• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2015 NRC Barbarians Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I don't think the games are really a promotional opportunity. They are trying to get them broadcast over here. Whether that's on tv or live streamed I don't know.

T

TOCC

I don't think the games are really a promotional opportunity. They are trying to get them broadcast over here. Whether that's on tv or live streamed I don't know.

I imagine it will come down to whether SkySports NZ wants to broadcast the game, Foxtel isn't going to fly a crew to New Zealand just to televise this match. But if SkySports do all the hard yards then Foxtel will likely be happy to pick up the live feed.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

Wow - that sounds wrong from marketing perspective

Next generation of super rugby or wallabies

Aru needs some professional marketing help if can't sell this or professional adminstrator ( afl dude available or poach David gallop)

Very sad - rugby not at that level to leverage

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I imagine it will come down to whether SkySports NZ wants to broadcast the game, Foxtel isn't going to fly a crew to New Zealand just to televise this match. But if SkySports do all the hard yards then Foxtel will likely be happy to pick up the live feed.

My assumption is all things good about strength of nz rugby is sky sports will televise... Correct me if wrong

Blind Freddy

Bob McCowan (2)
Tuesday 10 November: Game One, NZ Heartland XV vs Australian Barbarians; Levin Domain, Manawatu-Wanganui; 5.30pm NZT / 3.30pm AEDT, Broadcast details to be announced

Friday 13 November: Game Two, NZ Heartland XV vs Australian Barbarians; Cooks Gardens, Wanganui; 6.00pm NZT / 4.00pm AEDT, Broadcast details to be announced

Any news of broadcast details?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Maybe @Waiopehu Old Boy, or one of our NZL readers may have some mates still left in Levin that can get along to the game and either do a match report and/or take some photos for G&GR?

Charlies son Bob

Stan Wickham (3)
19F744C4-049A-8EAE-8F1D19FC70B0B02A.jpg
15 OCT 2015
Rugby fans in the lower North Island have an exciting opportunity to see the stars of the Pink Batts Heartland Championship and Australia's National Rugby Championship in action, with three fixtures confirmed for the New Zealand Heartland XV Series 2015.
The matches will be hosted by the Wairarapa Bush, Horowhenua Kapiti and Wanganui Unions at their home grounds in November.
New Zealand Heartland XV v New Zealand Marist
Saturday 7 November at 6.00pm
Trust House Memorial Park, Masterton
New Zealand Heartland XV v Australian Barbarians
Tuesday 10 November at 5.30pm
Levin Domain, Levin
New Zealand Heartland XV v Australian Barbarians​
Friday 13 November at 6.00pm
Cooks Gardens, Wanganui
Tickets will be available at the gate.
The New Zealand Heartland XV will be named on Wednesday 21 October

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
New Zealand Heartland XV 2015 Series Fixtures and Naming

19F744C4-049A-8EAE-8F1D19FC70B0B02A.jpg

15 OCT 2015
Rugby fans in the lower North Island have an exciting opportunity to see the stars of the Pink Batts Heartland Championship and Australia's National Rugby Championship in action, with three fixtures confirmed for the New Zealand Heartland XV Series 2015.
The matches will be hosted by the Wairarapa Bush, Horowhenua Kapiti and Wanganui Unions at their home grounds in November.
New Zealand Heartland XV v New Zealand Marist
Saturday 7 November at 6.00pm
Trust House Memorial Park, Masterton
New Zealand Heartland XV v Australian Barbarians
Tuesday 10 November at 5.30pm
Levin Domain, Levin
New Zealand Heartland XV v Australian Barbarians​
Friday 13 November at 6.00pm
Cooks Gardens, Wanganui
Tickets will be available at the gate.
The New Zealand Heartland XV will be named on Wednesday 21 October
I did not realise Harry Jones was only 19 - gives different perspective to me on his potential knowing that....

Might be bit more on offer for Harry Jones for higher honours than I thought

Charlies son Bob

Stan Wickham (3)
The matches, to be played at venues in the North Island between 7–13 November, will see the team first play New Zealand Marist for the McCrae Cup before going on to face Australian Barbarians on two occasions.

The 25-man New Zealand Heartland XV squad, which has been selected from the Pink Batts Heartland Championship 2015, sees 10 of the 12 Heartland Provincial Unions represented.

The New Zealand Heartland XV squad for 2015 is:

Cole Baldwin (Wanganui)
Jackson Donlan (Mid Canterbury)
Matt Fetu (South Canterbury)
Ralph Darling (North Otago)
Timaru Tafa (South Canterbury)
Kurt Simmonds (Wairarapa Bush)
Adam Ross (Mid Canterbury)
Craig Moore (Buller)
Eric Duff (Mid Canterbury)
Fraser Hammond (Wanganui)
Bryn Hudson (Wanganui)
Peter Rowe (Captain) (Wanganui)*
James Goodger (Wairarapa Bush)
Hayden Anderson (Thames Valley)
Lindsay Horrocks (Wanganui)
Zayn Tipping (King Country)
Stephen Perofeta (Wanganui)
Tim Priest (Wairarapa Bush)
Moss Doran (Thames Valley)
TK Moeke (East Coast)
Lemi Masoe (North Otago)
Lance Easton (Thames Valley)
Tyrone Keith (Thames Valley)
James Hemara (King Country)
Mike Tambour (Horowhenua – Kapiti)

Wanganui flanker Peter Rowe returns as captain for a fifth time after having been at the helm in 2010, 2012, 2013 and 2014.

