• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2015 Schools Rowing

Status
Not open for further replies.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
Tha
I applaud your response Lindommer.

It is like the CHS - Combined High Schools Regatta coming up in March at Taree - the boys and girls who row for clubs but not attend GPS schools have a great time. Last year it was a lot of fun - GPS Rowing as mentioned several times before is a small part of the rowing world.

It is like a boy who attends a GPS school being a National water skier - the school releases him to compete. What GPS school has a water skiing department.

Common sense has to prevail.

I say again rowing is a life long sport - it should be actively encouraged and supported. It is an expensive sport for a school to take on and I agree it is a shame that Wenona has no longer got a rowing program.

A boy from Penrith who is a very successful young rower - he rows for SRC now - his school supported him rowing and he had to design a zootie so he could race at the CHS.

24 days it will all be over for this season - and nobody ever really locked the GPS season dates in - it is a summer sport.

Perhaps we should all join in and sing row row row your boat - thank goodness we are not in an VIII trying to get run on a boat.
What he said.
It seems reasonable to discuss Schools Rowing broadly in this thread.
Dunno.... With the garrulous postings from outside of GPS, I don't think I'll be able to wade through it all with my crappy wi-fi. I know it has to go up to space and back but I fear there will be too much other stuff about schools....

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
I applaud your response Lindommer.

It is like the CHS - Combined High Schools Regatta coming up in March at Taree - the boys and girls who row for clubs but not attend GPS schools have a great time. Last year it was a lot of fun - GPS Rowing as mentioned several times before is a small part of the rowing world
It is like a boy who attends a GPS school being a National water skier - the school releases him to compete. What GPS school has a water skiing department.

Common sense has to prevail.

I say again rowing is a life long sport - it should be actively encouraged and supported. It is an expensive sport for a school to take on and I agree it is a shame that Wenona has no longer got a rowing program.

A boy from Penrith who is a very successful young rower - he rows for SRC now - his school supported him rowing and he had to design a zootie so he could race at the CHS.

24 days it will all be over for this season - and nobody ever really locked the GPS season dates in - it is a summer sport.

Perhaps we should all join in and sing row row row your boat - thank goodness we are not in an VIII trying to get run on a boat.
That must be MD.... Very good sculler but doing it tough rowing from a school that doesn't have a rowing programme. That's why there are clubs who provide facilities for juniors or youngsters.
All for supporting rowers at every level and I'm especially keen to get GPS or any other rowers or scullers to keep there rowing up after school.

Just think there's room for another rowing forum.... Though it seems symptomatic of a current social trend to just muscle in on previous paradigms and start taking over rather than making the effort to start something great from scratch.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
I do think out of kindness - Behindtheshed was just answering questions.

Now for my question - do the coaches that are ex Olympic rowers actually complete the coaching Levels or are they just given a free pass to coach?

James Chapman was said to be coaching Newington early in the forum but nobody has commented on him hanging around the shed and if he has his presence has not produced any boat speed. Did he get bored ??? Or did something better come along with a bigger pay cheque?

Another NZ rower was spotted at SIRC with a Joeys crew was that a one of - I have my sources even though I am far away.
Also I believe the NZ coach at Joeys is a 'friend of a friend'. Nothing more sinister than that....having World Champion pedigree is always good on th CV.

L

LBA

Lindommer - aka Forum God. Thou speak or type the words and it shall be done. Forum name change.

I am nervous to post anything now - but what the hell I am living dangerously in my old age.

"Little Pig" you live in a barn with bad internet connection speak to the farmer.

I did not say it was a sinister thing to see an NZ rower being supportive of my adoptive GPS school. I have changed my avatar to show my support to the GPS school I hope wins the majority of the races at the School Boy Head of the River and the AAGPS Head of the River.

I support having as much Pedigree on any pontoon as the next - but what I do not like is anybody putting their hand up to help but not committing. Talking the talk is one thing but walking the walk is another.

I do not think it is fair to the Newington crew. They would have been very happy to have a JC as a coach but in actual fact they have two coaches. If you want to coach - show up and be as committed as the boys.

If you cannot commit - make a guest appearance. I believe that you need to work as a crew - coach and crew over a season whatever that season is - you form a connection. You trust your coach and your cox and your crew members.

I guess it reminds me of how I learn't to drive many years ago - you bunny hop and make mistakes - but with practice and commitment you get past first gear and eventually you can double shuffle. Then you learn to tow a boat trailer.

Right internet banking done and a quick post - I hope you approve God. Wishing everybody safe travelling to SIRC and great rowing. No grinding of gears - or clashing of oars :p:p:p

Geoff Geoff

Frank Nicholson (4)
LBA... seems one of the other coaches for Newington VIIIs is Richard Wearne, have on good authority was hanging around the boats at PLC Kings regatta.

