• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2014 Saffer Conference

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Bulls don't look as bad as was suggested. They surprised me last year.

Good to see the Stormers picked up Catkiller, he will be much more suited to their game plan than Jantjies.

I am not sold on Cat Killer, had a horrible CC final.

One place we'll see a massive improvement at the Stormers is their tight 5. Watch in 2014 how the likes of Botha/Etsebeth/Malherbe/Scarra/Ginga finally hit the right red wine age of fatties this year. Add the loosies like Vermeulen/Schalkie/Fourie/Kolisi/Carr/Elstadt and you sure will get to the sum and total of one of the best packs playing S15 rugby.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Kings vs Lions:
Kings:
15 Siviwe Soyizwapi, 14 Sergeal Petersen, 13 Ronnie Cooke, 12. Dwayne Jenner, 11 Michael Killian, 10 George Whitehead, 9 Jaco Grobler, 8 Devin Oosthuizen, 7 Darron Nell (captain), 6 Paul Schoeman, 5 Rynier Bernardo, 4 Steven Sykes, 3 Charl du Plessis, 2 Dane van der Westhuyzen, 1 BG Uys

Substitutes: 16 JC Olberholzer, 17 Lizo Gqboko, 18 Vukile Sofisa, 19 Stephan Zaayman, 20 Stephan Greeff, 21 Thembelani Bholi, 22 Sonwabo Majola, 23 Dwayne Jenner/Brian Skosana, 24 Ntabeni Dukisa

Lions:

15. Andries Coetzee, 14. Chrysander Botha, 13. Lionel Mapoe, 12. Stefan Watermeyer, 11. Courtnall Skosan, 10. Marnitz Boshoff, 9. Michael Bondesio, 8. Warren Whiteley (captain), 7. Derick Minnie, 6. Jaco Kriel, 5. Franco van der Merwe, 4. Rudi Mathee, 3. Julian Redelinghuys, 2. Willie Wepener, 1. Schalk van der Merwe

Substitutes: 16. Robbie Coetzee, 17. Jacques van Rooyen, 18. Corne Fourie, 19. Willie Britz, 20. Warwick Tecklenburg, 21. Faf de Klerk, 22. Willie du Plessis, 23. JW Jonker

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Bulls 19-26 Stormers
Kings 12-19 Lions
Blue Bulls 24-26 Golden Lions (Vodacom Cup/2nd teams)
Cheetahs 31 - 6 Pumas

Fridays warmups
17:00: Lions vs Cell C Sharks - Ellis Park
17:00: EP Kings vs DHL Stormers - Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Just saw a clip on Total Rugby with Schalk Burger. He looks a lot like BJ Hunntcut with that mo.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Hmmm. All South African teams must now be majority black. What's the story here, guys?

Is this empty election campaigning or will we be seeing an influx of white South African players into AUS/NZ/UK?
Mbalula ups Boks, Proteas quotas

Mon, 07 Apr 2014 8:43 AM​
The Springboks, the Proteas and Bafana Bafana will be banned from representing South Africa at international events if 60 percent of the on-field team is not made up of black players.​
Sports Minister Fikile Mbalula said that a new quota for black player representation would come into immediate effect as there was a "lack of willingness in implementing transformation, especially the enforcement of quotas".​
Mbalula had a meeting with provincial MECs over the weekend, where the decision was taken to up the quota system from 50% to 60% representation of black players across all the national teams, especially rugby, cricket, football, netball and athletics.​
The new quota would take effect immediately, with the rest of the resolutions to be implemented before the new government takes office following the May 7 general elections.​
The sports mininster said that any sporting body that fails to comply with the new quota would have its funding pulled and the ministry of sport would block any sponsorship of the sporting code. The bidding and hosting of sports events would also be illegal without government approval.​
"[We will] withdraw the national colours of any federation that is hell-bent on the current set-up and status quo," Minister Mbalula said in a Times Live report.​
"The Minmec [ministers and MECs] recommended that it must happen right away. We are going to engage and inform rugby and all the other sporting codes that this is something that has to happen.​
"[We will be demanding] development plans from the South African Rugby Union, South African Football Association, Cricket South Africa, Athletics South Africa and Netball South Africa as a matter of urgency and with immediate effect."​
"Transformation is not going to be easy so we have to talk to them. I have instructed my people to engage the private sector equally because they are the biggest investors in sports transformation and sports in general," he said.​
The SA Rugby Union and Cricket South Africa have called for more clarity on the new resolutions, while Sasco president Gideon Sam and Lions cricket coach Geoff Toyana were in favour of the new resolutions.​

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Wow. That's a crazy quota system. I would have thought the high quotas at the level below would be more effective in bringing more diversity to the professional game in each sport whilst still maintaining the ability to pick close to the best side possible.

With 60% for the Springboks, that is 14 out of the 23 players.

Let's see how that could work:

1. Mtawarira
7. Kolisi
11. Mvovo
14. Ndungane

16. Nyakane
17. Mbonambi
19. Carr
21. Jantjies
22. de Jongh
23. Aplon

So that's 11 out of the 23 which is still 3 short of that quota and I've selected several people who shouldn't make the team on form and ability alone.

The fact that there are pretty much no locks, number 8s and halfbacks that would improve the quota makes it really difficult to get to 14 players.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
The fact that there are pretty much no locks, number 8s and halfbacks that would improve the quota makes it really difficult to get to 14 players.
Yeah, seems like a cunning plan, alright.

I suspect this is mostly to do with the impending election. But if not, there'll be a lot more saffers in Perthfontein.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Yeah, seems like a cunning plan, alright.

I suspect this is mostly to do with the impending election. But if not, there'll be a lot more saffers in Perthfontein.
Michael Hawker was saying recently that 13% of Perth's population are South African born, no wonder the Force are getting on so well.

personally, i think the quota system is great for Aussie rugby;)

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Michael Hawker was saying recently that 13% of Perth's population are South African born, no wonder the Force are getting on so well.

personally, i think the quota system is great for Aussie rugby;)
They certainly add to the rugby demographic.

Although if Michael Hawker actually said that then he's wrong. :)

Stick to the ABS stats, though, because there are not 220k+ Saffa-born people in Perth. However, they would be the 3rd most numerous OS-born group in Perth, after Poms and Kiwis.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
What would be the financial impact on the SANZAR TV Rights negotiations that are up for grabs next year if the Saffer teams were hamstrung by quotas?

Would the rusted on supporters still buy pay TV subscriptions if the Bokke were not competitive with the Darkness or Wobs?

Has there been any mention of these sort of quotas being imposed on the Currie Cup and Super Team franchises?

lemoen

Ted Fahey (11)
There were talk last year of a quota system at the vodacom cup level (1 below the Currie Cup) that will be enforced I think.

This 60% quota at all levels is probably just election talk...

Mank

Ted Thorn (20)
Same stuff every election. Politicians, always full of hot air, not willing to actually do anything beneficial.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Shorks vs Cheetahs.
Amazing to see this score is 3-3 at half time. The Cheetahs games so far this year have seen about 500 points scored. 3-3 is unheard of in 2014 vintage.

Status
Not open for further replies.