• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2015/16 Rugby 7's Round 4 - Sydney 6/7 February

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
20150827-Sydney7s.png

It's on this weekend and it's a sell out.

Here is the draw:
http://www.rugby.com.au/sydney7s/MatchDay.aspx

Pool A:
NZL, AUS, CAN, POR

Pool B:
SAF, KEN, SCO, RUS

Pool C:
FIJ, ARG, SAM. FRA

Pool D:
ENG, USA, JAP, WAL

Our Games:
AUS v POR 6 Feb Kick off @ 13:34 AEDT
AUS v CAN 6 Feb Kick off @ 17:32 AEDT
AUS V NZL 6 Fen Kick off @ 21:03 AEDT

Standings:
http://www.worldrugby.org/sevens-series/standings

1 - SOUTH AFRICA: 13, 22, 19 (Total 54) (Up 1 place)
2 - FIJI: 22, 13 , 17 (Total 52) (down 1 place)
3 - NEW ZEALAND: 15, 10, 22 (Total 47) (Up 4 places)
4 - ENGLAND: 19, 7, 15 (Total 41) (Up 1 place)
5 - ARGENTINA: 10, 19, 12 (Total 41) (Down 1 place)
6 - USA: 17, 12, 10 (Total 39) (Down 3 places)
7 - AUSTRALIA: 12, 10, 13 (Total 35) (Up 1 place)
8 - KENYA: 5, 15, 10 (Total 30) (Up 1 place)
9 - FRANCE: 8, 17, 3 (Total 28) (Down 3 places)
10 - SCOTLAND: 7, 8, 7 (Total 22) (no change)
11 - SAMOA: 10, 3. 8 (Total 21) (no change)
12 - CANADA: 3, 5, 5 (Total 13) (Up 1 place)
13 - WALES: 5, 5, 1 (Total 11) (Down 1 place)
14 - JAPAN: 2, -, 5 (Total 7 ) (Up 1 place)
15 - RUSSIA: 1, 2, 2 (Total 5) (Down 1 place)
16 - PORTUGAL: 1, 1, 1 (Total 3) (No change)
17 - ZIMBABWE: -, 1, - (Total 1) (No change)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Some doubt over Quade Cooper so it seems, because he is only arriving in Olde Sydney Towne on Wednesday.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...inty-to-make-australia-debut-at-sydney-sevens

Interim coach Scott Bowen says the talented playmaker needs to prove himself on the training paddock before they make a final call on his selection.

"It will depend a lot about when he arrives, and what sort of shape he is," Bowen told the Daily Telegraph.

"He had a game to play on Sunday evening, and is expected in on Wednesday.

"If he arrives and is in really good nick, and we're a bit busted, then it becomes a good possibility.

"But arriving on Wednesday he would only be able to complete one field session and if we have guys who are getting through and performing well, it may be less likely. It is a wait and see situation at this point."

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Well he only played 55mins for Toulon so should be fine.

Whack him in there and let's have Quade v SBW on Saturday night!

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Quade won't be going to Rio, in order to make that he has to be training full time for 7s.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
All Blacks Sevens squad for Sydney (two to be omitted): Kurt Baker, Dylan Collier, Sam Dickson, Akira Ioane, Reiko Ioane, Gillies Kaka, Ben Lam, Tim Mikkelson, Lewis Ormond, Augustine Pulu, Ardie Savea, Regan Ware, Sonny Bill Williams, Joe Webber

After Sydney the Ioane bros & Lam* go back to the Blues & won't be available for 7's until the last two Legs. It'll be interesting to see how/ if they can transition back.

EDIT: * also Ardie Savea.

BaysideBird

Bill Watson (15)
I think SBW has committed to NZ sevens for the rest of the season, so it will be interesting to see how he progresses as the season continues.

Jeeper

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Thought the name sounded familiar, Dylan Collier played u20s for the Warriors.. How's he going in Union?

I think Aussie 7s need to look at some more reserve grade leaguies.. It's just embarrassing seeing how poor our team is. We desperately need more pace and agility.. Would be great if Shannon Walker was able to stay on!

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Can't imagine Mourad would be too keen to allow any further releases if we don't even pick the bloke.

Not without plenty of monetary compensation anyway.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Are mind games being used to generate column inches and click bait, or is Andy Friend genuinely not going to pick QC (Quade Cooper) for this weekend?
http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/q...s/news-story/0524386100a8970f7393f138b3bb2e07
Someone needs to explain 7's to Andy.
You can't 'win' the plate or the bowl at the Olympics.

If we had a winning team,then 'outsiders' have to earn their spot over the incumbents.
Unfortunately,our squad has demonstrated that whilst willing,they are a grade below what is required.
What's the downside of playing Quade this week,and see him get embarrassed?

The logic that we took him away for a week from Toulon and didn't bother playing him,cos we will just get them to release him for one more game than they agreed to,is ridiculous.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't think Quade will be a good a 7s player but I totally agree! If we were making finals and winning events than yeah exclude him but our current team is shit. What's there to lose!? Our series ranking is 8. We can't win the series and the ranking means nothing going into the next series.

edit: Quade confirmed out. No Killingworth either. Not a great start Andy.

Qantas Australian Sevens Squad for the HSBC Sydney 7s:
Sam Myers
Tom Cusack
Ed Jenkins (c)
Con Foley
Allan Faalavaau
Tom Kingston
Lewis Holland
James Stannard
Cam Clark
Greg Jeloudev
Henry Hutchison
Henry Speight

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
No Quade.

Qantas Australian Sevens Squad for the HSBC Sydney 7s:
Sam Myers
Tom Cusack
Ed Jenkins (c)
Con Foley
Allan Faalavaau
Tom Kingston
Lewis Holland
James Stannard
Cam Clark
Greg Jeloudev
Henry Hutchison
Henry Speight

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Oh good,I look forward to another honest 5th or 6th with our 'stronger' squad in place.....
It reminds me of the saying if you keep on doing what you're doing,you keep getting what you've got.

Lets just remember our 'strong' squad,is so good we literally scraped in to even qualifying for the Olympics.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
We should get 4th. Assuming we lose to NZ we play the Eng/USA in the quarters and then Fiji (decent record vs them lately).`

Status
Not open for further replies.