• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratah Cup/ Shield 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Sounds like it might be a forfeit. Forfeits are recorded as 28-0 in many competitions.

Can't see Oakhill being too keen for a Waratah Shield game today as the ISA rep trials are on this week, and I would think many of the Oakhill 1st XV would like to try out for ISA Rep team.

Edit: ISA Thread confirms that their trials were today. Can't see Oak's agreeing to a Waratah Shield gamewith Daramalan on the same day as the ISA Trials (post #23).

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Sounds like it might be a forfeit. Forfeits are recorded as 28-0 in many competitions.

Can't see Oakhill being too keen for a Waratah Shield game today as the ISA rep trials are on this week, and I would think many of the Oakhill 1st XV would like to try out for ISA Rep team.

Edit: ISA Thread confirms that their trials were today. Can't see Oak's agreeing to a Waratah Shield gamewith Daramalan on the same day as the ISA Trials (post #23).

Correct HJ. Augs and Oak didn't play 1st XV last week in deference to ISA trials today. No way would Oakhill have played Waratah Shield today.

sarcophilus

Charlie Fox (21)
The post earlier said Monday the 12th
through the void of information I heard a whisper that Dara did not turn up, I hope I am wrong and there is still a match to play
unfortunately holes are often turned into longdrops filled with all sorts of detritus. sometimes people accidentally drop something valuable but mostly approach at an angle that wont allow this to happen

pilot

Allen Oxlade (6)
There is now a 2014 draw up on Schools Tribune but I cannot confirm if this is correct or not. There doesn't appear to be any Waratah Cup this year. ie. No qualification finals for the bulk of the NSW school teams. That's really disappointing if this is the case.

Looks like pool groups A B C D with 3 teams in each pool. C being the hardest group if there is one. (Stannies, Marist, Westfield Sports HS) Stannies most likely. Auggies would be the favourites in pool A, Knox in pool B and Oakhill in pool D.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
There is now a 2014 draw up on Schools Tribune but I cannot confirm if this is correct or not. There doesn't appear to be any Waratah Cup this year. ie. No qualification finals for the bulk of the NSW school teams. That's really disappointing if this is the case.

Looks like pool groups A B C D with 3 teams in each pool. C being the hardest group if there is one. (Stannies, Marist, Westfield Sports HS) Stannies most likely. Auggies would be the favourites in pool A, Knox in pool B and Oakhill in pool D.

So 12 schools in the whole of NSW and the ACT have entered?:(

exISA

Fred Wood (13)
Ive said it before and ill say it again , the prestige the waratah shield once had was gone many years ago . Its why it irks me when St Edmunds canberra was held in the same breath as Joeys/Riverview etc when they had their run of wins of the shield when the opposition was clearly inferior . The argument was put to rest in 2004 when Joeys handed eddies their proverbials on a plate . The last time i Think the shield was worth while was the year pats strathfield won it with the "after the siren kick" against Marist after they thought they had won (1996) .

Wood Rat

Alfred Walker (16)
Are there still no results from the other three games that were meant to have been held by now?

Sideline Eye

Darby Loudon (17)
So 12 schools in the whole of NSW and the ACT have entered?:(

I know there are Waratah Cup games scheduled, but blowed if I can find any sort of draw or schedule online... All I can confirm is there are a number of public schools attending "Round 1 of the Waratah Cup at Hurlstone Agricultural College on 29 May 2014”.

The draw for the Waratah Shield on the Schools Tribune website, however, doesn't seem to have allowed for this. Very strange - usually there is a spot left in the quarter finals for winner and runner-up IIRC (or something like that)?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So according to files found following ICAC and ASIO intervention it would appear that there is a fundamental change in the way Waratah Shield is to be run this year. Instead of a knockout format, 4 pools of 3 teams will compete round robin style before the knock out quarter finals, semi finals and final.

Pool A
Endeavour Sports High School
St Augustines College
Farrer Agricultural College

Pool B
Hills Sports High School
Trinity Goulburn
Knox Grammar

Pool C
Westfield Sports High School
St Stanislaus College
Marist College ACT

Pool D
Prairewood High School
Daramalan College ACT
Oakhill College

1/4 Finals before 23 July
QF1. Winner Pool A vs Runner Up Pool B
QF2. Winner Pool B vs Runner Up Pool A
QF3. Winner Pool C vs Runner Up Pool D
QF4. Winner Pool D vs Runner Up Pool C

Semi Finals on 13 August
SF1: Winner QF1 vs Winner QF2
SF2: Winner QF1 vs Winner QF2

Final on 27 August
Winner SF1 v Winner SF 2

Calling it now. Final between Oakhill and St Augustines.

Is there seriously only 12 schools across NSW/ACT that entered the Waratah Shield competition for 2014?

The game is stuffed.

Is it time to retire the Waratah Shield to protect what prestige and reputation it once had?

pilot

Allen Oxlade (6)
It would be nice to know exactly what is going on with the Waratah Cup / Shield.
Are they running 2 comps? If that is the case how did they determine who qualifies for the Shield?
Is it the NSWRU that run this?

