• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratah Cup/ Shield 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

torps77

Stan Wickham (3)
yes sounds about right. Not sure who won Westfields v Stannies but i would expect that Daramalan would have beaten Prairiewood

highball

Frank Row (1)
So does anyone know if the winner of the Waratah Cup still gets a spot in the Waratah Shield or doesn't that happen anymore?

Old Joker

Bob McCowan (2)
Augustines are playing Farrar at Rat Park on Wednesday morning. 10am kick off I believe.

Thanks, I am aware of that, but it is a pool game. I am wondering about the QF games. The draw says they are all to be played on 26/7 at one venue. Need to plan so we can go to the Super Semi.

Old Joker

Bob McCowan (2)
I finally got some sense out of NSWRU re the Waratah Shield QFs. The QFs are scheduled for 23/07 at this stage. Because there are still 2 pool matches to be played, the venue can't be decided until the seeds are known. The 2 pool matches to go are Auggies V Farrer and Stannies V Westfields, both to be played tomorrow. There is some flexibility to change the QF date. I would suggest that Auggies will be the top seed, even though I am a Farrer supporter, I can't see them beating Auggies by more than 70 points to gain top seed in Pool A, and whoever wins in Pool C between Stannies and Westfields, would need to win by 70 points or more to catch up to Auggies. So I would assume that the QF will be played at Auggies.

Old Joker

Bob McCowan (2)
Auggies beat Farrer 42-7. Score was 12-7 at half time. But the score wasn't indicative of the game. It blew out in the last 15 minutes when a couple of crucial injuries and fitness took their toll on Farrer. John Papahatzis apparently said it was one of the toughest games they have played this year. Well done to both teams for a fair and tough game

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Auggies beat Farrer 42-7. Score was 12-7 at half time. But the score wasn't indicative of the game. It blew out in the last 15 minutes when a couple of crucial injuries and fitness took their toll on Farrer. John Papahatzis apparently said it was one of the toughest games they have played this year. Well done to both teams for a fair and tough game

Did the Augustine's rep boys play? They would have had a lot of rugby in the hols and also some injuries too I think.

Old Joker

Bob McCowan (2)
Did the Augustine's rep boys play? They would have had a lot of rugby in the hols and also some injuries too I think.
I wasn't at the game, just got reports. But apparently Auggies made a few replacements in the 2nd half so I assume that they put their gun players in.

torps77

Stan Wickham (3)
I finally got some sense out of NSWRU re the Waratah Shield QFs. The QFs are scheduled for 23/07 at this stage. Because there are still 2 pool matches to be played, the venue can't be decided until the seeds are known. The 2 pool matches to go are Auggies V Farrer and Stannies V Westfields, both to be played tomorrow. There is some flexibility to change the QF date. I would suggest that Auggies will be the top seed, even though I am a Farrer supporter, I can't see them beating Auggies by more than 70 points to gain top seed in Pool A, and whoever wins in Pool C between Stannies and Westfields, would need to win by 70 points or more to catch up to Auggies. So I would assume that the QF will be played at Auggies.

I think the crossover matches are between Pools A and B (1st in A v 2nd in B, 2nd in A v 1st in B) and the same with C and D so the result between Westifelds and Stannies wont effect that section of the draw?

Jasdec

Ted Fahey (11)
Waratah Shield match between Farrar and The Hills Sports High School in Dubbo next Wednesday @ 10am. Caltex Oval.

highball

Frank Row (1)
Waratah Cup match tomorrow for a spot in the qf, St Pauls Manly vs Brisbane Waters Woy Woy, hopefully going to be a good match, to bad that the cup winners don't have a spot in the shield qf anymore :(

Jasdec

Ted Fahey (11)
Knox have forfeited to Augustines.o_O

I wonder if it had anything to do with these previous results and the CAS season?

ROUND 3 - By 13 June
POOL A
ISA St Augustines College 41 7 Farrer MAHS CHS
POOL B
CAS Knox Grammar 19 60 Hills Sports HS CHS
POOL C
ACT Marist College 20 25 Westfields Sports HS CHS

Monty Python

Ted Fahey (11)
Waratah Cup match tomorrow for a spot in the qf, St Pauls Manly vs Brisbane Waters Woy Woy, hopefully going to be a good match, to bad that the cup winners don't have a spot in the shield qf anymore :(

I believe the Waratah Cup and Waratah Shield are now separate competitions, each with their own finals series. But the finals will be played on the same day (Wed 27 August) along with the finals for the Arthur Buchan Shield, Richard Shaw Shield, 15’s Girls Shield and Bryan Palmer Shield. Location: T.G.Milner. Kick-off times: TBC.

The known Waratah Cup semi-final qualifiers so far are:
1. Epping Boys HS (Sydney West)
2. Merewether High (Northern NSW)
3. Brisbane Water Secondary (Sydney North)
4. Erindale College (ACT 1)*

There was a play-off in Cowra yesterday (Wednesday 23 July) between the following schools, with the winner being the 4th team in the semi-finals with the above three confirmed semi-finalists:
- Erindale College (ACT 1) Winner*
- Lake Ginninderra (ACT 2)
- St Joseph's Albion Park (Illawarra)
- St John's Dubbo (Western NSW)

Does anyone know the result of the above play-off in Cowra yesterday?

In other news, I heard Epping Boys HS 1st XV won their Sydney Comprehensive State Schools grand final v Muirfield HS yesterday at T.G.Milner. Score: 44-0.
* Updated based on later results report

sarcophilus

Charlie Fox (21)
I don't know if some of the international troubles have caused a world shortage of black pixels! or some of you are just saving the little dots that make up the letters for school assignments or you are just whispering to each other

can you please use a larger font for some of us with failing eyesight and non stretchable computer screens can share in you information with a little more ease

sarcophilus

Charlie Fox (21)
Its a great result for Epping Boys and even better that they haven't had to play two finals on the same day as they did last year

It seems the government schooling system places some importance on the principles of meeting commitments given. Other schooling systems seem to be more focussed on producing solicitors and politicians and teach their students this is less important. Though quoting Marxist ideas may not be celebrated often at these schools they may well have his incisive
"Those are my Principles and if you don't like them I have others"
as a cornerstone of education

A shame one of these Cup finalists are not given the opportunity to fill voided quarter finals positions

If a team has forfeited semi or quarter finals twice in the last three or four years do you think the people running the comp could suggest the school now has a need to demonstrate a commitment to the comp by participating in the cup and not the prestigious shield. The contempt for the competition shown by that school will only continue to damage any residual value that competition may hold. If that school insists on only year 10 and 11 players as representatives in this comp that may be a reasonable level for them anyway

unfortunately we do not know the reasons for the configuration of the competitions and any results are poorly reported

Status
Not open for further replies.