• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2015 Schools Rowing

Status
Not open for further replies.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
I'm only a casual follower, but this would seem to be Joeys best HOTR for a long time.
Depends if you call a first the best for forty two years! That'd be a reasonable observation! But Joeys have jagged quite a few 2nds along the way and they've been good races. From 2010-12 Joeys ran a 7th, 6th and 6th and then turned it around from 2013-15 to a 2nd, 2nd and 1st... I think this HOTR follows on from some good form and culture change at the Joeys shed. Trouble is almost every shed will be following suit as the Scots results indicate.

Major Rennie

Herbert Moran (7)
Can only be good for rowing with everyone picking up their act. Joeys nabbed Bob Shirlaw from Shore and he will have been a big part of their improvement. Still have Uebergang and David Jennings though the former will want to retire one day. One of the most unassuming blokes you could meet and likes the rowing culture at Shore so hopefully stays for a while yet.

Now, lets make sure one of the GPS crews wins the Nationals and doesnt head interstate.

MR

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
And of course the connection between KT at Joeys from 2013-14 and then moving to Scots has had a similar flow through. Have met DJ and yes he is very unassuming and a man of few words OFF the water!

Major Rennie

Herbert Moran (7)
Was referring to Gary Ueburgang though doesn't matter. True gentleman. Ex Olympian, rowed with Bob Shirlaw from memory. These 2 got Shore rowing off the floor to where it is today. Hopefully DJ can keep the unassuming culture and performance in the years ahead.

MR

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
No doubt KT will be aiming to take the double next year. Someone with more detailed knowledge of individual boys in the top crews would be able to tell us how many of those 1st and 2nd VIIIs will be back next year and how many are Year 11s.

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
I think the other factor in the next 3-5 years is the age of head coaches like Big Bob and DJ. Boo Radley is a bit younger but still at least 35 years older than a KT or a Sarah Cook. There will be change at the top just as a matter of inevitability.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
I think you're right... It's interesting that the Joeys coach of the 1st and 2nd IVs is, I think, only in his early twenties and it may have been beginner's luck but bagging two first places is a damn good start for a young coach. Unlike DJ, KT or Ubergang, Shirlaw doesn't coach any specific crew there but floats up and down the ranks even into the Year 10s and probably beyond. Agree he has helped bring culture change to the Joeys shed and had a big impact.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
No doubt KT will be aiming to take the double next year. Someone with more detailed knowledge of individual boys in the top crews would be able to tell us how many of those 1st and 2nd VIIIs will be back next year and how many are Year 11s.
Scots result mirrors exactly KT's first year at Joeys. 2nd in 1st VIII and 1st in 2nd VIII... History repeating?

L

LBA

Let us not forget Dominic Grimm's crew - the Shore Yr 10 1st VIII those boys will be progressing to fight for a seat in the senior crews as well.

Dominic has prepared them well and obtained great results. Again a relative young man whose calm approach and ability has extracted the best from his allocated crew.

Watch this space - GPS Rowing is in the process of change and it started on Saturday. I sincerely hope my adoptive school continues to improve and perform.

Who knows if the coaches will change the crews they coach next year - like sands through the hourglass so are Days of our Rowing lives.

oarsome

Allen Oxlade (6)
Those Shore Year 10's will not be in the 1st 8 next year, I have it on good authority from one of the Yr 10 8 boys themselves, they said there is only one or two spots up for grabs in that boat, maybe that will change after Saturday's results.

I beg to differ. Two boys in that Junior 8 have sub 6.30 ergs (flats). The whole crew seems to row long and have a strong mentality. I don't see any reason why a few can't crack the 8.

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
Those Shore Year 10's will not be in the 1st 8 next year, I have it on good authority from one of the Yr 10 8 boys themselves, they said there is only one or two spots up for grabs in that boat, maybe that will change after Saturday's results.

Poppycock - Jennings will not make any decisions until after the ergs, sculling, and seat racing. I would bet money that at least 1/5 Yr11s in the 2nd VIII will not make the 1st VIII (as they will undoubtably assume is their right!). It would be unusual for there to be no boys from the best Yr10 VIII ever.

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
They are aware of it, every one has to have their DOB in races at State and Nationals, if you look at draw on regatta Central for Nationals, you will see the boys who are 19 and still in school, maybe not 20 but 19,

U19 in rowing precludes 19 year olds as it is based on age at 31/12, not 01/01, in year of competition. Hence a pathways boy can only compete if they were in the younger part of their year (eg born in 1998 for this Yr12).

T

TANDEM RIG

The shore Captain of Boats is actually young for his year, so he will still be 18 next year. This years Captain of boats for newington did pathways and he was not younger therefore 19

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Some people will get a rest unless they stop posting juvenile rubbish, hearsay and straight out crap. You should be able to work out who you are.

ShoreOB

Bob McCowan (2)
What are everyones thoughts for the Nationals eight, according to sources the 3 seat of shore has changed to one of the boys from the 1st Yr10 Eight

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Please explain !

Share your rowing knowledge as well as your cycling knowledge with the community / forum.

Eliminate the rubbish, hearsay and straight out crap. I am sure we would all be enlightened.

Find bike routes that match the way you ride - or find rowers who are equal to your ability and get in the boat and row!

But don't keep your so called knowledge and truth to yourself and sit in judgement of other peoples opinions or beliefs.
My job is to moderate these forums, and I answer to the guy who owns this place, and last time I checked, you're not part of the moderating process, so forgive me for not keeping you in the loop.
And just what my interest in, or knowledge of rowing has to do with that, I'm not sure.
But thanks for your invaluable input.

Status
Not open for further replies.