Joeys look the goods in the VIII be surprised if they get beaten. On the Shore scratching question id say Shore just went home to try something different, not much to lose given Joeys have their measure at the moment... Joeys underating the shore crew and walking away at the 1500 mark seems omninous for a good time at HOTR

Shore & Joeys both looking good in the IV's but some funky results across the board there including Kings boats.

well see after this weekend i guess

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
Congrats to Loreto Normanhurst with a strong win over Pymble.
0ffd2a96-36d0-4d6e-9764-4a74147fea3e

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
Think Joeys are scratching from U19 Final... Three races is enough.
Buggered their first 1000m in the SBVIII but a great 2nd 1000m for Joeys. From 5th to 2nd means they finish well....

oarsome

Allen Oxlade (6)
Think Joeys are scratching from U19 Final. Three races is enough.
Buggered their first 1000m in the SBVIII but a great 2nd 1000m for Joeys. From 5th to 2nd means they finish well..

Impressed that the joeys boys typically even split their races.

However it was interesting to see that the Shore boys stuck around for a fourth race and finished in at 5.59.

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
HOTR 2015 predictions:
1st VIII Joeys
Shore (but closer than they've been all season
Riverview/Kings

2nd VIII Scots
Shore
minor places anyone's guess

Now I must study the form guide for the Year 8 6th quads this weekend. Totally thrown by that Scots DNS.

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
Second week running DNS. There was a crew change mid-week, with a new stroke, which may have been a factor last Saturday.
It's the untold story of GPS rowing this season. I despair for Scots' chances at HOTR 2019 if this continues. Possibly deserving of its own thread.

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
It's the untold story of GPS rowing this season. I despair for Scots' chances at HOTR 2019 if this continues. Possibly deserving of its own thread.
Just to put rowing in perspective - one Shore HOTR winning crew contained 3 members who where in the Year 8 6th quad. Not many other sports can boast that sort of progression.
PS they all rowed after school!

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
Btw I think having seen Kinross wipe the floor with 41 points at State compared with the top 2 GPS contendersJoeys 8 Shore 1 I think the jury is in on this thread not being confined to GPS. Well played, Lindommer.

Major Rennie

Herbert Moran (7)
Great effort from Kinross though not sure the GPS schools aim to win this points score. all abt HOTR and Nationals for the 1st VIII.

If interested in reading abt Shore the school website has the Shore Weekly Record which gives an inside view of last weeks races. Probably more insightful than this thread......looking fwd to the next few weeks of racing.

MR

http://www.shore.nsw.edu.au/

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
Thanks MR, I love a squiz at a school newsletter.
Can anyone shed light on the "All Schools Regatta"???
Listed as GPS but I don't recall its existence pre-2015.

L

LBA

Wish I knew behindtheshed - maybe AAGPS called it "All Schools Regatta" because each GPS school has had a turn at hosting a Regatta. The AAGPS wanted another Regatta in the season so they made that name up. I am thinking the juniors will attend and the seniors will attend SRC at SIRC.

Don't know really - but the above was my guess - I am interested as well to find out the truth if my guess was "bull shit".

Not long now until this very big race !! Less than six minutes.

Kinross always performs which tells me whatever recipe their coaches use has been tried and tested. Sorry for the cooking reference but I could not think of anything else.

They would only be able to work with the students they have and it never seems to stop them winning. So I am going around in circles - coaches picking crews and allowing them to train and bond and get faster. This is a good thing - changing out crews all the time does not allow this to happen.

I do think that unless something goes really wrong - Joeys 1st VIII will win the AAGPS HOR - photo finish between Joeys and Shore but. Riverview then Kings.

2nd VIII Scots - Joeys could not improve that much now. They had a window and but is now shut.

But there has been sickness around - so all rowers have to go into hiding so as not to get sick. Shore boys move into the Shed anyway. So that is a good thing for them. Eat Sleep Row - think I have seen that on a t-shirt:)

What ever will be will be ! It has been a very interesting season and I hope I have contributed to the forum in a positive way.

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
Wish I knew behindtheshed - maybe AAGPS called it "All Schools Regatta" because each GPS school has had a turn at hosting a Regatta. The AAGPS wanted another Regatta in the season so they made that name up. I am thinking the juniors will attend and the seniors will attend SRC at SIRC.

Don't know really - but the above was my guess - I am interested as well to find out the truth if my guess was "bull shit".

Not long now until this very big race !! Less than six minutes.

Kinross always performs which tells me whatever recipe their coaches use has been tried and tested. Sorry for the cooking reference but I could not think of anything else.

They would only be able to work with the students they have and it never seems to stop them winning. So I am going around in circles - coaches picking crews and allowing them to train and bond and get faster. This is a good thing - changing out crews all the time does not allow this to happen.

I do think that unless something goes really wrong - Joeys 1st VIII will win the AAGPS HOR - photo finish between Joeys and Shore but. Riverview then Kings.

2nd VIII Scots - Joeys could not improve that much now. They had a window and it is not shut.

But there has been sickness around - so all rowers have to go into hiding so as not to get sick. Shore boys move into the Shed anyway. So that is a good thing for them. Eat Sleep Row - think I have seen that on a t-shirt:)

What ever will be will be ! It has been a very interesting season and I hope I have contributed to the forum in a positive way.
If there was ever a window for Joeys 2nd VIII it is long shut. All Scots and Shore in that division.

Status
Not open for further replies.