Mid Canterbury’s Grant Keenan and Poverty Bay’s Mutu Ngarimu will coach the team. Keenan said they had the right blend of skill and experience for the team to be competitive in the upcoming series.

“Mutu and I are very excited with the squad that’s been selected. Each player has excelled for their respective province and deserves their selection in the side.

“We’ve selected a blend of youth and experience within the backline and a forward pack which will provide a strong set piece and physicality in the breakdown area.

“As a coaching group, we’re well aware of the quality of athletes that the touring Australian Barbarians will bring and understand that we each need to be at our very best during the upcoming matches in Levin and Wanganui.

“The New Zealand Marist XV will also provide a perfect build-up to the touring Australian Barbarians and will ensure we’ll be well prepared for our traditional rivals in Masterton on 7 November.”

The New Zealand Heartland XV squad will assemble in Wellington on 4 November ahead of their first match in Masterton on 7 November.

The Australian Barbarians team has been chosen from players that have played in the 2015 Buildcorp National Rugby Championship and have not been contracted to Super Rugby clubs in the most recent season.

Charlies son Bob

Stan Wickham (3)
LYNN MCCONNELL 07 NOV 2015 GETTY IMAGES
New Zealand's Heartland XV opened their three-game programme with a 47-42 win over New Zealand Marist in Masterton on Saturday evening.

Up 31-14 at half-time, the Heartland side had to withstand a Marist team who threw caution to the wind in a bid to get back into the game.

However, coach Grant Keenan was pleased with the way the Heartland side held its structure. They had created four good tries in the first half, and while they didn't take some of the chances they developed in the second half there was plenty to be pleased with in the performance.

Substitutions in the second half upset some of the flow, but Keenan said he was pleased with the approach that the Marist side took because he expects it will be the sort of play seen from the Australian Barbarians who play the next two games against the Heartland side in Levin on Tuesday and in Wanganui next Saturday.

Much attention in the game was focused on the 18-year-old Wanganui Collegiate first five-eighths Stephen Perofeta and he hadn't disappointed showing some superb control during the game and Keenan predicted he would have 'a huge future'.

As it is he made an impressive start by managing the rare feat of scoring all four ways in the game with a try, six conversions, three penalty goals and a dropped goal for a personal haul of 29 points.

Keenan said he and assistant coach Mutu Ngarimu were pleased with the way the side had come together in the days preceding the game and there had been great excitement in the squad ahead of the Marist encounter. Others to show out had been halfback Lindsay Horrocks, who proved a brave defender, lock Adam Ross who was strong with the ball in hand in the first 50 minute and captain and lock Eric Duff had proved very stable.

The side will travel to Palmerston North to be based at the Rugby Institute there for the rest of the week and travelling to the matches on the day.

While not a lot was known of their Australian opposition, they knew their average age was about 23 and they have a solid group of Australia Under-20 players, three who have played Sevens for Australia and two or three Super Rugby players.

"There is real excitement in the side and for many of these players it is the highest level most of them will have the opportunity to play," Keenan said.

"We want to play some real Heartland rugby with elbows and knees going and to play the full 80 minutes like we played the first 40 tonight," he said.

Scorers: NZ Heartland XV 47 (Lemi Masoe 2, James Hemara, Cole Baldwin, Stephen Perofeta tries; Perofeta 5 con, 3 pen, dropped goal) New Zealand Marist 42 (Penalty try, Sean Begg, Chris Crichton, Mick Strachan, Nemani Waka, Mike Buckley tries; James Hawkey 6 con. HT: 31-14

Charlies son Bob

Stan Wickham (3)
Apologies Rugby Nutter- seem to have crossed into your post. I don't think Harry Jones on tour. Number of changes advised on 6th November - see NRC website
CHANGES TO AUSTRALIAN BARBARIANS SQUAD FOR NZ TOUR

11/6/2015
By ARU Media

imageResize.ashx
Jed Gillespie has been called up to the Barbarians squad for the tour of NZ (Image: Getty)​
The Australian Barbarians selectors have been forced into changes for the tour of New Zealand after six players were either injured or deemed themselves unavailable.

The Greater Sydney Rams pairing of Jed Gillespie and Larry Hermens have been called up while Perth Spirit's Harry Scobel is included as the squad's second hooker.

Lock Nick Palmer and winger Jack Pennington, both of CSU Country Eagles, have been drafted in. Twenty-eight-year-old flyhalf Isaac Thompson - who started six games throughout the 2015 Buildcorp National Rugby Championship campaign - including the Semi-Final and Grand Final - also earns selection.

Hayden Hirismaki (Queensland Country), Luke Holmes (North Harbour Rays), Matt Philip (Sydney Stars), Reece Hodge (North Harbour Rays), Andrew Robinson (Sydney Stars) and Charli Clifton (CSU Country Eagles) have all stepped aside.

