• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2015 NSW AAGPS Competition

Who will be the AAGPS Premiers in 2015?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
All my searching suggests there was no 2014 thread for AAGPS Cricket, so with some hesitation I broach the subject.
My impression is that Newington, who won in 2014, will be similarly strong again this season.
I expect SJC to be their usual flawless selves and TSC to be strong as well.
Beyond that I await education.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
As an aside, where a Grammar playing at the moment. I went past Weigall end of November and the whole place was being redeveloped. Loooks like they're putting some decent money into it.

Grammar have had no home games in term 4.
Training at Drummoyne Oval and the SCG indoor nets.
Comes back into play (allegedly) from 3rd week.
$500k with proper drainage etc. Main pitch moved essentially back to where it was in the 70s.
Grammar are in Melbourne playing Brisbane and Melbourne grammars in Tri Grammar: the Sydney v Melbourne game has been played since 1876 - I am told that makes it the oldest cricket "comp" in the world.

Gary Owen III

Syd Malcolm (24)
Two rounds to go and TSC have the 1sts premiership all wrapped up. They have won the last three games outright.

Mathematically New could share spoils but New would need outright points in last two games and TSC lose both to share the premiership.

1sts Comp points after 5 rounds (from 7)
New 20
SIC 18
SJC 6
Shore 18
SGS 12
SBHS 0
TKS 18
TSC 36

Congrats Scots

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
GPS side for the NSW Schoolboys Cricket Championships to be held in Tamworth from 9-13 March:

Oliver Holder (Captain)Shore
Jordan Gauci (Vice-Captain) Newington College
Manus Chauhan The King’s School
Tom Fullerton Shore
James Goodman St Joseph’s College
Baxter Holt The King’s School
Will Lawrance The Scots College
James Loneragan St Ignatius College
Fergus McKenna Newington College
Oliver Mills The Scots College
Saahil Parekh Newington College
Alec Sheldon Sydney Grammar School
Angus Simpson The Scots College
Nic Taylor St Joseph’s College

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
I haven't been following the GPS cricket this season so my remarks are made in the full knowledge of my lack of information.
The last two posts make for interesting juxtaposition:
Scots have won the last 3 games outright; they have the premiership wrapped up; and today's results in the Herald show Scots 371 v Kings 4 - 36. Quite a dominant performance, yet the next post tells us that Scots only got 3 players selected into the 14-man GPS team.
It doesn't make sense to this admittedly late arrival to the forum. I would have thought their dominance would be based on a large number of high-perfroming individuals who would then go on to GPS selection.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
They have an absolutely outstanding player who is already picked in the Aus U19 team who did not trial and has not been picked. He took 5 for on his 1st grade debut and can bat.
I think they only sent 3 triallists and all were picked.

mike parker

Frank Nicholson (4)
GPS side for the NSW Schoolboys Cricket Championships to be held in Tamworth from 9-13 March:

Oliver Holder (Captain)Shore
Jordan Gauci (Vice-Captain) Newington College
Manus Chauhan The King’s School
Tom Fullerton Shore
James Goodman St Joseph’s College
Baxter Holt The King’s School
Will Lawrance The Scots College
James Loneragan St Ignatius College
Fergus McKenna Newington College
Oliver Mills The Scots College
Saahil Parekh Newington College
Alec Sheldon Sydney Grammar School
Angus Simpson The Scots College
Nic Taylor St Joseph’s College

Thomas Leaver would've been pushing for selection had it not been for his injury

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
In my eternal search for relevance I thought some might be interested to know that the entirely pointless bridge over Anzac Parade has a connection with the AAGPS.
It is named after Albert Tibby Cotter, an Old Sydneian.
Albert (Tibby) Cotter (1883-1917), cricketer, was born on 3 December 1883 at 132 Phillip Street, Sydney, sixth and youngest son of English-born John Henry Cotter, butcher, and his Scottish wife Margaret Hay, née Pattison. When he was 6 his family moved to Glebe. He was educated at the Forest Lodge Public School, where fellow-pupils included the cricketers Charles Kellaway and Warren Bardsley, and at Sydney Grammar School in 1899-1900. In the annual matches between the Sydney and Melbourne Grammar schools in Melbourne in 1899 he took 6 for 53, including the wicket of S. M. (Viscount) Bruce twice, and next year in Sydney took 7 for 57.
http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/cotter-albert-tibby-5785

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
You didn't mention Cotter's war record, IS. He was one of the few Australian test cricketers (the only one?) to die in WWI, he perished doing his duty as a stretcher bearer at Beersheba in 1917; THAT'S why he got a bridge named after him. IIRC there's mention of him somewhere in the War Memorial in Hyde Park.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
You didn't mention Cotter's war record, IS. He was one of the few Australian test cricketers (the only one?) to die in WWI, he perished doing his duty as a stretcher bearer at Beersheba in 1917; THAT'S why he got a bridge named after him. IIRC there's mention of him somewhere in the War Memorial in Hyde Park.

I shall look next time I'm passing.
Always makes me sad no matter how long ago the loss of young life in this way.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

I was listening to Rod Cavalier being interviewed just before the walkway was opened and I'm sure he said that Cotter was the only Australian test cricketer to die in WW1.

http://www.anzacday.org.au/justsoldiers/cotter.pdf

BeastieBoy

Herbert Moran (7)
i heard that Scots had a juniors clinic last school holidays at $4000 per head for 4 days with Michael Clarke and 40 odd boys attended. Is that true? if so thats an unbelievable amount of money. I don't know for sure but I've just been told.

Status
Not open for further replies.