• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratah Cup/ Shield 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sideline Eye

Darby Loudon (17)
Weather.JPG

Sideline Eye

Darby Loudon (17)
Or they just get out there and get on with it tomorrow, and get wet and muddy.

First results through in today's State knockout finals:

Buchan Shield U16s - Epping Boys High School 19 def Griffith High School 17.
Nail biting match which see-sawed all game and could have gone either way. Griffith had some large units who hit the opposition's line continuously, while Epping probably had more speed and skill with good ball retention and probably coming out on top in the penalty count. Great match to watch as both teams were tenacious to the end and played to their relative strengths.

The referee was excellent, no cards or warnings, and played in a great spirit by both teams. The rain and wind were quite wild at times, and annoying, but the field was in good nic and not much mud, so it didn't hamper some good open running and expansive rugby. Well done to both teams, coaches and supporters, and congratulations to Epping Boys on their victory today.

Will be interesting to see how Epping Boys' 1st XV goes later today v Brisbane Waters at T.G.Milner in the final of the Waratah Cup.

Shane Smeltz

Fred Wood (13)
@TroyAndrew has just reported St Augustine's are the Waratah Shield winners again, 20-10 v Oakhill.
On the GAGR twitter feed.

Hopefully someone who watched the match will put a report up here.

Also a report and results from the Cup final between Epping Boys and Brisbane Waters too.

Wood Rat

Alfred Walker (16)
I think the weather was Ideal for the game SAC are most likely to have wanted to play today.
It took Oak Hill 8 minutes to score their first points, in a manner most expected, with a penalty goal. This was after fairly predictable final conservative football.
SAC then took control of the ball and the game and scored a return penalty goal at approximately 14 into the game. the remainder of the half saw SAC almost deny the existence of any number over 8. Set pieces and general play was dominated by the pack, creating five try scoring opportunities. Only two of these were taken advantage of before half time.
15-3 at oranges
The second half was even scrappier but the next try was scored by SAC early through a long range try to L. Lough unconverted leaving the score at 20-3
Oak Hill could no longer rely on just their goal kicker to accumulate points and attempted to attack at any opportunity. They did not succeed until their 9 scored a try after full time and convert to bring the OAK's score to 10
A game played with some passion as you might imagine between these two teams.

Sideline Eye

Darby Loudon (17)
Also a report and results from the Cup final between Epping Boys and Brisbane Waters too.

The result was Epping Boys 13 def Brisbane Waters 12. A great result for the same High School to win the State-wide knockout in both 16s (Buchan Shield) and Opens (Waratah Cup).

I noticed that the inimitable L.Grant esq was at both the Waratah Cup and Shield Games, so hopefully there'll be a decent match report with a few names included, but there wasn't a program (that I could see) so I can only give a general 'gist of the game' report.

T.G.Milner started off looking pretty green but with several torrential downpours during the match, the middle of the field got pretty muddy pretty quickly, which affected the quality of the play. However, as with the Buchan Shield match, it was a relatively even see-sawing game with both sides giving it everything they had.

Epping was much stronger in the set plays, and consistently pushed Brisbane Waters off the mark to win a number of tight heads, and won at least half a dozen of the Brisbane Waters lineouts. Despite this dominance in the forwards, the Epping boys seemed to find it difficult to get points on the score board. Fairly early on on the fist half there was a try, conversion and penalty, taking the score to Epping 8 and BW 7.

This score held for most of the second half until BW went over for a try with around 10 mins to go, taking the score to BW 12 and Epping 8. It was a hard slog in the wet and Epping maintained good control of the ball and consistently hit it up in the forwards, and swung it out wide, but couldn't find a way through the solid defence of BW.

BW was already celebrating and Epping supporters were conceding the win, but with 2 minutes to go, Epping approached the BW try line through some good mauling, and then looked set to pick and drive to the line - to either score on the bell, or get held up over the line. But a quick shuffle out to the short side saw the ball pass through two sets of hands and the winger stroll over for a meat pie right at the death. The kicker sucked up the last 60 seconds of game time, and missed, leaving the final score: Epping Boys 13 def Brisbane Waters 12.

Congratulations once again to Epping Boys, their coaches and all their supporters. A great day for their school. I also heard it was the last game for the Epping Boys' 1st XV coach (Bruce Jacobs, I think) who has been doing the job for the last 15 years or there-avouts, and so a great way to retire from coaching duty as well.