In any case, from a half glass full perspective, here are the positives of the Waratah Cup / Shield;

Students / Players get a day off for each game :)
Coaches / Teaches get a day off for each game :)
Principal probably gets a case of beer for signing off on the application :)
(Coaches at the AAGPS schools can't afford a case of Moet to get the bosses signature :(0

If the boys are happy playing then keep it going.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
So according to files found following ICAC and ASIO intervention it would appear that there is a fundamental change in the way Waratah Shield is to be run this year. Instead of a knockout format, 4 pools of 3 teams will compete round robin style before the knock out quarter finals, semi finals and final.

Pool A
Endeavour Sports High School
St Augustines College
Farrer Agricultural College

Pool B
Hills Sports High School
Trinity Goulburn
Knox Grammar

Pool C
Westfield Sports High School
St Stanislaus College
Marist College ACT

Pool D
Prairewood High School
Daramalan College ACT
Oakhill College

1/4 Finals before 23 July
QF1. Winner Pool A vs Runner Up Pool B
QF2. Winner Pool B vs Runner Up Pool A
QF3. Winner Pool C vs Runner Up Pool D
QF4. Winner Pool D vs Runner Up Pool C

Semi Finals on 13 August
SF1: Winner QF1 vs Winner QF2
SF2: Winner QF1 vs Winner QF2

Final on 27 August
Winner SF1 v Winner SF 2

Calling it now. Final between Oakhill and St Augustines.

Is there seriously only 12 schools across NSW/ACT that entered the Waratah Shield competition for 2014?

The game is stuffed.

Is it time to retire the Waratah Shield to protect what prestige and reputation it once had?

My predictions in post #4 have proved to be largely true, although even I didn't think it would get this bad.

Couldn't have run a knockout with 12 teams. 12 to 6 to 3 doesn't work.

I can understand why the Waratah Cup schools don't come into the main draw. Hopefully they will play their final on the same day as the shield.

So sad, but what's even worse is that the powers that be either don't know how bad it is or don't care.

This is the culmination of 20 years of decline.

3 state sports high schools
3 ISA schools
2 ACT private schools
1 CAS school
1 State selective boarding school
1 systemic catholic school
1 State comprehensive

EDIT: Only 5 schools from the whole CHS system.

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
My predictions in post #4 have proved to be largely true, although even I didn't think it would get this bad.

Couldn't have run a knockout with 12 teams. 12 to 6 to 3 doesn't work.

I can understand why the Waratah Cup schools don't come into the main draw. Hopefully they will play their final on the same day as the shield.

So sad, but what's even worse is that the powers that be either don't know how bad it is or don't care.

3 ISA schools
2 ACT private schools
1 CAS school
1 State comprehensive

I think is has been mentioned before -- that the government schools don't have the resouces or the interest among the staff to have rugby programs. Why go into a race with a Porche like Oakhill when your a Kia.

It is a competition when perhaps the top 3 to four teams from each association and the sports highs should compete. It may be evolution as some schools ahve become more serious about rugby.

I am not sure how the leadsership addresses that issue particularly government schools and the many catholic schools that don't run programs.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I think is has been mentioned before -- that the government schools don't have the resouces or the interest among the staff to have rugby programs. Why go into a race with a Porche like Oakhill when your a Kia.

It is a competition when perhaps the top 3 to four teams from each association and the sports highs should compete. It may be evolution as some schools ahve become more serious about rugby.

I am not sure how the leadsership addresses that issue particularly government schools and the many catholic schools that don't run programs.

It has been mentioned before and I'm one of the one's who've mentioned it.
:)

sarcophilus

Charlie Fox (21)
It would be interesting to hear the reasons for non involvement by Kinross, St Pats or any other of the old regulars, Is there a AAGPS style boycott because one of their affiliates try too hard?

Not wanting to exclude anyone but how did Trinity Goulburn get a guernsey in this

Seeing St Dominic's Penrith have a representative on the NSW schools Rugby board will we be seeing that school take interest in Rugby Rugby

Is this an embryonic facsimile of a Monday to Friday cross association association

has there been any exit interviews or was it all said at the secrete squirrel club get together and not repeatable ,

I know we have to wait around 30 years for cabinet meeting notes to come out, by then the time of interest in any forensic investigation of this corpse will be long past

Gary Owen III

Syd Malcolm (24)

3 ISA schools
2 ACT private schools
1 CAS school
1 State comprehensive

I notice that the Bryan Palmer Shield (Primary Schools) is underway and there is about 55 schools entered this year across NSW.

But the most noticeable statistic is that of these teams only 8 are from the Sydney Metro area - and all of those 8 are from North Shore and Northern Beaches.

The push to revitalise the game needs to start at the primary school level in the West and South.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
It would be interesting to hear the reasons for non involvement by Kinross, St Pats or any other of the old regulars, Is there a AAGPS style boycott because one of their affiliates try too hard?

Not wanting to exclude anyone but how did Trinity Goulburn get a guernsey in this

Seeing St Dominic's Penrith have a representative on the NSW schools Rugby board will we be seeing that school take interest in Rugby Rugby

Is this an embryonic facsimile of a Monday to Friday cross association association

has there been any exit interviews or was it all said at the secrete squirrel club get together and not repeatable ,

I know we have to wait around 30 years for cabinet meeting notes to come out, by then the time of interest in any forensic investigation of this corpse will be long past

You don't have to "get a guernsey" if you enter you're in.;)

Unfortunately there's nothing embryonic about this competition, it's down to 12 schools, whereas once most state schools in Sydney with any sort of rugby presence would enter.

Status
Not open for further replies.