The squad departs for Wellington on Saturday morning.

The 26-man Australian Barbarians squad was chosen from players that have played in the 2015 Buildcorp National Rugby Championship not contracted to Super Rugby clubs in the most recent season.

The Australian Rugby Union has learned that the two-match series with the Heartland XV will not be broadcast on any platform and will revert to current World Rugby Laws of the Game. Fans can keep-up-to-date with the latest news and views from New Zealand throughout the tour via BuildcorpNRC.com.au, the official @BuildcorpNRC Twitter account and Buildcorp National Rugby Championship Facebook page.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
No broadcast. No streams. No nothing. Hook into the @BuildCorpNRC twitter account for details.

Would love to fly over, but work, money, reality...

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Shame it's not being broadcast but not really surprising given there's nobody of even Super Rugby standard in either team (yours by design, ours by the fact anyone with the potential to make AB's and/ or Super Rugby gets scooped up pretty much straight from school these days).

Maybe @Waiopehu Old Boy, or one of our NZL readers may have some mates still left in Levin that can get along to the game and either do a match report and/or take some photos for G&GR?

I reckon @Dan54 would have better connections than me, he being an Athletic RFC stalwart from way back...........

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Barbarians team

1. Cameron Orr (Greater Sydney Rams)
2. Ryan Dalziel (CSU Country Eagles)
3. Duncan Chubb (Melbourne Rising)
4. Ben Hyne (Brisbane City)
5. Phil Potgieter (Queensland Country)
6. Dean Oakman-Hunt (UC Canberra Vikings)
7. Rowan Perry (UC Canberra Vikings)
8. Pauli Tuala (CSU Country Eagles)
9. Mitch Short (CSU Country Eagles)
10. Isaac Thompson (UC Canberra Vikings)
11. Maalonga Konelio (Perth Spirit)
12. Rodney Iona (UC Canberra Vikings)
13. Tom Hill (North Harbour Rays)
14. Larry Hermens (Greater Sydney Rams)
15. Paul Asquith (Greater Sydney Rams)

Reserves
16. Harry Scoble (Perth Spirit)
17. Jed Gillespie (Greater Sydney Rams)
18. Tyrel Lomax (UC Canberra Vikings)
19. Nick Palmer (CSU Country Eagles)
20. Waita Setu (Brisbane City)
21. Sam Figg (CSU Country Eagles)
22. Dewet Roos (Greater Sydney Rams)
23. Andrew Robinson (Sydney Stars)

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
That's no a bad team, but surely there's a better uncontracted tighthead running around than good auld chubby. No offence to the lad, but he's really a loosehead that can play 3 a bit.

Sent from my LG-P713 using Tapatalk

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Barbarians team

1. Cameron Orr (Greater Sydney Rams)
2. Ryan Dalziel (CSU Country Eagles)
3. Duncan Chubb (Melbourne Rising)
4. Ben Hyne (Brisbane City)
5. Phil Potgieter (Queensland Country)
6. Dean Oakman-Hunt (UC Canberra Vikings)
7. Rowan Perry (UC Canberra Vikings)
8. Pauli Tuala (CSU Country Eagles)
9. Mitch Short (CSU Country Eagles)
10. Isaac Thompson (UC Canberra Vikings)
11. Maalonga Konelio (Perth Spirit)
12. Rodney Iona (UC Canberra Vikings)
13. Tom Hill (North Harbour Rays)
14. Larry Hermens (Greater Sydney Rams)
15. Paul Asquith (Greater Sydney Rams)

Reserves
16. Harry Scoble (Perth Spirit)
17. Jed Gillespie (Greater Sydney Rams)
18. Tyrel Lomax (UC Canberra Vikings)
19. Nick Palmer (CSU Country Eagles)
20. Waita Setu (Brisbane City)
21. Sam Figg (CSU Country Eagles)
22. Dewet Roos (Greater Sydney Rams)
23. Andrew Robinson (Sydney Stars)
Good to see Larry Hermens get a run. This guy can create. I haven't seen a single NRC game (I'm in NZ) so I can't really comment on any of the selections, other than to say Asquith has plenty of pace and Hill is a solid 12 (playing 13 though). Jed G has always shown promise and 2016 will be a key year for him (notwithstanding his youth). Figg will probably do OK at this level but may suffer for LOS (lack of size) syndrome - personally I think he's a handy player, just not big enough for a 6 or an 8 and not fast enough for a 7. Lee Grant would probably call him a Notta.

There is a 0.001% chance that I might be able to attend the second match of the series. If I get there I'll take some pics and submit some sort of report - but I must stress it is unlikely so it is best to assume we will have to rely on official reports. In any event, if I attend I'll probably have a couple of beers so official reports would no doubt be much more accurate!

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
That's no a bad team, but surely there's a better uncontracted tighthead running around than good auld chubby. No offence to the lad, but he's really a loosehead that can play 3 a bit.

Sent from my LG-P713 using Tapatalk

Jermaine Ainsley from the Spirit played pretty well in the couple of appearances he made.

Status
Not open for further replies.