• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2013 World Test XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zander

Ron Walden (29)
Based only on Test performances from 2013.

1. Tendai Mtawarira (South Africa)
2. Stephen Moore (Australia)
3. Adam Jones (Wales)
4. Sam Whitelock (New Zealand)
5. Brodie Retallick (New Zealand)
6. Tom Wood (England)
7. Michael Hooper (Australia)
8. Kieran Read (c) (New Zealand)
9. Aaron Smith (New Zealand)
10. Aaron Cruden (New Zealand)
11. George North (Wales)
12. Jean de Villiers (South Africa)
13. Ben Smith (New Zealand)
14. Willie le Roux (South Africa)
15. Israel Folau (Australia)

I have cheated a little by placing Ben Smith at 13, there were just too many quality outside backs to leave out and I don't think Conrad Smith or Jonathon Davies were stand outs.

something

Jim Clark (26)
http://www.rugby.com.au/News/NewsArticle/tabid/1699/ArticleID/10635/Default.aspx

this is the world xv as voted by the players
Alex Corbisiero (ENG), Bismarck du Plessis (SA), Adam Jones (WAL), Eben Etzebeth (SA), Sam Whitelock; (NZ) Liam Messam (NZ), Sam Warburton (WAL), Kieran Read (NZ); Aaron Smith (NZ), Aaron Cruden (NZ), George North (WAL), Wesley Fofana (FRA), Conrad Smith (NZ), Ben Smith (NZ), Leigh Halfpenny (WAL).
Players’ International Newcomer of the Year: Israel Folau (AUS)
Players’ Team of the Year: New Zealand

T

Train Without a Station

How can we possibly leave out Henry Speight, Kurtley Beale and David Pocock? Based on everything I've read, these players have to have been the best in their position even if they didn't play!

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
http://www.rugby.com.au/News/NewsArticle/tabid/1699/ArticleID/10635/Default.aspx

Alex Corbisiero (ENG), Bismarck du Plessis (SA), Adam Jones (WAL), Eben Etzebeth (SA), Sam Whitelock; (NZ) Liam Messam (NZ), Sam Warburton (WAL), Kieran Read (NZ); Aaron Smith (NZ), Aaron Cruden (NZ), George North (WAL), Wesley Fofana (FRA), Conrad Smith (NZ), Ben Smith (NZ), Leigh Halfpenny (WAL).

The players voting makes sense to me and would mirror my team.....except Sam Warburton wasn't the fifth best openside flanker in 2013. McCaw, Cane, Hooper, Louw and Dusautoir were all in front of him IMO. Also, though I might be wrong, I thought Fofana played 13 not 12???

Zander

Ron Walden (29)
Poorly done by them. I really wonder how good their actual international rugby knowledge is.

-Alex Corbisiero did not start a game for England all year. His only match for England was off the bench vs Argentina this November. He started in the 1st and 3rd Lions Tests. Maybe their criteria is just best player which he arguably is but he barely played all year.
-Sam Warburton.. ha ha. I could name 7 players better than him currently: Hooper, Louw, Cane, McCaw, Smith, O'Brien, Robshaw

I thought Fofana played 13 not 12???

Mostly 12 but he played 13 in the Six Nations and even wing!

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'm going to go with:
Woodcock, du Plessis, Mas, Etzebeth, Whitelock, Fardy, O'Brien, Read, du Preez, Cruden, North, de Villiers, C. Smith, B. Smith, Halfpenny

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)

How could Warbuton get picked in this team?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
This thread is ideal for our "off season".

I really can't see too many players in the World XV who are not Saffers or Kiwis.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Seen Warburtons name around in these lists a lot. Would definatly be having Louw or Hooper over him.

He is not all he's hyped up to be lately in my opinion.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Warburton has made this team on the back of captaining Wales to a 6 Nations victory and the Lions to victory over Australia.

I don't think that is necessarily a terrible decision. He certainly doesn't make the team on his play alone though.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Warburton has made this team on the back of captaining Wales to a 6 Nations victory and the Lions to victory over Australia.

He lost captaincy and his spot in the team after the Ireland game I believe, AWJ captained Wales for the majority of the 6 nations if I remember correctly. Warburtons captaincy win rate is pretty poor as well I think he has won 2 out of his last 12 games or something.

Wales Fan

Alfred Walker (16)
I wouldn't personally have Warburton there either (I'd have Tipuric at 7 for Wales every time), but him being voted there by fellow players means more than any of our opinions.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Not really. Genetic freaks they may be, they're still people. I don't buy the argument that because they were on the pitch that makes them intrinsically a better judge of how the other player played. If anything you miss a whole lot of what goes on in a match when playing, especially in the forwards.

I'd be interested to see the voting distribution, anonymously of course.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Not really. Genetic freaks they may be, they're still people. I don't buy the argument that because they were on the pitch that makes them intrinsically a better judge of how the other player played. If anything you miss a whole lot of what goes on in a match when playing, especially in the forwards.

You also miss a whole lot of what goes on in other test matches that happen around the same weekend you're prepping for your game. So a lot of players would be voting off the back of watching highlights and some would be voting having not seen any footage of the majority of test rugby played this year. I assume the only requirement to vote would be to be a member of the IRPA.

Wales Fan

Alfred Walker (16)

Fair comments, but they also have seen in depth stuff on the pitch that any of us wouldn't have a hope of seeing on tv or "live". It works both ways.
Wouldn't you hold Richie McCaw or Pocock's view on their toughest opponent in higher regard than an armchair warrior who only watches games on tv ?
It's all selective anyway of course and how any player plays depends on those around him. Someone like Louis Picamoles looks very good for a struggling France but how awesome would he be behind a totally dominant front five like SA ?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.