Game plans - I like others would like to see a more complete game, running the ball is great but to get the best from it a Rugby side must have the threat of well execute kicks to open up that little bit more space or else they will be confronted with a flat line of defence in every game.
3) Off season recruitment - the Tahs lack depth at 10 and 2. these are seriously undermanned from what I can see.
4) Fitness - the front rowers still seem to be carrying excess weight IMO, from the bulking up season of the Tahs in 2011. If we compare the Tahs front row to any other top line front row they fill their jersey's a little bit too well.
5) Skills execution - put the sprinklers on and train on a wet field with a wet ball. No sticky spray on the hands. Maybe even drag out the old leather ball and soak it in a bucket for an hour and then do passing drills. If the players can pass that cake of soap then they will be able to execute wet or dry. I am sick to death of Australian sides turning to shit the moment the dew forms or a light shower blows over.

Status
Not open for further replies.