• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2015 IRB Junior Rugby World Cup - Italy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Final score was 47-19 to Oz U20s.

Pleash was reserve hooker - played well too.

Placid looked seriously injured (knee) and was on arm crutches afterwards - must be in doubt.

A pity about the rain - a lot of dropped ball.

girtbysea

Ted Fahey (11)
Placid is an amazing talent and has had a horrible luck with injuries. Not good. He is easily the U20s best option at 15.

Did not see the game at all but Sam Hyne (wing tonight for Baa Baas) has been close to Brothers best back (at fullback) in the Brisbane Prem Grade comp and is U20. For some reason not wanted by Qld U20 selectors. Will declare a Brothers bias here but the kid can seriously play. How did he go tonight ?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Australia U20’s 47 (Michael Gunn 2, Lukhan Lealaialoto-Tui, Fereti Saaga, James Dalgleish, Riley Winter, Tyrel Lomax tries; Andrew Deegan 3, James Dalgleish 3 cons) defeated the Australian Barbarians 19 (Sam Hyne, Joel Whitlock, Nuku’alofa Swerling, tries; Mitch Walton, Andrew Robinson cons)

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
So Michael Gunn is the future George Smith/David Pocock??

Australia continues to make good openside flankers

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Placid is an amazing talent and has had a horrible luck with injuries. Not good. He is easily the U20s best option at 15.

Did not see the game at all but Sam Hyne (wing tonight for Baa Baas) has been close to Brothers best back (at fullback) in the Brisbane Prem Grade comp and is U20. For some reason not wanted by Qld U20 selectors. Will declare a Brothers bias here but the kid can seriously play. How did he go tonight ?

Placid is brilliant though brittle and some of the options he takes under pressure are whacky. He has a point of difference though.

Hyne was outstanding with the few open chances that the Baas had.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
150519%20Aus%2020%20v%20Babas.jpg

ARU Media Unit report on the game has been posted here:
http://www.rugby.com.au/News/NewsAr...arians-in-pre-World-Championship-hit-out.aspx

FrontRowFan

Herbert Moran (7)
Heard 2 rumours, but can't vouch for their reliability: 1) injury cloud 2) dropped from the squad. I think 1) is most likely. Can anyone confirm?
Option 2 is highly unlikely.
Tournament play requires a team of 23 to have two complete competent and capable front rows and 3 competent locks. If they were going to drop a hooker from the 28, then they would have another called up right now, and that replacement would need maximum time on the field to get up to speed with the team structures and patterns, strategy and tactics.
I'm going for the injury explanation, and obviously Coach is satisfied that it will be right in time for the Jnr RWC otherwise a shadow hooker would have been called up and be "doing a Redden".
Pleash was reserve hooker - played well too.
Seems Pleash was the stand in Qld hooker, unless someone additional has been called up to the extended squad and didn't play last night. Still no word on Connal's whereabouts. Was he on the sideline?

B

Bobby Sands

I'd like to see Hanigan go back to lock and Lolo come into the backrow against the Saffas. The more quality we have on the park the better, and I'm not sure that either of the other two locks are as good as Hanigan.

If not Lolo, than I would be equally happy with Camp.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
How did the 2 Vic boys play?

Saw that Fereti had a try, but otherwise not much, after Sione struggled for opportunity on the Gold Coast and Fereti got a pasting at tighthead.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
How did the 2 Vic boys play?

Saw that Fereti had a try, but otherwise not much, after Sione struggled for opportunity on the Gold Coast and Fereti got a pasting at tighthead.

Sione was outstanding - see my blog of the game here:

http://goo.gl/oT424x

But the replacement 12 Duncan P was excellent also.

I didn't notice Fereti much but the scrums were OK when he was on.

Gristlechewer

Charlie Fox (21)
I'd like to see Hanigan go back to lock and Lolo come into the backrow against the Saffas. The more quality we have on the park the better, and I'm not sure that either of the other two locks are as good as Hanigan.

If not Lolo, than I would be equally happy with Camp.
Definitely agree with Hanigan statement, but you can see with his speed that he is destined to be a 6 and maybe an 8.
I would also say Kamp for overall workrate and carrys. Will form an very good understanding with M Gunn as he plays a similar role to both Johnson (NSW 20's '14) and Baldwin (Aus 20's '13) from his home club. Having Ned Hanigan combining there will be a lethal breakdown.

rugby roo

Peter Burge (5)
Saw the game last night , a bit scrappy but the whole squad got unloaded and was a little bit of drizzle early and how dark is it at that venue.
I can think of far better venues (lighting wise ) for this game.
I agree that Hyne played well and displays all the sttributes of a very good winger.
I enjoy watching the Kellaways(both boys) but I believe Andrew is more dangerous and better suited to an orthodox winger position but roving in attack on his opposite side like recently in Canberra where he displayed such intelligence in reading the opportunities.
The burden of Captaincy and pressure to perform is enough to worry about without trying to slot into other positions that dont suit his style of play, yet.
I saw him last year in NZ when they played him at 15 and it didnt suit him either I thought.
Same with Hanigan, I think he is best at 4 in this squad.They can rely on the speed and nouse of Croke and Kamp at 6 and Wilkin and Gunn at 7.
This helps the Korsyk , Lolos and Hannigans to effect their big rumbles .
would love to see some of these forwards combine more in attack paired up and bound on the wider fringes of the ruck meeting defence on the advantage line.
It is effectively a maul when they do meet defence and cannot be pulled down for fear of gving away penalties.
I think this squad could be very effective with this tactic
Anyway the coaching staff will have explored all these avenues I guess.
Hope a speedy recovety for the 15 as he didnt look too good on crutches after game.
The Aus replacement goalkicker gave another good display of his craft.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Both goal kickers were good and kicked conversions from touch as part of that.

The kicking from hand from everybody was effective also because the chase was good.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
So Michael Gunn is the future George Smith/David Pocock??

Different player and not as good as those two at the same age.

A good ball runner though. Adrian Thompson said to me last night that he needed to get stuck in where the ball is more - and it was a fair call - and he did so in the match, which pleased the coach.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)

A good ball runner though. Adrian Thompson said to me last night that he needed to get stuck in where the ball is more - and it was a fair call - and he did so in the match, which pleased the coach.

Ok. Do u remember the openside flanker of last year? Rowan Perry, that kid is good. Or at least he was during the tournament

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)

I was suprised with the coaches comment about getting involved in tight more. Everytime I've watched him play (since he was 17), he is involved in nearly everything.

He is more in the Hooper mould in terms of ball running and speed, but he is also very good on the ball and usually gets a handful of pilfers/forced penalities a match.

Again, that's just what I've seen from his Easts & Brisbane City games.

Status
Not open for further replies.