• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2015 IRB Junior Rugby World Cup - Italy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It is refreshing to hear a coach actually speak their mind instead of the standard gobbledegook weasel words we usually hear from them.

It reinforces much of what is wrong with junior and schoolboy rugby selections. The kids doing the glamourous things tend to attract the eye of the sideline clipboards.

The kids doing the sh!tty little 1 % tasks in the darkness of the rucks, mauls and breakdowns often get overlooked in favour of the seagulls that swan around with the princesses. In the helter skelter of junior (and colts) rugby, Coaches can usually get away with not having the meat and two vege players. These deficiencies become readily apparent in Senior Grade and higher footy, and for many players it is too late to learn the basic graft of their trade at that time.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Ok. Do u remember the openside flanker of last year? Rowan Perry, that kid is good. Or at least he was during the tournament
If you go back through the tournament he gave away quite a few penalties at the breakdown. He seemed to compete at the wrong times in the ref's eyes. Has he grown at all since then?

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
I was suprised with the coaches comment about getting involved in tight more. Everytime I've watched him play (since he was 17), he is involved in nearly everything.

He is more in the Hooper mould in terms of ball running and speed, but he is also very good on the ball and usually gets a handful of pilfers/forced penalities a match.

Again, that's just what I've seen from his Easts & Brisbane City games.
M Gunn is a great 7 for his age. He also has still very young D Pocock in front of him. An aging M Hodgson who is playing as though he is 20 still. Jordy Reid from the Rebels is only 23 and in dire need of a haircut.
You then have L Gill who is just 22 and then M Hooper who is the incumbent.
I really rate M Gunn as a 7, as in 2012 schools he smashed all bar one loosie and has continued on with much joy in the brisbane comp.
All I ask is that you let the man mature please.He doesnt need to be thrown in to the shitfight that is the reds at the moment. He will be better for staying away from there at the moment.
I wish him the best for the tournament.
On a side note, it was great to see a lot of the boys on their day off head to their respective school/clubs games yesterday. It was noted by all

Good luck men

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
M Gunn is a great 7 for his age. He also has still very young D Pocock in front of him. An aging M Hodgson who is playing as though he is 20 still. Jordy Reid from the Rebels is only 23 and in dire need of a haircut.
You then have L Gill who is just 22 and then M Hooper who is the incumbent.
I really rate M Gunn as a 7, as in 2012 schools he smashed all bar one loosie and has continued on with much joy in the brisbane comp.
All I ask is that you let the man mature please.He doesnt need to be thrown in to the shitfight that is the reds at the moment. He will be better for staying away from there at the moment.
I wish him the best for the tournament.
On a side note, it was great to see a lot of the boys on their day off head to their respective school/clubs games yesterday. It was noted by all

Good luck men
No one is (or was) comparing him to the current Super Rugby players?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
FOX SPORTS to broadcast U20’s World Rugby U20 Championship matches

FOX SPORTS will broadcast every Australian U20’s match live in the World Rugby U20 Championship in Italy, commencing June 3.

Australian Rugby Union (ARU) General Manager Pathways and Performance, Ben Whitaker said:

“It is a fantastic outcome that FOX SPORTS has continued their support of the next generation of Qantas Wallabies by providing live coverage of this year’s World Rugby U20 Championship.

“Our Head Coach Adrian Thompson, his staff and the Super Rugby U20 programs have worked hard to ensure that we have a quality side that will represent Australia on the global stage.”

Australia will head to Italy looking to build on its strong showing in the Oceania Rugby Junior Championship where it finished runners up to the Junior All Blacks.

The squad contains Asteron Life Super Rugby and Qantas Australian Sevens experience with Jonah Placid from the Melbourne Rebels, Lolo Fakaosilea, Michael Gunn, Campbell Magnay, Duncan Paia’aua, and Adam Korcyzk from the Queensland Reds, Andrew Kellaway from the NSW Waratahs and Brad Wilkin from the Qantas Australian Sevens squad.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Well not every game because there's usually 2-3 on the same time. But last year they showed a game where possible and would hope they do the same again.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Last year I am pretty sure they just showed the Aussie games, and then perhaps just the final? Maybe the semis?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Last year I am pretty sure they just showed the Aussie games, and then perhaps just the final? Maybe the semis?

I remember quite a few extra games being shown. Part of it may have been due to the tournament being in NZ and there not being a lot of other live sport to show during the middle of the day.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think nearly all the games were shown live from the NZ tournament, and IIRC the majority of the games from the SAF tournament as well.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
While it is great news for those with Foxtel (and Foxtel IQ to record the games for more user friendly viewing), the devil is in the detail and like most things there are consequences.

Typically when Pay TV (Foxtel) have rights to broadcast World Rugby games, the free live stream is geoblocked in the countries where Pay TV are broadcasting the games.

As I say good news for the Foxtel folk and not so good news for those without.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
The answer is to use a VPN, or failing that, a different Geo service like Zenmate or Hola, albeit Hola is not an ideal choice.

looking through the rights holders, Germany would look to be the best choice for streaming, if you were so inclined. Mainland Europe outside the French broadcasting zone in general looks good. Pacific outside the Samoan and US territories. Africa and South America seem to be dead zones for no discernable reasons. Same for the middle East.

I'll stick with the Germans, which I'll need for the Scotland Games.

Status
Not open for further replies.