CB Set

Peter Burge (5)
A friend suggested that I go and watch what he promised to be an exciting game. And without a doubt the Waratah shield final was an exceptional performance of anthletic ability. Congratulations goes to St Augustines on a fantastic win through the piggies in the knee deep mud.
Excellent game to watch with big hits, strategic play and a whole of pestering of each others teams.

Points go to

Oakhill-
3 points-Halfback
2 points-openside flanker
1 point-fullback (for taking the huge hit he got)

St Augustines
3 points-Number 8
2 points-Hooker
1 point-2nd Rower (5)

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I noticed that the inimitable L.Grant esq was at both the Waratah Cup and Shield Games, so hopefully there'll be a decent match report with a few names included, but there wasn't a program (that I could see) so I can only give a general 'gist of the game' report.

More like the inevitable Lee Grant.

I did have a programme but I lent it to somebody and forgot to ask for it back and he forgot to give it back; so I have to fudge my report a bit.

Monty Python

Ted Fahey (11)
More like the inevitable Lee Grant. I did have a programme but I lent it to somebody and forgot to ask for it back and he forgot to give it back; so I have to fudge my report a bit.

Waratah Cup match report
By Lee Grant

Epping Boys High School won in the last play of the game: 13-12.
You had to feel sorry for Brisbane Waters because they fought hard to get the lead near the end, but full marks to Epping who believed in themselves and fought to the death to win.

Click here for Lee's blog post on the game.

Hunter

Frank Row (1)
It has been great reading all the thoughts on the Waratah Cup this year. Which I think is great being a split comp.

I am the coach of Brisbane Water Secondary College, who lost in the last minute to Epping in the final of the Waratah Cup.

Seeing as a bit has been said about my team including a great report of the game by Lee, I thought I would add a bit. And by the way, the number 7's name is Bruce Waia-Terare and the fullback is Nicho Hynes.

Out of all my boys that played, only 1 of them currently plays for a union team. (His first year of it) My entire team is made up of Rugby League players. We did get knocked around in scrums and lineouts, which we did expect because these are League boys. It was a pity it was wet, as the backs are amazing in the dry with ball in hand.

So just thought I would give a bit of a background to the boys. The fact that they made the final and almost won, against a rugby union school, is a massive credit to the boys

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
, I thought I would add a bit. And by the way, the number 7's name is Bruce Waia-Terare and the fullback is Nicho Hynes.

Out of all my boys that played, only 1 of them currently plays for a union team. (His first year of it) My entire team is made up of Rugby League players.

So just thought I would give a bit of a background to the boys. The fact that they made the final and almost won, against a rugby union school, is a massive credit to the boys

I added those names in for posterity.

That was a marvelous effort by your lads Hunter given the details you have mentioned. Although the set pieces were a bit ropey I would not have twigged that they were all league players.

They should be congratulated on their fine effort and for their character.

May I also congratulate them on their on-field behaviour?

We have a number of Sydney schools who provide rugby union teams for these contests and they also have boys who get selected for rugby union rep sides—but the lads are mainly league players.

Unfortunately too many of these lads are involved in thuggery. I'm not saying that unions boys are innocent of such behaviour but the league boys have more than their fair share of thugs - at least in Sydney they do.

No such accusation can be made against your fellows - they played the game in a wonderful spirit and were a credit to their school and yourself.

I hope that Brisbane Water Secondary College keeps providing teams for the Waratah Cup.

Cheers

Lee Grant

Hunter

Frank Row (1)
Thanks Lee,
I will pass that on to the boys. I was very proud of how they handled the defeat, it is always hard when you lose in the final part of the game.

It has taken a little while for the boys to recover, they were guttered.

Yes, hopefully we are back next year, 8 of my starting team were year 11 & 10. So should have an ok team next year, esp with a year of Union under their belts.

Sideline Eye

Darby Loudon (17)
They should be congratulated on their fine effort and for their character.

May I also congratulate them on their on-field behaviour?
I hope that Brisbane Water Secondary College keeps providing teams for the Waratah Cup.

I agree 100% with Lee - exemplary on-field attitude and behaviour from both teams. There were a couple of very minor chest-beating moments, but the game was played in excellent spirit and either team could have won on the day. As Lee said in his report - it was a shame that one team had to loose.

Lastly, attached, from the local paper around Epping way...

NDT Sept 3 2014 - EBHS Waratah Cup and Buchan Shield wins.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.